Author Topic: spring/shackle angle  (Read 6613 times)

dweinberg01

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 122
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
spring/shackle angle
« on: Jan 19, 2010, 11:43:16 AM »
When I first bought my truck, I had TG 5" springs on it. One of the  rear springs was negative arched and so I changed the rear springs to the Marlin 6" rears.  My problem is that now my drivers side shackle angle, the bottom is pointing more toward the front of the truck \ and my passenger shackle is straight up and down.  I don't want to fold my springs under. My original shackle angle was about 45* back with the TG springs.  I only have one short trial ride on the Marlins with no heavy flexing. I figure they haven't broken in yet, but still don't want to kill them by having the shackle go the wrong way.

Any way to fix this?
« Last Edit: Jan 19, 2010, 11:50:33 AM by dweinberg01 »

-Jake-

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 538
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
Re: spring/shackle angle
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2010, 12:21:27 PM »
you could pull a leaf or 2 out of the pack until they settle some more maybe
81 Hilux, E-Lockers, 5.29s, Duals, 30 spline Longfields, 8274 Warn, 40" Iroks, F150s and RUF

DeadlyPeace

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 593
  • Member since Nov '07
  • HEAVILY medicated for your protection!
    • View Profile
    • ToyotaOffRoad
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2010, 12:37:07 PM »
The only other thing would to get shorter shackles of course if you have stock ones this won't work. Could also try parking the driver's side so that it's flexed upward if you can. Sometime it will help break it in a little quicker. But removing 1-2 of the middle leaves would probably work better.
I REJECT YOUR REALITY AND SUBSTITUTE MY OWN

Never let people think you’re a horrible person and always keep the heart of a young child…
       ...I prefer mine in a jar on my desk.

3 CAT scans a MRI and some time with the shrink and it's comfirmed. I'm just not right in the head.

Global Moderator for www.ToyotaOffRoad.com

axled89

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 296
  • Male Posts: 2,526
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2010, 09:01:33 PM »
 :yikes:    flex the crap out of it.   carefully till it is settled.
i love oregon wheelin.

axled89

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2010, 09:04:00 PM »
when my allpro 6" springs were new,  they were very tight and stiff.    lots of mad flexing had to be done to soften them up.
i love oregon wheelin.

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -64
  • Male Posts: 1,500
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 19, 2010, 09:36:19 PM »
The proper way to fix it is to move the shackle mount.
Dr.Maxwe001 – well i have a 15 gal compressor now and if I gett he 60  and then use the 15 as a reserve that wil give me 75 gal  thats close to 80 isnt it ?

axled89

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 19, 2010, 10:06:40 PM »
The proper way to fix it is to move the shackle mount.

X2!!
i love oregon wheelin.

dweinberg01 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2010, 09:13:53 AM »
Moving the shackle mount more toward the front of the truck right?  That way it will pull the top of the shackle forward and angle them right. Let me know if my thinking is right please.  BTW, I measured my shackles and they are 6.5" e2e. Is that too long?

-Jake-

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 20, 2010, 09:24:38 AM »
Moving the shackle mount more toward the front of the truck right?  That way it will pull the top of the shackle forward and angle them right. Let me know if my thinking is right please.  BTW, I measured my shackles and they are 6.5" e2e. Is that too long?

yes you'll move your shackle mount towards the front of the truck.  I'd let your springs settle before I'd move anything though.  You said the shackle angle was good with the TG springs right?  Maybe once your springs settle some your angle will be better assuming TG and Marlin springs have the same dimensions.
81 Hilux, E-Lockers, 5.29s, Duals, 30 spline Longfields, 8274 Warn, 40" Iroks, F150s and RUF

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 20, 2010, 10:21:33 AM »
You guys are getting confused about what he had on it, if it was at a negitive arch and you go to a 6 inch spring thats a huge difference in height. there is no way it will settle that much just move shackle mount now so you dont damage the spring while it "settles:"

When I first bought my truck, I had TG 5" springs on it. One of the  rear springs was negative arched and so I changed the rear springs to the Marlin 6" rears.  My problem is that now my drivers side shackle angle, the bottom is pointing more toward the front of the truck \ and my passenger shackle is straight up and down.  I don't want to fold my springs under. My original shackle angle was about 45* back with the TG springs.  I only have one short trial ride on the Marlins with no heavy flexing. I figure they haven't broken in yet, but still don't want to kill them by having the shackle go the wrong way.

