Author Topic: Front Springs too soft/ dilemma  (Read 1675 times)

4cruzer

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Aug '08
    • View Profile
Front Springs too soft/ dilemma
« on: Mar 09, 2010, 09:53:30 PM »
Hi there;
I did search, I am pretty new to this forum (though I've been lurkin') and I think you may have to rack up more than four posts to get that search to work well... Not a great big Pirate fan, I like it here and over at Expo.
Anyhow, I have an 85 runner. There is a lower, relocated spring hanger, and there are boomerang shackles attached to a typical rear springs up front mixed pack. Chevy springs in rear; standard set up. There is a full spare on the back and the standard camping gear; nothing too heavy. Never more than two people.
My problem is that the springs are too soft; mainly the front. I run 33's and I like it that way. I like the truck low; the springs sit fairly flat and have tons of negative travel. The truck doesn't rub (2.75" BS), sits low, and gets around pretty good on the trail.
I have Bilstein 5100 shocks...
It can get pretty hectic on the freeway; some rocking going on every so often. So bad that I've had to brake and get the truck right before getting back to speed. Some scary stuff.
I don't so much mind the occasional nose dive upon braking, it's the high speed, unsafe body roll.
Any advice?
Do you think better shocks (or two per front wheel) would help this? I have no problem adding springs, but I don't want to go any higher.
I was thinking about getting some Bilstein 7100's with some heavier valving?? Sway bar?? If I need the latter, I don't have a clue where to start looking...
Thanks for any help...
GB

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Re: Front Springs too soft/ dilemma
« Reply #1 on: Mar 09, 2010, 09:59:20 PM »
Are your front shocks still good?

You could try swapping one or two of your front springs for a heavier spring.  When I did my SAS (granted, its on 1 tons), I mixed toy and chevy leafs in my front spring packs, and they're great.  Sounds like a similar setup, my springs sit almost flat, plenty of travel. 
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 19177
  • Male Posts: 2,324
  • Member since Feb '04
  • The 1st 3RZ swap 99'-01'
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
« Reply #2 on: Mar 09, 2010, 10:13:40 PM »
Solution...
www.4WHEELUNDERGROUND.com
info@4wheelunderground.com
AKA The GODFATHER The 3RZ Original

Performance Tuned shocks for Leaf Sprung Vehicles   http://www.4wheelunderground.com/Tuning.html

4cruzer [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Aug '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 10, 2010, 07:25:32 AM »
thanks for the input. I might need to look for a rear main leaf from a pack with a small lift...
Just don't want to make the truck too high.
Wouldn't better shocks just be a band aid? I have a feeling the root of the issue is spring related.
Anyway, thanks again

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 10, 2010, 12:37:34 PM »
Sway bar with quick disconnects or the torsion type sway bar that you do not have to disconnect.
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

4cruzer [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Aug '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 11, 2010, 07:28:37 AM »
Thanks again for the input. I think I'll look around for a couple thicker main leafs and maybe put another shock (or upgrade shocks) at each front wheel. Installing a sway bar seems like a great pain in the ass.
GB

wesley

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Member since Mar '10
  • you gotta get a little mud on the tires
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 11, 2010, 07:45:18 PM »
forget the sway bar on a solid axle... who does that. dont bother with a second shock. just get heavying valved ones. but that is a band air like you said. find some toyota or mazda rears. the shorter leaves are the ones that really help stabalize the load and the long ones are better used for flex. i dont know exactly how your pack is build but maybe try swapping a couple leaves our for some smaller ones from a doner leaf pack. along with some new shocks that should put an end to your death wobble and not lift you more than 0-1 inch. good luck

wesley

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Member since Mar '10
  • you gotta get a little mud on the tires
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar 11, 2010, 07:47:09 PM »
and when i say smaller ones i dont mean the tiny little filler leaves. i mean like small/medium length