Author Topic: Need advice/repair help on 89 Toyota Pickup-Shift Fork  (Read 3458 times)

GP2001

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
Need advice/repair help on 89 Toyota Pickup-Shift Fork
« on: Nov 13, 2009, 08:03:45 AM »
Hey guys, this is my first post here, got referred over here by a T4R.org member, seems like an awesome site! I found a 1989 Toyota Pickup, 5 spd, brand new tires on it, body average with a little rust, asking $675 obo. It needs a shift fork replaced. Anyone know how much this should cost me to do myself/what I need to do? A write up would be great/advice on whether or not to buy. I'm new to the toyota scene, currently looking to find a cheap older (pre 95) SUV/Pickup to use for a winter vehicle and a little off road fun. I love toyotas and I know they have an excellent reputation, its just hard to find one cheap so I am trying to find one that needs some work and just fix it myself. I almost picked up a 94 4Runner with 33"mudders on it, 140k miles for $700, just needed a TOB and some serious TLC, but he sold the rims and tires so I can't really buy it if it had no wheels on it. Would make transporting it back quite difficult :smack: Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks!

dirtchicken

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -44
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
They make these things called repair manuals. I'd start by picking one up. :thumbs:

Plekto

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 27
  • Male Posts: 863
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
DIY.  Yank the trans, replace the parts, plus the clutch.   Maybe $300-$400 tops in parts and no worries for 2-5 years.

In a way, I'd rather get a superb quality truck that works other than a bad cutch/trans and replace it with what I know is good rather than a truck that's in "good" condition.(often the trans problem depreciates the former to far less than the "good" truck.)

Also, the 94 almost certainly had the 3.0 V6 in it, which is a no-no - avoid.  Offer the guy $600 for the truck and spend another few hundred and some sweat on the fix.  Note - if you have the money, swap in a MC or similar new/rebuilt transmission now and not have to do it later)   I did this in fact with my 87 4Runner and it's still going strong. ($1500 4Runner for $600 with a dying trans - swapped and so on for $1100 and it's running great more than two years later.)

84pickup

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 335
  • Member since May '07
  • Barnwell Mountain (stock) Texas TrailRiders Jam 08
    • View Profile
i'm not sure how much a shift fork would cost, but i just recently tore my G52 tranny apart using my factory service manual and it was a breeze. took it apart, rebuilt it and put it back together in 3 or 4 days. they're really simple and as long as you follow the FSM word for word and remember where all the little balls and stuff go, you'll be okay. i think marlin my make some shift forks for the R-series of trannies.
lets not and say we did.

GP2001 [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
They make these things called repair manuals. I'd start by picking one up. :thumbs:
Ha ha, yes that would be a good choice. I would definitely do that if I got the truck, just trying to get some info before I bought it to see how much it would be worth. I'll have to track down a factory service manual for it, I'm not new to wrenching around cars so with that it shouldn't be too terrible for me (hopefully). I'll have to go check out the truck soon and see what type of condition it is in besides that.

In a way, I'd rather get a superb quality truck that works other than a bad cutch/trans and replace it with what I know is good rather than a truck that's in "good" condition.(often the trans problem depreciates the former to far less than the "good" truck.)
That's exactly what I am trying to do. I have been looking for labor intensive jobs that require low cost parts from people who don't do their own work. I don't mind putting in the blood and sweat ( and sometimes tears) necessary to get something running nice for a good price. Two years ago I got a 1997 Nissan Pathfinder for $100 from my friends Mom, needed a timing belt, water pump, and some other odds and ends. Only $200 in parts, but the mechanic wanted $1500 to do it and she just wanted it off her insurance. I fixed it, drove it for over a year, then traded it in for $1500. I do miss it dearly, but it had 6 codes thrown that were too expensive to deal with, one of the reasons I want OBD-1 so I don't need to worry as much. Now its time for another winter beater for the snow and some mild off road fun.

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
Also, the 94 almost certainly had the 3.0 V6 in it, which is a no-no - avoid. 
Why do you say that? I have been wheeling one for over 13 years without a problem I run it hard and by-pass is not a word I use. My rig has been SASed since 98 and the only work I have had to do on the engine was a water pump when I first boughtit in 97. My neighbor is the foreman and a Toyota dealership and when I asked him how hard it was to do he told me to take it to the dealership and they would replace the HG's and all I would have to pay for was the wp. So in your opinion please tell me why a 3.0 is a "no-no - avoid". Just a picture to show you the type of wheeling I do.
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity