Author Topic: SAS shackle tube moved forward in frame?  (Read 3422 times)

wood

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -18
  • Male Posts: 51
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
SAS shackle tube moved forward in frame?
« on: Nov 30, 2004, 06:16:32 PM »
I have been searching for hours on pirate and I am just not finding what I need. I want to know if using a standard shackle tube (supplied in sas kits) can be mounted in the frame about 2" forward of where everyone recommends them? Would the tube be long enough to do this? Maybe if someone has a SAS done the could look and see if it could be done without major problems. (ie the tube is too short on the inside or something like that. I already know the body mount will need to be modified.

I have a pair of front all-pro 4" 1.5" longer than stock springs but I want to move the front forward about 2.5" and move the shackle tube forward 2" that would put me at about 45.5" from front eye to shackle frame mount. I will prolly run a 1.5" longer than stock shackle. I guess that my axle will be forward about 2.5".

I will  also need to move the steering box to run hy-steer if I do the above.

Thanks for any help
New project--1988 4Runner Currently stock, but not for long!
www.HCOR4x4.org

UNBREAKABLE

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 372
  • Male Posts: 2,028
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Yeah, I guess you could say I'm a RockStar
    • View Profile
Re: SAS shackle tube moved forward in frame?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2004, 06:55:46 PM »
I don't understand why you want to move it that far forward. Please elaborate
That's how I roll

MidgetMike

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 55
  • Male Posts: 668
  • Member since Sep '04
  • My 83 soon to be the sh%*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 2004, 08:19:00 PM »
Dude doesn't the frame start narrowing right in front of the body mount where the shackle tube sits, it would seem that the frame might interfear with your shackle on droop, run a longer leaf and put the shackle tube where it is on a factory solid axle to aviod an unnecessary head ache, my axle is 3" forward on a 48" leaf hanging off the stock shackle tube, I just moved the drop box forward for a good shackle angle and to keep my shackle from bottoming on the frame and body mount. I'm sure you got your plan laid out though so I hope it works out    :driving:   :turtle:
Sounds like more tree huggin hippie bull :pokinit:

wood [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2004, 09:06:14 PM »
I don't understand why you want to move it that far forward. Please elaborate

I want a longer wheelbase (about 105-106) but because it is a 4runner I can't really move the rear axle much without major change. So I figured moving the axle forward about 2.5-3" and the rear axle back 1" will give me the wheelbase I want. Also moving the front axle forward will give me better clearance at the rear fender/rocker area. I know the frame narrows in front of the area you would normally insert the tube but that is why I asked. To see if maybe someone who has done an SAS could look to see if the tube could be moved forward about two inches.

Basicly I want to extend the front end of the frame about 2.5" (weld in a 2.5 x 2.5 square tube right in front of the factory crossmember) then hang the spring hanger below that. Resulting in moving the front eye forward about 2.5 - 3". Then the shackle tube would be moved forward to match. I don't want to get different springs, I already have these and I got them for a great deal. The other thing that extending the front of the frame will do isl allow me to have better clearance for a winch. If this doesn't explain I will try and draw up a diagram of what I am thinking. I just like to overthink things and see what my options could be. I just might be a little :screwy: 

For what it's worth the 4Runner is an 1988
www.HCOR4x4.org

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2205
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #4 on: Nov 30, 2004, 09:26:48 PM »
Hey wood this is a nice idea, keep us updated with some pics if you discover it can be done :thumbs:
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

wood [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 30, 2004, 10:17:32 PM »
ok...I borrowed a pic from FoxFab and did some chopping. I also didn't really think about the measurments very well. The front spring hanger would be 3" forward from stock and the shackle tube will be 1.5" from stock{I typed 1.5" in the pic but I still am thinking 2" forward}. I think Chris says to only move the front spring eye mount like 1/2" to 1" to yeild a better shackle angle(i'm still researching at this point) But anyway, here is a pic of what I am thinking. I am still new to modifing pics but I think ya'll will understand. Let me know what ya'll think, good, bad or indifferent.

www.HCOR4x4.org

Salvo

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -19
  • Member since May '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 30, 2004, 10:29:28 PM »
use longer rear toyota springs up front... cannot remember what year they were out of but a friend just did the same thing moved teh front hanger 3" forward and used the stock rear shackle mount... worked perfect and awsome flex... i think he used 58" springs in the front..

MidgetMike

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 55
  • Male Posts: 668
  • Member since Sep '04
  • My 83 soon to be the sh%*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Nov 30, 2004, 11:52:05 PM »
Yeah I know,Ii moved my axle forward 3" with out changing the shackle hanger location, My drop box moved the axle forward 1" where I was supposed to mount it then I welded the drop box forward an xtra inch for shackle angle, then welded a 3 hole 3/8" plate on to my perch stock spring pin hole then 1 hole -1" forward and 1hole - 1" back of the stock spring pin hole then dropped the spring in the rear hole for another inch forward 3" total and ass loads of flex. my wheel base was around 114".
Sounds like more tree huggin hippie bull :pokinit:

WHITE_TRASH

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Dec 01, 2004, 05:51:06 AM »
It can be done but you have to offset the shackle itself a bit to compensate.  Like on my 90 I moved the shackle tube like you are talking about and I used "fatboy" shackles.  I ended up using the spacers on the inside of the spring instead of on both sides to make up for the difference in frame width at that point.
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??