Author Topic: 5" flexible upgrade install, leaf springs  (Read 31233 times)

hilux-1983

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 1,271
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
Re: 5" flexible upgrade install, leaf springs
« Reply #30 on: Jan 13, 2010, 09:52:23 PM »
I wanted to make gussets like a buddy of mine did on his 1st gen but, I didn't have the room like he did. Heres his link  http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=729547  and a pic:

This is what I came up with. I used 3 sections of 4 inch long 1.50 by 1/4 thick angle iron. 3 on the front as you can see and 2 on the rear as you can see. I figured the pushing and pulling force of the hangar has been taken care of by welding these on both sides. What do you guys think?

For those wondering, I'm using a Lincoln 125HD flux core mig welder. I've got it set to 3 on wire feed and D on the heat setting

DD, 22R, L52HD, 35"s, All pro/Marlin Hysteer, 529's, Aussie Locker in rear only. 5" All Pro springs and 5" shackles. Just purpose built and dependable. A/C blows like ice too... www.4x4HIM.org

hilux-1983 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Jan 13, 2010, 10:05:18 PM »
Looking good Hilux!  Nice write up to, for us first time cut/welders the pics will help allot!  I'm curious why you got rid of you stock front bumper and cherry valance (or whatever we call the sheet metal below the bumper)?  Does the front spring hanger require getting rid of that piece?
Nate

Hope this explains it.  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=62930.msg793042#msg793042 . I have plenty more pics that I didn't post. If you need any other angles so that you can see what it's supposed to look like. Let me know.
DD, 22R, L52HD, 35"s, All pro/Marlin Hysteer, 529's, Aussie Locker in rear only. 5" All Pro springs and 5" shackles. Just purpose built and dependable. A/C blows like ice too... www.4x4HIM.org

hilux-1983 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Jan 13, 2010, 10:19:05 PM »
Man!!!!! This thing rides like a dream. Oh yeah and it flexes pretty good too. I DD this thing to and fro about 80 to 100 miles a day. So the ride is just crazy nice. Allthough, a little body roll on turns feels funny but tolerable. The shocks are Rancho 5000's

hilux-1983 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Jan 14, 2010, 09:34:11 AM »
Now for the bad news.................  Because of the 2" lift from the springs, hangar and 5" shackles, also the forward movement of the axle the angle to the dangle for the front drive shaft is way off. I suspect I'm going to have to cut and reposition the spring perches and tweak the axle tubes a few degrees to keep this going in a straight line. I've also thought about instead of doing all of that work, trying a high angle drive shaft. I don't know that the high angle will do all that I need. It would be fine if I was at ride height 100% of the time. But, that's not what this build was about. I want to get every inch of flex and smooth ride possible. I also would like to do it the best way possible. I'm trying not to have any redneck rebuild, jerry riggin, pedro tech building here. The key word is "trying". Another thing, the shocks I have plenty of room for uptravel but only 2.5 inches of droop. I will be shortening my stock shock frame mount to fix that. Lots of folks automaticaly assume that we HAVE to install shock hoops and such. In my opinion, again, my opinion, they are not necessary. Nice to have but, not necessary. I only say that since I already have Rancho 5000 shocks that would accomidate a 6" lift. One good thing that came from this is, I don't have to move my steering box. In the pics you will notice that I installed high steer and a different steering gear box to accomodate this system. The gearbox was positioned in accordance with the old leaf springs. Now that the axle is moved 1.5" forward, you would think that the box has to be moved too. I was under the same kind of thinking. Just because I was eager to get this rolling and see where everything shifts and move when it's flexing, I took it out before I did all of that work in repositioning the box. To my surprise, the box does NOT have to be moved. The natural geometry and movement when flexing causes the axle to not only move up and down(during a strenuous flex) it also moves the axle rearward. Therefore, the axle "naturally" moves away from the box and has PLENTY of clearance. For those of you that will install this type of leaf spring or any other leaf spring. Word of caution: Position the box as far forward as possible in the first place. I was not looking forward to moving this box. It was a lot of work the 1st time.

