Author Topic: Lets See Your Aftermarket Gauges  (Read 17134 times)

Kurlee Daddee

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 206
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Dank Daddee Krew
    • View Profile
Lets See Your Aftermarket Gauges
« on: Feb 04, 2010, 07:22:52 AM »
I am looking to install some aftermarket gauges in my truck since I don't really want to rely on the idiot gauges. I am going to install oil pressure and water temp gauges. If you have a set of aftermarket gauges in your truck, please post pics.
Kurlee Daddee
(THE ORIGINAL)
2005 Cadillac CTS-V
2003 Subaru WRX

bleakhorizon

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Male Posts: 803
  • Member since Jul '07
  • I'm not being rude. You're just insignificant.
    • View Profile
Re: Lets See Your Aftermarket Gauges
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2010, 09:07:27 PM »

not TOO pretty but they work.....only prob i got is there VERY bright at night, need to hook up a rheostat
Those are some huge welds!

Tillamook, OR

2manytoys

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 490
  • Male Posts: 583
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2010, 10:33:14 PM »
bleakhorizon, color your bulbs with a sharpie. I used a black one on the tip my highbeam indicator bulb so it didn't blind me. I can still see it just fine.

It's a quick fix until you get it rewired.
88 Pickup SAS'd, 3.4 V6, R151F Hybrid, Dual Ultimate, Triple sticks, 35's, 5.29's, HP front, V6 rear, Aussies, 63" Chevs, Anti Wrap Bar, Warn 8274 on Home Built Bumper

4WU linked 86 Xtra Cab build in progress

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1088
  • Male Posts: 9,756
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2010, 12:15:49 AM »
You can get bulb socks at auto parts stores too, work great for dimming the light.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Kurlee Daddee [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Dank Daddee Krew
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2010, 08:46:33 AM »
I remember getting those bulb socks with Autometer gauges that I have bought in the past.

Looks good bleak. Are those electric gauges or mechanical. I assume electrical since you don't want lines filled with oil and water going back up and into the cabin.

Anyone else? I need ideas.
Kurlee Daddee
(THE ORIGINAL)
2005 Cadillac CTS-V
2003 Subaru WRX

bleakhorizon

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 06, 2010, 10:47:49 AM »
actually the oil and water are mechanical......  i wanted it about as fool proof as possible...  The water temp doesn't actually carry water to the gauge it uses a shielded type (copper?) wire i believe (sort of like a choke cable)... The oil however does carry oil to the gauge, but I dont use that crappy plastic hose they supply with the gauges i use copper tubing and make sure you use a grommet in the firewall. i do however keep a small stock of repair parts and pipe plugs just in case there is a leak...

Here is a question for everyone who has a mech oil gauge..... were did you tap into the supply...  i took the plug out under the oil filter and left the stock location.... 

Tillamook, OR

steveco.

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 16
  • Male Posts: 321
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 06, 2010, 03:30:20 PM »
The water temp doesn't actually carry water to the gauge it uses a shielded type (copper?) wire i believe (sort of like a choke cable)... The oil however does carry oil to the gauge, but I dont use that crappy plastic hose they supply with the gauges i use copper tubing and make sure you use a grommet in the firewall. i do however keep a small stock of repair parts and pipe plugs just in case there is a leak...

Here is a question for everyone who has a mech oil gauge..... were did you tap into the supply...  i took the plug out under the oil filter and left the stock location.... 

That copper type wire has Mercury in it.

For the Mech oil gauge i tapped it also under the oil filter as well. works great.
Let's put a smile on that face!

75 toy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 164
  • Male Posts: 332
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 06, 2010, 04:07:52 PM »
I just bought cheap gauges from auto zone. I have the expensive ones in my tow rig.  I had a truck once that showed overheating problems that had a mechanical water temp gauge(a more autometer). The problem turned out to be the gauge was not accurate. I have since heard from race guys that they ( the ones I talked to) never run mechanical water gauges because they are commonly not accurate.  I don't know but I run electric temp gauges and have not had a problem with them.
 I'm still trying to decide what to put in the last hole. The unlabeled switches are open and the idiot lights are for my alternator and check engine light.

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 06, 2010, 04:39:10 PM »
Here is the one I made for my '90 for 2" gauges.

I used cheap gauges from Napa.  The water temp gauge lasted about 2yrs, before it started reading high this past summer when it started shooting up 280* before the engine was even warm to the touch.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #9 on: Feb 06, 2010, 05:43:58 PM »

I'm still trying to decide what to put in the last hole. The unlabeled switches are open and the idiot lights are for my alternator and check engine light.

Oil temp or vacuum( if it's not a 22R).   Vacuum gauge on a 22R is more like an on/off indicator.....
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

bleakhorizon

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Feb 06, 2010, 08:53:05 PM »
I had a truck once that showed overheating problems that had a mechanical water temp gauge(a more autometer). The problem turned out to be the gauge was not accurate. I have since heard from race guys that they ( the ones I talked to) never run mechanical water gauges because they are commonly not accurate. 

hmmmm i will have to watch that but never had a problem so far.....

as an update im upgrading my fuel tank and getting a different sender, and as that and the tach are the only things i still use on my SR5 cluster.. Im pulling it and throwing all the gauges plus a tach and fuel gauge in the dash..... 

whatya think should i get the 12" monster tach with shift light lol

Tillamook, OR

75 toy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Feb 06, 2010, 10:34:29 PM »
Oil temp or vacuum( if it's not a 22R).   Vacuum gauge on a 22R is more like an on/off indicator.....

Its a 4.3 vortec v6.    It will probebly be a trans temp gauge.

Kurlee Daddee [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Dank Daddee Krew
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Feb 09, 2010, 11:31:35 AM »
So where are you guys putting your Oil Pressure and Water Temperature sensors on the motor? Did you splice into the original wires for the dash? Did you have to drill and tap new threads for the sensor for each gauge?

Also, do most gauges such as VDO and Auto Meter come with the sensor itself? Or do you have to buy it as and accessory?
Kurlee Daddee
(THE ORIGINAL)
2005 Cadillac CTS-V
2003 Subaru WRX

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Feb 09, 2010, 04:44:23 PM »
For the oil pressure sending unit I just used the stock location.  For the water temp, I fab'd up a section of pipe and installed it between the rad and the t-stat housing.

Not exactly the cleanest way, but the t-stat housing really isn't all that thick.
I ran all new wiring, making them separate from the oem system.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.

Kurlee Daddee [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Dank Daddee Krew
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Feb 09, 2010, 05:02:55 PM »
For the oil pressure sending unit I just used the stock location.  For the water temp, I fab'd up a section of pipe and installed it between the rad and the t-stat housing.

Not exactly the cleanest way, but the t-stat housing really isn't all that thick.
I ran all new wiring, making them separate from the oem system.

If you unhook the stock oil pressure sending unit in favor of the aftermarket one, will you get a low oil pressure light on the dash? That is my only concern with doing that. I was thinking about installing a "T" fitting and keeping both sending units.

Also with your water temp housing. I think they sell those at Summit, right?
Kurlee Daddee
(THE ORIGINAL)
2005 Cadillac CTS-V
2003 Subaru WRX

pumkin toy

• Turtle Points: -4
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Do You Know A Sweeney Bro?
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #15 on: Feb 09, 2010, 05:17:25 PM »
here is a pic of the pillar pod in my rig.  I need to get a third gauge to put in
97 4runner Limited
4runner Build Thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=54076.1410#lastPost

Started my own fab business recently check out the website  www.c4fabrication.com

also follow C4Fab on facebook for regular updates on projects. http://www.facebook.com/pages/C4-Fabrication/454285357953823

75 toy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Feb 09, 2010, 06:58:19 PM »
So where are you guys putting your Oil Pressure and Water Temperature sensors on the motor? Did you splice into the original wires for the dash? Did you have to drill and tap new threads for the sensor for each gauge?

Also, do most gauges such as VDO and Auto Meter come with the sensor itself? Or do you have to buy it as and accessory?

All electric gauges that I know of come with their own senders. You have to use them so the gauge is accurate.

BTW if you want some sweet gauges here is a shot of my auto meter cobalt gauges in my tow rig. They are pricy but I went to ebay and got them from a guy in Florida for about 2/3 what they were at Kragen.

OOPS

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Feb 09, 2010, 08:36:00 PM »
Here is one I made about 13 years ago when I first got my truck. It is made from PVC pipe fittings and plexglas. I had to get rid of it when I installed the cage.

This is what I am running now.

Here is how I mounted my temp. sensor. Drilled and tapped the thermostat housing, screwed the brass fitting in and JB welded into place.

David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #18 on: Feb 09, 2010, 09:46:24 PM »
Vacuum gauge on a 22R is more like an on/off indicator.....

:laugh:  :yesnod:
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Feb 10, 2010, 08:29:14 PM »
If you unhook the stock oil pressure sending unit in favor of the aftermarket one, will you get a low oil pressure light on the dash? That is my only concern with doing that. I was thinking about installing a "T" fitting and keeping both sending units.

Also with your water temp housing. I think they sell those at Summit, right?

The gauges are on my '90 w/the 3.0, and since there was never a turbo model, I don't think there are any housings made w/any  bungs on them.

My 3.0 came w/the touring package(tack, oil, charge gauges), so there isn't a low oil light.  I had originally planned to run the oem oil gauge as well, but was lazy the day I hooked up the gauges and didn't feel like finding another oil port, or trying to use a "T" and two sending units.

Kurlee Daddee [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Dank Daddee Krew
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Feb 15, 2010, 04:15:22 PM »
Anyone know the I.D. of the upper radiator hose on a 22RE? I am trying to order one of these:

http://www.jegs.com/i/Auto+Meter/105/2282/10002/-1

to install a water temperature sensor on. Jegs sells 2 types. 1 1/4" and 1 1/2". Please let me know.

I also found this one for cheaper:

http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/28-mm-water-sender-attachment-1.aspx?utm_source=google%2bbase&utm_medium=product%2bfeed&utm_campaign=google%2bbase+feed

Is it 1.31" or 34MM? Found some info here: http://www.google.com/products?q=1985+22re+upper+radiator+hose+id&hl=en&aq=f

« Last Edit: Feb 15, 2010, 04:31:41 PM by Kurlee Daddee »
Kurlee Daddee
(THE ORIGINAL)
2005 Cadillac CTS-V
2003 Subaru WRX

emsvitil

• Turtle Points: 7571
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #21 on: Feb 15, 2010, 04:36:56 PM »
Look the part up at rockauto..............
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Kurlee Daddee [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Dank Daddee Krew
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Feb 15, 2010, 05:36:27 PM »
Look the part up at rockauto..............

GATES Part # 21398 13.6" length 1.38 I.D.

Guess I am ordering the 36mm since that is the closest to 1 3/8" or 35.05mm.
Kurlee Daddee
(THE ORIGINAL)
2005 Cadillac CTS-V
2003 Subaru WRX

Kurlee Daddee [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Dank Daddee Krew
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Feb 22, 2010, 01:35:20 PM »
For those that installed aftermarket gauges, which hot wire did you tap into for power?

Or did you tap into the lightswitch wire so the bulbs can be turned on and off?
« Last Edit: Mar 10, 2010, 07:21:00 AM by Kurlee Daddee »
Kurlee Daddee
(THE ORIGINAL)
2005 Cadillac CTS-V
2003 Subaru WRX

81yotalove

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 310
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Apr 23, 2010, 09:12:28 PM »
for you guys who have installed aftermarket gauges and removed the stock sending units. did it mess with the ecu and operation of the engine? im looking to do this for oil pressure and water temp since my cluster got fryed and i want more accurate readings. thanks in advance.
81 swb 22re 35's

OOPS

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Apr 24, 2010, 08:33:07 PM »
for you guys who have installed aftermarket gauges and removed the stock sending units. did it mess with the ecu and operation of the engine? im looking to do this for oil pressure and water temp since my cluster got fryed and i want more accurate readings. thanks in advance.
Nope as far as the oil pressure, water temp. I left the stock sender in place and mounted the aftermarket sender in a different place.
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

SamuelEngelking

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -5
  • Male Posts: 253
  • Member since Jan '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Apr 25, 2010, 10:08:26 AM »
84 Toyota Ext, 5.29's Locked Up, 4.7's, 37's KM2, 17" KMC Wheels,
Hydro assist, Propane, Headers, Body Armor, Some Bump In The Trunk..

Redbeard1

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 54
  • Male Posts: 414
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
    • Project Pete
« Reply #27 on: Apr 25, 2010, 05:53:23 PM »

I need some pics of your dash cover and door skins
If you dont stand behind our Troops... you can stand infront of them...
Project Pete==> http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=43370.0
85 Toy: Built 22re, locked F, spooled R, 5.29's, R151F, MCO7 duals, Sky x-member 37 MT/R's on jack stands  

RIP Bobby Long

81yotalove

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 310
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Apr 14, 2011, 06:43:14 PM »
hopefully someone could help me out here. from searching the web i found autometer 2275 to be the adapter i need to mount my aftermarket temp sender beside the head in between fuel injectors two and three. however i can not get this adapter the screw the hole. when i put the stock sender against the adpater its the same thread pitch and a 16 mm wrench just barely slip over both. my question does the stock sender have a slight taper to it? i have also heard of putting the sender in the coolant block drain? thanks for any help.
81 swb 22re 35's

ninjasyota

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 41
  • Member since Nov '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Apr 28, 2011, 11:15:54 AM »
I just bought cheap gauges from auto zone. I have the expensive ones in my tow rig.  I had a truck once that showed overheating problems that had a mechanical water temp gauge(a more autometer). The problem turned out to be the gauge was not accurate. I have since heard from race guys that they ( the ones I talked to) never run mechanical water gauges because they are commonly not accurate.  I don't know but I run electric temp gauges and have not had a problem with them. 
Just throw a clock in the open space!! :banana:
1994 Toyota P/U, Marlin Crawler SAS 4 inch with 85 axle, ARB's front and rear, 35" X-Terrains, Marlin Crawler rear bumper. Marlin crawler front stinger bumper.5.29's 4XInnovations Sliders, Warn 9.5cti