Author Topic: My 87 4runner- built for all terrain and all the pain!  (Read 17382 times)

SocalWheeler71

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 269
  • Member since Nov '07
  • Trail rig is back up and running... yay trail rig!
    • View Profile
My 87 4runner- built for all terrain and all the pain!
« on: Sep 17, 2009, 08:00:10 PM »
Some background- Way back in 1992 I got my first 4wd, an 88 Toy swb. I always regretted selling it. Then after my daughter was born in 05 I started looking for a better family vehicle, and started looking at getting back into wheelin, I had been out of it for about 7 years. I wound up getting a 2nd gen runner (4 doors). Well I started this build in November of 07. I already had plans to build up my 93 runner but after about six months wheeling it I got bit by the "lightweight bug" and decided that the 93 was way too heavy. I had already started collecting parts when I changed plans to a 1st gen runner.

I found this on cars.com, the guy was asking $1700 with a blown tranny, 193k on the clock, SR5 with a salvage title. I offered him $1200 and he took it. This is what it looked like the day I brought it home.
« Last Edit: Oct 22, 2009, 12:45:21 PM by SocalWheeler71 »

SocalWheeler71 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
The PO told me the 22RE had been rebuilt 40K ago. The motor ran super good, so I believe it. Seems like whoever did it did a really good job. I'm a mechanic by trade and I didn't want to have to mess with the engine so this was a big plus to me.

SocalWheeler71 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
Oh yeah so it's an auto, but that's what I wanted. Turns out the tranny wasn't blown, the t-case didn't have high range. I found this out after pushing it around for a few weeks, it goes just fine in low range! :hammerhead:
At this point I began researching the good ol' A340H. See my posts here on Pirate for more about it.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=587521

Cadman on the Marlin board hooked me up with a replacement since I wasn't quite ready to pony up for an IW adapter.

thegoofster21

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,644
  • Member since Mar '08
  • HIT IT HARD!!!
    • View Profile
it should be sweet
Any guy who takes his woman wheeling enjoys her. A woman who is owned is left at home to cook, clean, and keep beer cold. So if this offends you you should stop looking and go have some tacos.    :rofl2: And a beer. If your old enough.   :beerchug:   :beer:

04 Tacoma 33s http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=61454.0
jmoffroad.com

95toyrunner

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -124
  • Male Posts: 705
  • Member since Jun '07
  • Whaaaaaaaaaaa?!
    • View Profile
those are probably my favorite SR5 graphics.
1995 toyota 4runner, sr5, 5" sas, ome 863 coils, extended links, 37" MT/r's, 4.88's
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=51430.0 SOLD

1996 Toyota Tacoma ex-2wd, 2rz, 3link 14"FOAs, dual ultimate cases, chevy rear, 37" MT/r's, 4.88's
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=91724.0 SOLD

2001 Taco Dcab, king coilovers, 4.56 gears, detroit, 33's, SOLD

1999 Taco extracab, 3.4 5 speed, sas'd on one tons, 37" km2's, spooled front, detroit rear, bobbed, tirecarrier, hydro asist, high steer. SOLD

2005 4runner, sway-a-way coilovers, all pro rear 3.5 springs, 285 ko2's on method NVs SOLD

2016 4unner Trail, Icon stage 6, 285/75 Toyo's, full armor

88 4runner SAS, 37's, duals, etc

SocalWheeler71 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
So this is the outline for my build plans- Full body w/bobbed tail, 36" Iroks, mildly built 4cy with auto and dual ultimate cases. SAS, locked front and rear, street legal to drive to the trails and not be limited to where the tow rig is parked. Capable in Snow, sand, and on the rocks. I got the SAS done in July of 08.

95toyrunner

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '07
  • Whaaaaaaaaaaa?!
    • View Profile
which springs?
1995 toyota 4runner, sr5, 5" sas, ome 863 coils, extended links, 37" MT/r's, 4.88's

1996 Toyota Tacoma ex-2wd, 2rz, 3link 14"FOAs, dual ultimate cases, chevy rear, 37" MT/r's, 4.88's

1999 Taco extracab, 3.4 5 speed, sas'd on one tons, 37" km2's, spooled front, detroit rear, bobbed, tirecarrier, hydro asist, high steer. SOLD

2005 4runner, sway-a-way coilovers, all pro rear 3.5 springs, 285 ko2's on method NVs SOLD

SocalWheeler71 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
those are probably my favorite SR5 graphics.
Unfortunately they are long gone now. All except for the hood, no matter how much I color sanded and polished after I scraped off the graphics the 'shadow" is still there.

95toyrunner

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '07
  • Whaaaaaaaaaaa?!
    • View Profile
why did you get rid of them? it looked fine

SocalWheeler71 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
which springs?
Initially I had All Pro 4" springs on it, but they were way too stiff and also not long enough to get a decent shackle angle no matter how far forward I put the tube in the frame. The set I had were 46.5" eye to eye along the main leaf. I deceided that rather than start cutting the frame and mounts, I could solve most of the issues by switching to a RUF pack. I made my RUF's out of two sets Toyota rears. I think they are six leaves, cut evenly spaced. They are SUPER SOFT and flex like nobody's business, and the shackle angle is right where I want it at 45 degrees. Later on I found out that the 5" All Pro fronts are 47.5" -the same as RUF's.

SocalWheeler71 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
why did you get rid of them? it looked fine
They were peeling really bad on the drivers side. and you can see in the first pic the passenger side graphics were two different colors.

runner88

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -13
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
... I got the SAS done in July of 08.

So where's some current pics?  :thumbs:

:worthless:

95toyrunner

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '07
  • Whaaaaaaaaaaa?!
    • View Profile
So where's some current pics?  :thumbs:

seriously

SocalWheeler71 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
You guys are like sharks!

