Author Topic: 12" 14" 16" shocks- - - how are these measured ... total newb Q lol  (Read 2713 times)

bleakhorizon

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 803
  • Member since Jul '07
  • I'm not being rude. You're just insignificant.
    • View Profile
so yea i always hear about 12" shocks or 14" shocks to go with the hoops....  How are these actually measured, is it the amount of travel, shock body, eye to eye at compression lol....

mainly i ask because i have RUFs and using the same shocks that i had before (im thinking 12") they easily max out, but are perfect for compression.... so i read that everyone has been putting the 14"ers on there... So im assuming that you would add the hoops and that would put the shocks middle of the shock at the same point as a 12" but with the extra 2" of extension?   Any one run 16" shocks?

Glade there is a newbie tech section, because i feel  :screwy: bout asking something that i should just figure out lol  :smack:
Those are some huge welds!

Tillamook, OR

Scuba

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
Shocks are measured by length of travel.
Take a look at all the length's here and you'll get it..
http://www.allprooffroad.com/9504tacomarearsuspension/9504rearshocks/301

So im assuming that you would add the hoops and that would put the shocks middle of the shock at the same point as a 12" but with the extra 2" of extension?

Uhhh Wut?  :headscratch:

You already have shock hoops right ? If your current shocks do not have enough extension travel then buy some longer shocks. Just make sure to check to see if bumpstop extension will be necessary for proper compression

Some chant and meditate, I shift into 4Low.

Rockin a 99 Single Cab Taco, Locked lifted and armored sittin on 35" MTR Kevlars.

bleakhorizon [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 803
  • Member since Jul '07
  • I'm not being rude. You're just insignificant.
    • View Profile
lol figured i would confuse people... My problem is that if i get longer shocks the body is going to be longer and the shocks would bottom out, as the shocks i have now are perfect for compression..

I want the middle of the shock  (end of shock body) to be in the same place but have a longer travel shock.... the shocks i have in my garage that im looking at using (mainly because i have them and they are brand new) are measured compressed at 18.5" and 32" extended ... so according to that link these would be roughly 14's.....
Those are some huge welds!

Tillamook, OR

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 19177
  • Male Posts: 2,324
  • Member since Feb '04
  • The 1st 3RZ swap 99'-01'
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
Before you buy new ones it would be a good idea to take yours off your truck and measure them. I ran AllPro leaves in from for many years with 14" Bilsteins and I have to tell you, I never was able to use all 14". If I had to do that again I would have bought 12"s for both the front and rear.

As for you needing another 2"s of compression, Sounds like your shock hoops are to short. Measure the shock you have now then by one 2"s longer.
www.4WHEELUNDERGROUND.com
info@4wheelunderground.com
AKA The GODFATHER The 3RZ Original

Performance Tuned shocks for Leaf Sprung Vehicles   http://www.4wheelunderground.com/Tuning.html