87pickup

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 33
  • Male Posts: 719
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Jan 14, 2010, 09:54:29 AM »
would a high pinion third fix your driveline angles? little spendy but a lot less work then rotating the knuckles and perches. :twocents:

hilux-1983 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Jan 14, 2010, 10:04:05 AM »
would a high pinion third fix your driveline angles? little spendy but a lot less work then rotating the knuckles and perches. :twocents:

It would help but, these springs droop so much that I'm thinking that a high pinion wont be enough. I'm open for any and all suggestions. Thanks for taking an interest.

swapped89

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 270
  • Male Posts: 1,221
  • Member since Aug '09
  • Not all who wander...are lost
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Jan 14, 2010, 10:15:07 AM »
I had a similar problem with my 5" springs making my DL angle horrible. So i had a high angle DL made by clearancing an IFS CV for high angle and had that welded to a long slip style DL. I was able to drive about 15-20mph befor it got mad vibration. Then I went and got a high pinion third and I can go 30-40 mph befor i get any wierd vibration. I didnt see if you had dual t-cases or not but that would also help decrease how steep yer DL angle is. :twocents:
SAS 89 p/u 3.0 5speed, bobbed, locked, ready to play in the rocks. or wherever the pavement ends :)
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=61345.0 

a wise man listens and observes more so than he opens his mouth.. and when he does it is valuable information....   (twistedtoy92)

potter85

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 257
  • Member since May '09
  • complete disregard for sheet metal.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Jan 14, 2010, 10:36:06 AM »
i have five in all pro buggy leafs in the rear and i dont have any driveline vibration what so ever. but i did cut out the carrier bearing which sucks A@@ and had a custom one made for the rear. i had the cv cut off of the front shaft and put on the rear and i think that helped alot
3rz in the making

looking for 38s

2 tundra 4.7l v8 soon to be sas'ed

hilux-1983 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Jan 14, 2010, 10:41:07 AM »
The rear driveline is just fine. The front is the problemed one. I have a single t-case. I don't have plans to dual case it, I'm just gonna install 4.70's.

87pickup

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Jan 15, 2010, 09:34:43 AM »
I think a HP third and high angle d line would be enough, i  know there are quite a few guys here in az that run a single case with a hp third and dont have issues with it binding. I bet money you will want duals sooner or later.

hilux-1983 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Jan 15, 2010, 09:37:08 AM »
I think a HP third and high angle d line would be enough, i  know there are quite a few guys here in az that run a single case with a hp third and dont have issues with it binding. I bet money you will want duals sooner or later.

Dude, I'd like to see their rigs (in person) so that I can get a better picture of what I have to do. I'd rather learn from someone that's done it "right" that way I don't have to make a mistake and waste time and money.

87pickup

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Jan 15, 2010, 09:40:36 AM »
Get on the az chapter of the ttora board and post for who has done it. I know Joe Dirt on the ttora board ran a single 4.7 case and hp e locked front third with super flexy marlin springs and i never saw or heard any binding and he flogs his pretty good.

potter85

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 257
  • Member since May '09
  • complete disregard for sheet metal.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Jan 15, 2010, 09:42:11 AM »
did a driveline shop weld your driveline or someone else? you need to make sure it is welded by a shop and balanced that would be a good place to start
3rz in the making

looking for 38s

2 tundra 4.7l v8 soon to be sas'ed

hilux-1983 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Jan 15, 2010, 09:46:28 AM »
Get on the az chapter of the ttora board and post for who has done it. I know Joe Dirt on the ttora board ran a single 4.7 case and hp e locked front third with super flexy marlin springs and i never saw or heard any binding and he flogs his pretty good.

