Author Topic: chevy 63" rear springs  (Read 12804 times)

awhotrods

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 154
  • Male Posts: 1,203
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
chevy 63" rear springs
« on: Dec 03, 2004, 11:50:17 AM »
Just wondering what everyone thinks of using chevy 2wd 63" leafs on the back of a toyota.  I have an 82 4WD I'm in the process of building, buying parts for, and have heard these springs are really flexy.  Does anyone know if they ride nice?  Thanks

Marketing

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -30
  • Male Posts: 1,639
  • Member since Aug '03
    • View Profile
Re: chevy 63" rear springs
« Reply #1 on: Dec 03, 2004, 11:59:49 AM »
Most people end up using blocks to get enough lift. Personally I don't like lift blocks.

camo89

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 308
  • Member since Apr '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 03, 2004, 12:37:53 PM »
I HATED MY " chevies
mopar parts

awhotrods [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 03, 2004, 12:41:21 PM »
why did you hate them?  I'm trying to figure out exactly what the pros and cons to using these springs are.

camo89

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 03, 2004, 01:34:35 PM »
the flex was ok the ride was crap the rock ancors sucked the facct i had to run blocks to get the lift i nede plus the adaleaf double hackles or long ass shackle or droped mount i just said piss on it and went with a new truck which has B2s i have also used 1ton chevy main leaf with xj leafs it worked awsome
mopar parts

awhotrods [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 03, 2004, 03:28:50 PM »
my truck has a all pro flat bed kit, so its pretty light, has anyone ran the 63" springs and liked'em?

billy hill

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -102
  • Male Posts: 150
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 03, 2004, 03:29:40 PM »
 I didn't need blocks when I did mine. But, I made the mistake of getting springs that weren't broke in. I guess the secret to running those springs is to get the oldest ones you can find. That way they are really broke in. So, in my case pretty much the only flex I had was cause of the double shackles. As for the ride, just try to get a good angle on your shackles. And you'll have a pretty good ride. I have seen people running that set up with great results. But they just aint my cup of tea... IMO I think that they are way too long. You can find a shorter spring that will flex just as well.
official mall crawlin pavment pounder #1

billy hill

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -102
  • Male Posts: 150
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 03, 2004, 03:52:24 PM »
  here is an example. By the way, I was trying to measure for shocks.
official mall crawlin pavment pounder #1

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Dec 03, 2004, 04:32:47 PM »
i've got chevies, no complaints here.  i dont really drag them, but i have my hitch on right now as well.  the ride is fine, i have had worse in my stock ramcharger, and i dont have blocks either
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

MidgetMike

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 55
  • Male Posts: 668
  • Member since Sep '04
  • My 83 soon to be the sh%*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Dec 03, 2004, 07:52:55 PM »
Chevies lick ass, they flex alright nothing to brag about, you'll probaly need blocks no mater what springs you use unless you drop the perches and shackle hangers. I drag mine and the stick them into :pokinit: when I back up, the best thing about chevies are their ride and less axle wrap. do mazda or chevy or some other 56 inch spring just stiffen the pack for lift and to lesson the axle wrap run the long end forward. but it's up to you if you want some I'll sell you mine  :twocents:  :turtle:
Sounds like more tree huggin hippie bull :pokinit:

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Dec 03, 2004, 08:11:51 PM »
I like mine.  They ride good on the road.  I do have to run 4 inch lift blocks to get the height that i want.  I use the double shackle and it gets a lit of down travel.  The only things i don't like about them are using the blocks and they do hit a lot of rocks because they hang out there.  As you can see in the picture they flex pretty good.  Tan truck on the right.

BTW- I have rancho 5012 rear shocks and they are too short.  They limit the down travel.

camo89

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Dec 03, 2004, 09:13:54 PM »
YEP thay work but you can get the same flex if not better out of mazda or some outher 56" spring even the 3" wide fords work as good as the chevys just less crap in the way
mopar parts

awhotrods [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Dec 03, 2004, 10:23:59 PM »
Thanks for all the input, I have a set of 63" springs, I'm just not sure if I'm going to use them..  Anyone else running these?

Kyron

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Dec '02
  • I need a Thneed
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Dec 03, 2004, 10:28:49 PM »
If I could do it over again I wouldnt do the Chevys ....... I did them tring to save some $$

The first set I got were WASTED!! I thought that getting them off a work truck would be smart as they would be broken in already, They sat flat.

