Author Topic: e-locker retrofit!! *drill holes mistake free easy*  (Read 5042 times)

drayday55

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 299
  • Member since Feb '09
    • View Profile
e-locker retrofit!! *drill holes mistake free easy*
« on: Oct 30, 2009, 11:19:50 PM »
hey guys, i just got done modding the early minitruck rear axle to accept the 97 e-locker i got out of the junk yard.

i noticed that i did not need to weld (although i did) there was enough meat on the flange to drill properly and should have sealed fine but i just did it anyways to be sure.

anyways, i was thinking of how to drill the holes without a drill press and have them come out perfect every time.

out of all the how to's out there it seems as everyone says not to install the 3'rd and then use a drill to make your holes using the 3'rd as the drill guide. mostly because you need to use a smaller drill bit then what the hole is and most likely it will not be centred.

i went to marshals (industrial hardware store) and bought 3 x 6 inch drill bits  two to make pilot holes and one the correct size for the m8 1.25 tap, i ended up getting a 17/64Th's bit for the final pass.

i also picked up four nylon bushings the correct size for the corresponding pilot drill bits in order to keep the holes centered while using the 3'rd member as the drill guide.

the outer diammeter was the same thickness as the long studs needed for the e-locker, i believe it was a standard diammeter but the metric size is 8mm , i forget.
the inner diammiter must match your pilot drill bits, make sure they are a good fit!

i stacked 3 into the long holes by the actuator and it centred the hole perfectly, i then stepped up in size before i went full bore.

this was so easy and you do not need any fancy tools to do it.
there are tons of 4-runners in the junk yard thanks to cash 4 clunkers so- get to it !!

i also scored the 4wd locker computer and harness while i was at the yard.  this makes the install so easy and clean!

if you get the complete harness , you only need to reconnect 7 wires from the e- locker to the computer, ground 2 run one lead to 12v and the other to 12v switched power :thumbs:

pumkin toy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -4
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Do You Know A Sweeney Bro?
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
great idea!  lokks like it worked pretty good
97 4runner Limited
4runner Build Thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=54076.1410#lastPost

Started my own fab business recently check out the website  www.c4fabrication.com

also follow C4Fab on facebook for regular updates on projects. http://www.facebook.com/pages/C4-Fabrication/454285357953823

axled89

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 296
  • Male Posts: 2,526
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
sweet inovation.      :idea:
i love oregon wheelin.

Early

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 67
  • Male Posts: 470
  • Member since Oct '09
  • The Buddhas ridin shotie
    • View Profile
Nice write up, if you don't mind, whats a elocker goin for at the junk yards these days?
1994  4Runner w/ full doors

My hands are dirty cause i drive a yota

drayday55 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '09
    • View Profile
i got mine for 95 bux plus 15 dollar core i also paid 15 for the e locker computer + tax of course so 150 for all

hilux-1983

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 1,271
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
Excuse my ignorance from what I'm about to ask. I never thought about a computer to activate the e-locker. Sooo, when I go to the junk yard what do I need to pick up to make it all work and also, is there a general location of the computer? What does it look like? Any pics of all of this? What I mean by that is, is it always in the same spot? What vehicles should I look out for to find an e-locker, wireing and computer? I have an aussie locker in the rear of mine now. I'm getting tired of it's "habits" I'm entertaining the idea of swaping thirds and only haveing a locker up front or install an electric in the rear while I have it apart. I'm leaning toward e-lectric in the rear. Thanks for the help in advance, hope I didn't hi-jack too badly :smack:
DD, 22R, L52HD, 35"s, All pro/Marlin Hysteer, 529's, Aussie Locker in rear only. 5" All Pro springs and 5" shackles. Just purpose built and dependable. A/C blows like ice too... www.4x4HIM.org

Early

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 67
  • Male Posts: 470
  • Member since Oct '09
  • The Buddhas ridin shotie
    • View Profile
 :yikes: 150!?!?!?! i didn't know they were that inexpensive. Thanks for the info, i know where im going tomorrow.

I have similar questions to hilux.
1994  4Runner w/ full doors

My hands are dirty cause i drive a yota

joey0712

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,459
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
There not..... you got a smokin deal. If i was u ide buy everyone they had. They go for about 400 party to party. The junkyards want like 750 around here...
91 Toyota High pinions f&r.

drayday55 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '09
    • View Profile
yes they can be expensive, but if you can pull it yourself you will save.  ALL truck differentials at ecology here in san diego go for 95 bux  cars go for 65 regardless if they have the hot parts in them or not!  it is hit and miss though because
almost everyone and their mom knows about the toyota 3rd's  you just have to be dilegent and get there early
the only reason they are more expensive elsewhere is because of greed.
if i waited and hid it till sale day i could have gotten it for 50 bux!

and for those that dont know, the 4wd computer is the black one behind the driver kick pannel. dont worry about the green one just the black one, its 4 inches square, with one plug with about 9 wires out of it get the plug to and make sure you take the locker side harness as well.

inside is little more than 2 relays and some resistors, but it is a clean install

SocalWheeler71

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 269
  • Member since Nov '07
  • Trail rig is back up and running... yay trail rig!
    • View Profile
and for those that dont know, the 4wd computer is the black one behind the driver kick pannel. dont worry about the green one just the black one, its 4 inches square, with one plug with about 9 wires out of it get the plug to and make sure you take the locker side harness as well.
And if you are looking for just an elocker computer look at every 1996-up truck/4runner because sometimes the computer is there even if the truck does not have an elocker.

Another trick to help get the hole for the long stud right is to use a transfer punch to dimple the center of the hole while the third is in the housing. You can get a whole set of transfer punches at Harbor Freight for $10 and they are handy to have.

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
Good info. I was at the local P-N-P and could have picked up the complete rear end, housing. axles and brakes for less then two hundred dollars. It was in a 97 runner.

Here is how I make sure the threads are straight when I tap holes.

David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

drayday55 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '09
    • View Profile
that's a good idea as well, my taps were tricky to align!
thanks so cal wheeler for clarifying the years.
next time i go down to the junk yard i need to take a picture of all the 95 and up Toyota trucks and 4 runners
even alot of Lexus v8's and I'm sure they were running be for they poured the motor seize crap and killed em!

its such a shame that all these good vehicles were maliciously put to death!!  i even saw the murder weapon in one

it the liquid glass  it says drain oil fill with solution and run motor till it seizes!

it still blows me away to see all the 3.4l motors, only time and i will see one with a supercharger on it!