Any way to fix this?

Dr.Maxwe001 – well i have a 15 gal compressor now and if I gett he 60  and then use the 15 as a reserve that wil give me 75 gal  thats close to 80 isnt it ?

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 20, 2010, 02:18:05 PM »
First thing I would do is to check the measurements on the spring and shackle mounts to make sure they are the same.
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

dweinberg01 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jan 20, 2010, 03:47:34 PM »
First thing I would do is to check the measurements on the spring and shackle mounts to make sure they are the same.

Explain please.Do you mean the distance from the front spring hanger to the rear hanger or from the center pin of the spring to the rear hanger or what. Thanks

dweinberg01 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jan 21, 2010, 09:23:11 AM »
You guys are getting confused about what he had on it, if it was at a negitive arch and you go to a 6 inch spring thats a huge difference in height. there is no way it will settle that much just move shackle mount now so you dont damage the spring while it "settles:"

I had th TG 6" lift springs on it originally with the negative arch, not the stockers.Would there still be a huge height difference between the Marlins and the TG's?

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jan 21, 2010, 09:44:43 PM »
Well usually when you say a 6 inch spring that means lift right, so a stock spring is close to flat. Now 6 inch lift spring would be arched so its pushes the truck up 6 inches.

-Jake-

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jan 21, 2010, 09:52:02 PM »
When you say negative arch you mean they looked like this right?

dweinberg01 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jan 22, 2010, 02:32:46 AM »
When you say negative arch you mean they looked like this right?

Yes. The passenger side looked like that.  The driver's side was still good.  It was the 6" lift kit from TG.  I never had the stock springs on  it.

dweinberg01 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jan 22, 2010, 07:49:24 AM »
:yikes:    flex the crap out of it.   carefully till it is settled.
The only other thing would to get shorter shackles of course if you have stock ones this won't work. Could also try parking the driver's side so that it's flexed upward if you can. Sometime it will help break it in a little quicker. But removing 1-2 of the middle leaves would probably work better.

Like this?

jonathan82toy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 502
  • Member since Mar '07
  • 1St Gens Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jan 22, 2010, 09:08:30 AM »
What Is The Truth Behind The Magic Turtle Breeding Program?

S.S. More Powerful Than Superman, Batman, Spiderman And The Incredible Hulk Put Together.

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jan 23, 2010, 06:44:56 AM »
Explain please.Do you mean the distance from the front spring hanger to the rear hanger or from the center pin of the spring to the rear hanger or what. Thanks
Not the springs, the hangers that are welded to the frame. Find a reference point on both sides of the frame that is the same. Use a tape measure and make sure the front and rear hanger are mounted in the same place on the frame rails.
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

DeadlyPeace

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 593
  • Member since Nov '07
  • HEAVILY medicated for your protection!
    • View Profile
    • ToyotaOffRoad
« Reply #19 on: Jan 23, 2010, 06:37:39 PM »

Like this?

Any amount helps, but the more you can flex it the more it will help break them in. But do it with the rear flexed up if that's the one you having the problem with.

As far as your old springs I'm guessing that the one that was sitting with a negative arch was just badly worn. Got any side view pics of it on flat surface before and after the spring swap? Also in your original post you mentioned that the TG springs were 5" lift then in another post said they're 6". Which are they? This might help clear up a few things for everyone so we can tell if you just need to let the springs break in or move the spring hangers. One more thing, what's the measurement from center hole to center hole on your shackles?
« Last Edit: Jan 23, 2010, 06:46:47 PM by DeadlyPeace »
I REJECT YOUR REALITY AND SUBSTITUTE MY OWN

Never let people think you’re a horrible person and always keep the heart of a young child…
       ...I prefer mine in a jar on my desk.

3 CAT scans a MRI and some time with the shrink and it's comfirmed. I'm just not right in the head.

Global Moderator for www.ToyotaOffRoad.com

dweinberg01 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jan 24, 2010, 09:03:12 AM »
Also in your original post you mentioned that the TG springs were 5" lift then in another post said they're 6". Which are they? This might help clear up a few things for everyone so we can tell if you just need to let the springs break in or move the spring hangers. One more thing, what's the measurement from center hole to center hole on your shackles?

Yeah, I got kinda screwed up on that sorry. They were the TG 5" springs, which gave 6in of lift. Not sure on the center hole measurement. I will get back to ya on that.

BTW. Thanks for all the help guys.