Thanks, I will

did a driveline shop weld your driveline or someone else? you need to make sure it is welded by a shop and balanced that would be a good place to start

I haven't done anything with the front driveline yet. The rear one I had made for me from Tom's Driveline http://www.4xshaft.com/index.html . I've had it for about 5yrs or so. How do ya like the U-joints?

swapped89

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 270
  • Male Posts: 1,221
  • Member since Aug '09
  • Not all who wander...are lost
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Jan 15, 2010, 11:39:41 AM »
HP third, single case w/4.7s, and a high angle DL on 5" springs. sorry for the bad pic quality

SAS 89 p/u 3.0 5speed, bobbed, locked, ready to play in the rocks. or wherever the pavement ends :)
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=61345.0 

a wise man listens and observes more so than he opens his mouth.. and when he does it is valuable information....   (twistedtoy92)

Nihal

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 134
  • Member since Mar '09
  • 89 Hilux 2.8-3L Diesel 4door,,,SOLID AXEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: Jan 18, 2010, 08:15:28 AM »
Hi Hilux,

Thanks for posting the front end pic's there nice and job is super :yesnod: nice build too :thumbs:

Hope you get that drive line sorted out :crossed:

regds
Nihal
« Last Edit: Jan 18, 2010, 08:24:28 AM by Nihal »
It's Not a Trick,,, It's a TOYOTA

hilux-1983 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Jan 19, 2010, 04:23:57 PM »
I just got off the phone with Josh over at TomWood's Driveshafts  http://www.4xshaft.com/index.html  . It's gonna cost me close to $500.00 for a front driveshaft to accomodate the angles from the t-case to the front pinion. He says that I WILL have a vibration anytime torque is applied. He will have to make a shaft with toyota u-joints at both ends(no cardan joint) and I will have to drill new holes in the flange on the t-case. The toyota u-joint can, the key term here is "can" accomodate close to 42degrees of angle before it binds. I'm at 29degrees at ride height. I need to take measurements with the rig at ride height, total compression and total droop before I can order. Oh, and also come up with the $$$. They're a bit pricey but, I trust them. I've had the rear "custom" drive shaft that they built for me for some years now. No complaints from me.  He can have it built and shipped out the next day plus, FREE shipping. I know, I know the FREE isn't free, they put shipping into the price to make it look like it's free. They're really nice folks over the phone. He answered every and all questions I had.
The other way I could go.... Take the 2 drive shafts that I have and make a square tubing shaft with the toyota u-joints. I think I'm gonna give that a try 1st. What do ya"ll think? http://www.ehow.com/how_4475628_build-square-driveshaft.html

lownlinked85

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 408
  • Member since Mar '08
  • Yeah Baby!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Jan 19, 2010, 05:18:44 PM »
hey how is the ride quality with those all pro springs in the rear?
Low locked and ready to rock

lownlinked85

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 408
  • Member since Mar '08
  • Yeah Baby!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Jan 19, 2010, 05:23:08 PM »
make a square drive shaft its cheap and you can alwas lengthen it to fit duals also i heard that if you go dual cases you d line angle is less because its further back not so far forward that your d line has to fall to hit the third member
Low locked and ready to rock

87pickup

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Jan 19, 2010, 06:46:52 PM »
Im qurious what your angle would be with a hp third? I would try a square d line with a cv. And i wouldnt use anything but genuine toyota u joints,cv's. U can also try high angle driveline in california. they did my front heavy wall driveshaft with long slip using my stock toyta yokes and joints for far less than $500. And i have already broken a rear output shaft but havent even popped a cap on a driveline yet. Only bad part to a square d line is it will vibrate far more than a round one.

axled89

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 296
  • Male Posts: 2,526
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Jan 19, 2010, 08:37:29 PM »
looks fine.
i love oregon wheelin.

hilux-1983 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Jan 19, 2010, 10:01:43 PM »
hey how is the ride quality with those all pro springs in the rear?