So then I bought a 3" block.........

Then the springs wraped pretty bad........

So then I bought the long Add A leafs and threw them in......

The rear sat lower than the front (All Pro 4") by about 2"

........ I finnaly ended up buying lifted chevys........ I should have just bought the matching AP rear springs and been done with it, in the end I spent more money than I was tring to save...........

I stayed with the chevys because I already had the mounts in place  :smack:

the front mounts are not that bad BUT forget about bobbing your bed with chevys, there that long in the rear

WHITE_TRASH

• Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Dec 04, 2004, 06:14:51 AM »
Its been said but its worth repeating, ROCK ANCHORS!  They suck.  Ill prove it in my bucket buildup.  Im going to rework the 44044's this weekend to see if I can get them to flex to my liking and if not they are going away.  The same with the chevies in the rear.  Just to prove my point Im going to get the front setup and see just what kinda travel it ends up with, then Im going to do my own setup that I have proven works and prove that my current setup is crap.  Of course Ill keep yall posted. :gap:
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

UNBREAKABLE

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 372
  • Male Posts: 2,028
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Yeah, I guess you could say I'm a RockStar
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Dec 04, 2004, 05:20:13 PM »
I'm running 63" chevys. NO BLOCKS AND RUNNING 38.5x16 BOGGERS!!! If you build a drop hanger setup you don't have to run blocks
That's how I roll

militarymudder

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 73
  • Member since Dec '04
  • if my tires are higher than my cab..... HELP!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Dec 04, 2004, 06:41:22 PM »
i run the chevies and so far so good, the only thing i would due different up till now is look a lil more cause the springs are HUGE!!!!! i am also thinking about cutting down the springs in the pack by about a inch or two on each side... doing this in hopes of a lil more flex.... also contemplating a buggie set up like hyenas buddies...... over all in my opinion no matter what u run, shocks and brakelines are the limit...
84 toy, bobbed, chevy rears, rear toy fronts, locked f/r, 5 in of lift, 5:29s, rebuilt 20 r, 34 in swampers, 8000 lb ramsey to take me where the lead foot is to heavy!!!...
future mods... crossover steering, and dual ultimate crawler !!!
 this is the KRITT'R GITT'R express... so get in, sit down, shut up, and HANG ON

mr4x42u

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 700
  • Member since Sep '02
  • LOCKED AND LOADED
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Dec 09, 2004, 10:32:17 AM »
the problem with the chevies is people are putting are running them in  rigs that carry no wight..They seem to work best in 4runners,,a bit more weight..You can't put a spring from a heay truck and expect them to flex in a light rig..I have seen many perform very well,,rokdog on pirate has this set up,,flexes very nice,,I don't run blocks and I don't run long ass shackles  and I run 36 irocks..I think there a advantange ,,set up right they will help slide your rig up on the rocks and help your tire to grab,,
I have no complaints but do see some rigs that don't don;t so so well under,,mnostly lighter rigs like I said..if your going to use a bigger heavy spring then you need a hevier truck,,think about it..

No flex,,?? :hammer:
they don't flex at all :shake:

Forgiveness is between them and god..
Its my job to arrange the meeting!

neil426

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 74
  • Member since Apr '04
  • Elite Stone Stacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Dec 09, 2004, 07:00:58 PM »
I've got the chev's and bobbed the bed 9". As far as the ride its a little stiff but could be a lot better with softer shocks. I run the es9000. I do run a 1.75 taperd steel lift block with the dual shckle setup. It flexes good but could be better with different/ longer shocks.

GJC

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 23
  • Member since Oct '04
  • 50%
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Dec 13, 2004, 07:30:51 PM »
I put them in cause they were cheap, Haven't run them on a trail yet though  :greengrin:
81' Long bed, 38.5's sx's  welded front and  rear, chevies, rears up front, Dual casesW/4.7's Hydro assist and a dent.

