This is the official thread for the Making Of The Willy Mammoth. It all started back in September 2004 when I found this 1948 Willys Jeep on Ebay, Yess I said Jeep.
After Winning the bidding I was well on my way to the poor house. Got it running mostly stock and took it to WV for the ATV trail fest and had more fun with the Jeep than the four wheelers. Now that we are back home it was time to get started with the project. Thought long and hard about what axels to use and decided on Toyota because I knew they are strong and they are like a small 9". We are building high pinion 5.29 gears with air lockers and using 38" Super Swampers. Toyota springs and stearing, A Nissan SD22 Deisel engine connected to a early toyota 5 spd trans and transfer. 8" slip yolks on the drive shafts. So far I have managed to get it tore down to the frame and found the body is in very poor shape, in fact it sucks.
I ordered a new tub and it showed up today.
So here they are.http://www.mhdfl.com/Pages/Willy%20Project.htm
Will need to make a few repairs to get the pictures back.
I want to thank the Guys at Marlin Crawler for their quality service getting me the parts I need for this project. There will be more Toyota here then Jeep so I will continue dealing with Marlin and the gang for as long as they have the stuff I need.
I will update my web site with pictures as I progress through this project.
Thanks for watching