very nice! although, the front is softer than the rear now

81yotalove

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 310
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Jan 21, 2010, 07:56:14 PM »
your truck looks nice with the springs and flexs nice too. that sucks about your drivelines hope you get that figured out. looks like you have enough room that you could have wnet with a 4" spring. cause i've flexed mine all sorts of ways the other day to see and i think all i need to do is move my axle forward and i'll clear 35's definitely 33's no problem without moving the axle.

and if you remember my problem with my front being a little higher than the rear. after a lot of thinking about the options i think im just going to get some longer shackles and call it good for now. and the day i got the steering parts i did the jarm ball flip. waiting to install it when i rebuild my axle.

well good luck with the d lines i'll be watching to see how it turns out.i'll need to get one made when i move my axle for sure.
81 swb 22re 35's

prerunnerrunner

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 105
  • Member since Dec '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Jan 23, 2010, 06:56:03 PM »
I cant believe you guys are having so much trouble with your driveline. I have about a 5'' to 6'' lift on the front of my yota and I made a square tube shaft with two u-joints and is working great. I will post some pics tmrw.
87 RUNNER, SAS, 4.7's, RUF'S, 63'S, 35'' MTR'S, TRAIL READY BEADLOCKS, 4 WHITE ROCKETS, REAR MOUNTED OPTIMA, HP FRONT DIFF, WELDED FRONT AND DETROIT REAR, AND CUSTOM HIEMED STEERING. SOON TO HAVE 30 SPLINE LONGS, AND CROMO HUB GEARS.

84krawler

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 108
  • Male Posts: 177
  • Member since Jan '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: Jan 23, 2010, 09:27:10 PM »
That yota looks really good

hilux-1983 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Jan 24, 2010, 06:15:18 PM »
I cant believe you guys are having so much trouble with your driveline. I have about a 5'' to 6'' lift on the front of my yota and I made a square tube shaft with two u-joints and is working great. I will post some pics tmrw.

Please do Bro!

That yota looks really good

Thanks!

4x4yota

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 301
  • Male Posts: 1,256
  • Member since Oct '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Feb 13, 2010, 07:36:20 PM »
truck looks great!!!  :thumbs:
Current:
85 yota 4x4 http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=101931.new#new
Sold:
81 Yota 4x4 - http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=61025.0

Just remember that if the tires don't rub, then the tires ain't big enough -Runar

hilux-1983 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Feb 20, 2010, 12:06:17 AM »
truck looks great!!!  :thumbs:

Thanks a bunch.

hilux-1983 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Feb 20, 2010, 12:07:44 AM »
While I was at KOH this year I got to see a lot of single t-case set ups. I spoke with Dave from Dave'z offroad Performance. Him and a couple of his guys have single t-cases and 5" of lift(at least). So I got to see this in person. He runs 85 and newer stock standard ends with NO cv(cardan joint). From what I saw, the newer ends are a smidge longer than the 84 and older therefore, they can work flawlessly at more of an angle. I'm in the process of locating the parts I need to do this on my own. I'll be making a square shaft with the newer standard ends.

dntsdad

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
    • My 3.4 swap into a 92 pickup
« Reply #59 on: Feb 22, 2010, 09:28:43 PM »
I am getting ready to install some Ford rears and I have a question. First, I am just learning as will be quite obvious so keep that in mind. And I am not trying to hijack your thread!! Just trying to learn from your process.

My question looking at this picture.

I thought that the rear shackles should be at about 45 degrees slant rearwards. These seems almost verticle; maybe about 10-20 degrees. I always though that would be a problem. No?

What is the ideal shackle angle for an 80% street driven truck but still get good movement off-road with the 54" Ford springs?

Thanks
92 Toyota x-cab, 3.4 swapped, R150 5 speed, 2.8/4.7 SAS
My 3.4 swap http://www.yotatech.com/f160/had-officially-began-3-0-auto-3-4-manual-92-ex-cab-196823/