Author Topic: 03 tundra  (Read 3624 times)

NCK4L

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 522
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
03 tundra
« on: Jan 12, 2010, 10:13:41 PM »
was thinkin about pickin one of these up but i dont know much about them at all. The one im lookin at has about 220,000 on it and the guy wants 9000 for it. He says it has a v8 but i dont know what size they are or if they are a good reliable engine that i could get another 100,000 out of. Another thing about it is it has the trd package but it doesnt have a e locker so i was wondering what the trd package is? If anyone has any input on these trucks that would be  awesome.  thanks

Elton

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 18
  • Member since Dec '09
    • View Profile
Re: 03 tundra
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2010, 11:40:54 PM »
should be the 4.7L trd package is prob just some fancy upgraded shocks as for more info id check here http://www.tundrasolutions.com/

dyogim

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Member since Jun '03
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2010, 08:56:23 AM »
the V8 is the 4.7.  The tundras (any model/year) were not offered an e-Locker.  Only an LSD by eaton.  Even with that there was two different models.  One with a 200 in/lb and 400 in/lb, I believe, clutch pack.  There is aftermarket products from Richmond Gear, Detroit and ARB for these.  The rear end is pretty much the same as the Tacos of the same year.  Except wider.

The one thing you really have to worry about with that many miles, is the tranny.  Also, just like any other vehicle, the timing belt, etc.  The early 1Gen tundras had issues with the tranny at around 75K miles.  Check to see if it's been replaced and how many miles on the current tranny.  If it's on the original tranny, it's safe to say that the tranny is fine.  Another issue, is with bad header flanges.  One would hear a constant ticking coming from the headers.  In some cases, the ticking would dissapate as the engine got hotter.  The seam along the flange/header tube would crack and cause the ticking.  The increased heat expanded the metal and cause the ticking to go away.  it would come back when it cooled.

Otherwise, the truck has been great.  There's more on TS.com that you can read up on.  IMO - if everything on the truck has all the original parts, no major issues and all the routine maintenance has been met, I think the truck will last that 100K you are looking for.

I've got a 2000 tundra V8 SAC'ed.  I've gone through all of the above mentioned and then some.....

NCK4L [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 522
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2010, 05:37:53 PM »
the V8 is the 4.7.  The tundras (any model/year) were not offered an e-Locker.  Only an LSD by eaton.  Even with that there was two different models.  One with a 200 in/lb and 400 in/lb, I believe, clutch pack.  There is aftermarket products from Richmond Gear, Detroit and ARB for these.  The rear end is pretty much the same as the Tacos of the same year.  Except wider.

The one thing you really have to worry about with that many miles, is the tranny.  Also, just like any other vehicle, the timing belt, etc.  The early 1Gen tundras had issues with the tranny at around 75K miles.  Check to see if it's been replaced and how many miles on the current tranny.  If it's on the original tranny, it's safe to say that the tranny is fine.  Another issue, is with bad header flanges.  One would hear a constant ticking coming from the headers.  In some cases, the ticking would dissapate as the engine got hotter.  The seam along the flange/header tube would crack and cause the ticking.  The increased heat expanded the metal and cause the ticking to go away.  it would come back when it cooled.

Otherwise, the truck has been great.  There's more on TS.com that you can read up on.  IMO - if everything on the truck has all the original parts, no major issues and all the routine maintenance has been met, I think the truck will last that 100K you are looking for.

I've got a 2000 tundra V8 SAC'ed.  I've gone through all of the above mentioned and then some.....

sweet. can a regular tacoma e locker be installed in the rear end? would it be a weak link?

dyogim

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '03
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2010, 10:13:31 AM »
sweet. can a regular tacoma e locker be installed in the rear end? would it be a weak link?

Not without modification.  I've read a couple of othes modifying a non-TRD axle housing to install an e-locker.  In the end, same result, not worth it.  Options will be ARB, Detroit, TRD LSD, Richmond Gear, etc....

I have a detroit locker in mine with 4.88's.

potter85

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 257
  • Member since May '09
  • complete disregard for sheet metal.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2010, 10:30:04 AM »
i have an o2 and it has the toyota lsd and it sucks
3rz in the making

looking for 38s

2 tundra 4.7l v8 soon to be sas'ed

dyogim

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '03
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2010, 10:33:39 AM »
i have an o2 and it has the toyota lsd and it sucks

I agree.  IMO - the LSD is mainly for street traction and not for off road use.

toyofan7987

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 124
  • Member since Jan '07
  • yoter boy till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2010, 06:55:21 PM »
same here i have  tundra diff in my t100 and it seems to me to be no different then an open diff