Jared

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 170
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Rolled baby.... IN front of my house....
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Dec 13, 2004, 07:40:33 PM »
if you want to run chevies here is what i suggest.   I would consider running a 57 inch wagoneer main leaf.  you would have to weld your front hangers 10.5 inches forward.   then I would get a chevy pack and cut them down to fit the waggy main.  you could use your stock rear hangers on the truck and still get as much flex just not as much rock anchoring.....
ah the beauty of a cuttin torch

awhotrods [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Dec 14, 2004, 03:11:11 PM »
I'm confused, I talked to all pro awhile about their 56" 4" lift springs for the back, and they said the chevies would be better for my truck because I have no bed.  (lighter truck) it seems like people have kind of a hit or miss with the 63" springs.  They went on to explain that their spring was for a full weight rig, and would probably ride like crap.  Does anyone know what most people run in the back on a light, flat beded truck?

Northern Runner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 144
  • Male Posts: 155
  • Member since Aug '03
  • The Heart Beat of Japan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Dec 14, 2004, 05:51:57 PM »
I have to agree with MR4X4. I have the chevys on the rear of my 90 Runner and they are extremely soft. You need the weight on them.

mr4x42u

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 700
  • Member since Sep '02
  • LOCKED AND LOADED
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Dec 15, 2004, 10:53:43 AM »
I'm confused, I talked to all pro awhile about their 56" 4" lift springs for the back, and they said the chevies would be better for my truck because I have no bed. 

not true,,you need weight to make the chevy springs work with a single shackle set up..

there is conflict with 63 chevies becaue people put them on light trucks and they don't flex well,,If you don't have weight to push the spring down during flex how will it flex?,,it won;t
The more arch a spring has the less it will flex,,thats why people like flat springs..but flat springs gives you no lift and lift blocks induce axle wrap(also bad)..so you need to find your trucks happy medium,,more of an arched spring with less leafs in the pack,,the bad to this,,axle wrap,,so a track bar will need to be built,,its a catch 22 and playing with combos will be the only way to get what you want..the other side is a flat spring and a saws all to fit the bigger tires.,,my front springs are the stock rear springs mixed in with downey 2 1/2 in lift springs,,gives me a total of 6 leafs,,(soft,yes,,,,thick, yes,,some axle wrap,,good flex makes me happy,,the bonus,,cheap,almost flat and just enough lift to fit 36's.yet because there soft wrap was a problem but with 6 leafs and a cut over lad at the botton i have a small amount of wrap..just an example of mix and match..
Forgiveness is between them and god..
Its my job to arrange the meeting!

GRM

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #24 on: Dec 16, 2004, 12:26:56 PM »
I'm confused, I talked to all pro awhile about their 56" 4" lift springs for the back, and they said the chevies would be better for my truck because I have no bed.  (lighter truck) it seems like people have kind of a hit or miss with the 63" springs.  They went on to explain that their spring was for a full weight rig, and would probably ride like crap.  Does anyone know what most people run in the back on a light, flat beded truck?

The all pros were designed around a full bodied 4runner.

I personally felt my chevys were too sot on my 4runner, so I tossed in an add a leaf last night. Still need longer U bolts so I can put my overloads back on, but so far, the truck is much more controlable.

You want a leaf spring that will almost do it all, you'll have to pay for them, but deavers do kick ass.

For me, 8" of travel at the shock per wheel is still enough to keep my truck stable on the trail.

awhotrods [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Dec 17, 2004, 09:58:32 AM »
The flatbed I am building will probably weigh about the same or more as the stock one.  I wonder if that will be enough to make the chevies work properly.  I already have them, so thats why I am considering them.  Thanks for all the input!!!

bluetoy84

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -100
  • Male Posts: 300
  • Member since Jun '04
  • rice bouncer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Dec 17, 2004, 11:59:31 AM »
My flatbed is very similar to the all-pro design, and yes it is light weight . I'm running 56" Mazda springs on mine, and it rides and flexes great. I used the 3 Mazda leafs and one more lower leaf with the toyota overloads. Had to build a trac bar because it had some serious axle wrap.

I agree with everyone else, I think the chevies are good for a 4-runner , but would ride like a log truck on yours with a light weight flatbed.
TOYOTA FOUR WHEEL DRIVE..............need I say more?

awhotrods [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Dec 20, 2004, 11:04:38 PM »
I'm going to run some 56" 4" lift springs instead.  Anyone interested in buying a really clean set of 63" chevy springs?  I paid $130 for them, but will sell'm for $100.  Located near Sacramento.