Author Topic: im looking for a good headlight upgrade for my 87 4runner  (Read 8817 times)

Travis H

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -356
  • Male Posts: 789
  • Member since Sep '08
  • 5100 ft
    • View Profile
im looking for a good headlight upgrade for my 87 4runner
« on: Nov 25, 2009, 06:58:04 PM »
I found these http://www.roundeyes.com/Toyota_Headlamps-Rectangular_Toyota_Conversion_Headlamps.html

I'm wondering how other ppl have liked these and/or is there something else out there i should look into.

thanks.

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
they are good, see if you can get some of the older glass ones, they might have soem in stock, if niot, the poly are good also
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

unclejpl4x4

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
:yupyup: roundeyes :eye:  Y :eye:
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 759
  • Male Posts: 13,855
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
For brighter lighting wire them direct from the alt., yeah the bulbs don't last as long but they will be super bright!
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
...and you won't have to pay all of your $ for the ones on that site.

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
aklso look into an upgraded wiring harness, such as the one sold by www.4crawler.com and others
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Cheesemaker

• Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
My sealed Sylvania Silverstars on my toy are brighter than my halogens on my van!!  And cheaper.

If you need to upgrade anything, upgrade to Roger Browns' headlight wiring kit.  Alot of good upgrade info here too!!
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/Headlights.shtml#OnLineOrdering
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 102
  • Male Posts: 2,470
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
For brighter lighting wire them direct from the alt., yeah the bulbs don't last as long but they will be super bright!
:dunno:
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
It is normally done on the highbeam or aux. lighting to increase brightness. much too bright to be legal but it does work. From the highbeam wire get a heavy duty relay like an old Ford starter solenoid then run a heavy gauge wire directly from the back of the alt. to the light an viola an intense light you won't believe from a standard halogen light. Like I said though you will lose longevity of the light by about 1/2. If you think about it that's exactly what they do to make the starter turn and start your car. Use all the typical safety precautions such as fusing it so you don't burn things up if you get a short.

unclejpl4x4

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

bigarms23

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 111
  • Male Posts: 2,896
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
the ones from roundeyes are great been running mine on my 4runner for 4yrs with no problems
88 4runner 92 cpi duals 37 radial rockers and 4.8 coming soon

88_Pathy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 65
  • Male Posts: 1,251
  • Member since Oct '06
  • Raised suspension
    • View Profile

Pat

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 786
  • Male Posts: 944
  • Member since Jun '02
  • Oroville, Ca
    • View Profile
I have run alot of lights..  But the Sylvania Silverstar ones are great.. They have like 3 or 4 levels..  the silver stars I think are the best one.. Make the road bright for a long time,  and as stated above they are a decent price
Sharing time between Northern Ca and Western Tn..

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1088
  • Male Posts: 9,756
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Hellas

I've heard these are a total waste of money and are little more than a standard light w/h4 bulbs, you're pretty much just paying for the name.  For a little more, the roundeyes seem to be a way better engineered light.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

88_Pathy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Oct '06
  • Raised suspension
    • View Profile
Mine are really bright with the bulbs that they came with. The lenses are glass and the reflector creates a crisp cutoff.  I love them, anything brighter would be too much for the city.

Travis H [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Sep '08
  • 5100 ft
    • View Profile
Pat, have you ever used the roundeyes? how do they compare to the silverstars?

Pat

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jun '02
  • Oroville, Ca
    • View Profile
Nope never used them..  But what I can say is I have a serious Light Fetish :hammerhead:  And was super happy with the output of the Sylvanias. My intentions were to use the sylvanias  till  I Could order something better..  Well since then I have put 3 more sets in different vehicles. In my 86 runner it was night and day different than stock(no pun intended)  I am sure you can buy something better and roundeyes could be something that are.. But for the price you can't go wrong..  You can get them just about anywhere.  Alot of time they don't don't have the brightest ones in stock.. Last ones I got I had to go to kragen to get one and Autozone to get the other

Pat

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jun '02
  • Oroville, Ca
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: Nov 30, 2009, 11:34:05 AM by Pat »

Travis H [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Sep '08
  • 5100 ft
    • View Profile
cool, i think im gonna get those since the price is so much better.

Plekto

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 27
  • Male Posts: 863
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
I just use the better sealed-beams since they are cheap.  Hela makes the best, but those aren't possibly street-legal(round off-road only type lights).  But yes, wiring directly is a big difference.  The lights don't last half as long - they last exactly the normal life span.  The "normal" headlights last longer because you are usually running them at 80-90% of their rated power, and it makes an enormous difference.  They last 2-3x longer but also put out 2/3 the light.

jonathan82toy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 502
  • Member since Mar '07
  • 1St Gens Rule!
    • View Profile
I have had RoundEyes for some time now. They are great!  :thumbs:  I also have had a few sets of Sylvania Silverstars and I thought they were great too  :biggthumpup: So, anything other than the stock $10 Light or Hellas....    :usa:
What Is The Truth Behind The Magic Turtle Breeding Program?

S.S. More Powerful Than Superman, Batman, Spiderman And The Incredible Hulk Put Together.

88_Pathy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Oct '06
  • Raised suspension
    • View Profile
Here is a cell phone shot of my Hellas.  It isn't really dark in front of the house but you get the difference.
Low 
High

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1088
  • Male Posts: 9,756
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Another thing to consider, the brighter and whiter the light, the more blinding it is to oncoming traffic.  Yellow light is easier on the eyes, plus it doesn't need to be as bright to achieve the same effect since it tricks your eyes into thinking it's brighter than it is.  I'd have yellow bulbs in my bike for that reason, but it takes h7 bulbs and I haven't found any affordable options for it.

That said, try finding a yellow headlight over the counter anywhere in the us.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Travis H [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Sep '08
  • 5100 ft
    • View Profile
ya if i was to get the roundeye ones i would get the yellow bulbs.

Plekto

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 27
  • Male Posts: 863
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
They did tests in France years ago and determined that yellow lights actually project farther than any other type.  The blue ones are the ones that trick your eyes as they appear to be brighter since they reflect off of things back at you and your eyes are more sensitive to the blue color.  But, as kneedownnate mentioned, finding yellow lenses/bulbs in the U.S.(note - not fog-light yellow, but a more sane whitish yellow) is nearly impossible.  I just go with good old fashioned sealed-beams and proper 10-12 gauge wiring.