Wait for it...

Epic SAS pics!

SocalWheeler71 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
These are from July 08 the day I got the SAS done on 35" MTR's. Oh yeah I put a grill from an 85 on it because all the chrome on the 87 grill flaked off, and I got a good deal from Earl Kann, thanks bud.

SocalWheeler71 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
Took it out to Rasor OHV area (near Baker, CA) for Halloween 08 and got it stuck pretty good (for the sand anyways). Both of my buddies were on quads, so we got to dig it out by hand, thank god I always carry a shovel.

95toyrunner

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '07
  • Whaaaaaaaaaaa?!
    • View Profile
looks pretty low, nice.

SocalWheeler71 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
The sand stuck happened mostly because I didn't have the front e-locker wired up. At that point I was paranoid about the stock birfs so I thought leaving it open would be safer. Taking the wrong line may have also played a very tiny, insignificant role, but who wants to admit that? Blame it on the set up!

SocalWheeler71 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
looks pretty low, nice.
Thanks! Staying low has been a priority of my build, but there has been some snags along the way because of it. When I went to the RUFs it lowered it more than an inch, so now there's no uptravel, so then I had to redo the shock towers, now I'm going from 12" travel 5125's to 14" 5150's and I'll need to redo them again and do something different with my front hanger. More to come on that.
« Last Edit: Sep 17, 2009, 10:05:09 PM by SocalWheeler71 »

SocalWheeler71 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
Little flex pic from Johnson Valley after I put the RUF's on. Something I was stoked about also this day was that it went up Cajon Pass on the 15 at no less than 65mph! That's pretty good for a 22RE auto on 35's (it has 5.29's).

SocalWheeler71 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
Notice in the above pic that I got rid of the wing windows, swapped to full glass windows and moved the mirrors forward. This made a huge difference in visibility when you lean out to look at where you're placing the tires. I highly recommend it!

kmzeidler

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Aug '09
    • View Profile
Notice in the above pic that I got rid of the wing windows, swapped to full glass windows and moved the mirrors forward. This made a huge difference in visibility when you lean out to look at where you're placing the tires. I highly recommend it!

Im new to this and im going to search but info on how to do this. This 4runner is super clean.

SocalWheeler71 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
I swapped out all the glass, window motors, door panels, and moved the mirrors; rather than swapping the whole doors. That is the hard way to do it for sure, swap out the whole doors if you can! I did it that way because I scored a great deal on doors from a rollover that were crushed but all the internals were good. And my doors are full power so they were tough to find. I see a lot of full glass manual doors at the junkyard on 2wds (very plentiful).

SocalWheeler71 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
Right now it is setup with 35" MTR's, V6 Lockrite in the rear, and a high pinion e-locker in the front. I only use the front locker when I need it. Do those of you with selectable front lockers and twin sticks feel that it is worth it? I am building a dual case setup to go behind the auto and am thinking about a twin stick setup after hearing some friends rave about them, but I'm not sure it will make that big of a difference since I don't have an automatic front locker. Are there any other benefits to a twin stick other than that?

SocalWheeler71 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
I need to  install an antiwrap bar in the rear. Some rock ledge fail at Azusa canyon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdu-mR7onF8&feature=player_embedded#t=250

That was before I wired up the e-locker and before the RUF's. I haven't been back since so I don't know if those two things would make enough of a difference.  Azusa is fun to go about once a year just to see the carnage.
« Last Edit: Sep 18, 2009, 09:39:02 AM by SocalWheeler71 »

SocalWheeler71 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
Got some good snow this past winter

iNfErNaL

• El Presidente
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 109
  • Male Posts: 7,509
  • Member since Aug '04
    • View Profile
Very nice  :thumbs:  . Where abouts in SoCal are you ?
WWW.GLOBALOFFROADSUPPLY.COM

Support Your Local Brawlers
 www.RockBrawlers.com 

www.offroadtruckshow.com

SocalWheeler71 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
Rancho Cucamonga. It's a small world Peps, I was talking to a longtime friend the other day, Kevin with the black ZJ, when he found out I've got a Toy he's all hey do you know Pepe at All Pro?. Then he showed me an old picture from back in the day of all our trucks lined up at Azusa Canyon. I had a white SWB Chevy at the time. It was me, Kevin, Nestor, Ernie a couple others, and you.
« Last Edit: Sep 19, 2009, 07:40:04 AM by SocalWheeler71 »

iNfErNaL

• El Presidente
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 109
  • Male Posts: 7,509
  • Member since Aug '04
    • View Profile
Rancho Cucamonga. It's a small world Peps, I was talking to a longtime friend the other day, Kevin with the black ZJ, when he found out I've got a Toy he's all hey do you know Pepe at All Pro?. Then he showed me an old picture from back in the day of all our trucks lined up at Azusa Canyon. I had a white SWB Chevy at the time. It was me, Kevin, Nestor, Ernie a couple others, and you.

No freakin way ! , what's your name ? , Of course I know you , I just can't remember the pics . I just ran accross some pics from back then at Deep Creek with Ernie and Nestor and them . Man , we're talking 14 maybe 15 years back ! ! , that's awesome ! ! ! .
WWW.GLOBALOFFROADSUPPLY.COM

Support Your Local Brawlers
 www.RockBrawlers.com 

www.offroadtruckshow.com

SocalWheeler71 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
Yup I'd say it was from about 94-95. My name is Eric. Which Deep Creek, the one up in Big Bear or the party spot by the dam in Hesperia? I used to go to the spot by the dam but I don't ever remember going with that crew. I'm sure we'll hang out again pretty soon. Kevin wants to hit JV soon but we've got to fix a broken link on the ZJ, and I really need to redo some stuff on my front suspension.