Author Topic: 4runner soft top?  (Read 21458 times)

NoPower

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 80
  • Member since Mar '07
  • Wish the 87 had V8 power...
    • View Profile
4runner soft top?
« on: Sep 07, 2009, 08:44:45 PM »
Can anybody point me to a company that makes a soft top for the 4runner? I have an 87 runner and I want to ditch the removable hard top and go with a soft top :thumbs:

nor-cal yota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 216
  • Member since May '09
    • View Profile

NoPower [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 80
  • Member since Mar '07
  • Wish the 87 had V8 power...
    • View Profile
Re: 4runner soft top?
« Reply #2 on: Sep 07, 2009, 09:02:23 PM »
Thank you. Has anybody used one of thier products? Good or bad? I did a search for sof tops on here but nothing came up.

brockbuilt85

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 362
  • Male Posts: 1,715
  • Member since Oct '08
  • I do all my own stunts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 07, 2009, 09:36:26 PM »
i want one, but cant see spending the money
When in doubt, skinny pedal!
Turd Box Build:
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=50894.0

hilux-1983

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 1,271
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 07, 2009, 10:23:03 PM »
Just make one. It seems that you have the skills. Take a look at mine. I know it's not a runner but same idea. http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=58729.0;highlight=wagon
DD, 22R, L52HD, 35"s, All pro/Marlin Hysteer, 529's, Aussie Locker in rear only. 5" All Pro springs and 5" shackles. Just purpose built and dependable. A/C blows like ice too... www.4x4HIM.org

poolfixr

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 29, 2009, 10:25:27 PM »
I got the Softopper for 88runner and that thing is awesome. The amount of weight off the rear. The top dosent flap on the freeway & you can roll the side windows nice and snug and drive on freeway. You do lose  some security but for the price (somewhere around $670 delivered) and the benefits off road it is well worth it. Just my .02

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 19177
  • Male Posts: 2,324
  • Member since Feb '04
  • The 1st 3RZ swap 99'-01'
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
« Reply #6 on: Nov 30, 2009, 07:46:05 AM »
 :king:

www.can-back.com and you can buy them at www.truckcandy.com

these are the very best softtops available.

take a look.

www.4WHEELUNDERGROUND.com
info@4wheelunderground.com
AKA The GODFATHER The 3RZ Original

Performance Tuned shocks for Leaf Sprung Vehicles   http://www.4wheelunderground.com/Tuning.html

crawlerdan

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1319
  • Male Posts: 4,770
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Nov 30, 2009, 07:48:05 AM »
completely unrelated- but tacorunner- ii would love to see locking hubs on your rear axle....dunno why, would be badass

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Feb '04
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
« Reply #8 on: Nov 30, 2009, 03:52:22 PM »
completely unrelated- but tacorunner- ii would love to see locking hubs on your rear axle....dunno why, would be badass

I'll bet you would, just so you could unlock them at the CON. I know your tricks! Stay back I say!

Performance Tuned shocks for Leaf Sprung Vehicles   http://www.4wheelunderground.com/Tuning.html

crawlerdan

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1319
  • Male Posts: 4,770
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Nov 30, 2009, 03:53:50 PM »
I'll bet you would, just so you could unlock them at the CON. I know your tricks! Stay back I say!
hahahaha- yea!! i had hubs on a hybrid 12 bolt and my buddys would unlock them, and put all 3 cases in nuetral :cheese:

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Feb '04
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
« Reply #10 on: Nov 30, 2009, 03:58:23 PM »
thats great. and that ladies and gentlemen is why I dont have locking hubs ing the back.   :moon: :hammerhead:

hilux-1983

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 1,271
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
DD, 22R, L52HD, 35"s, All pro/Marlin Hysteer, 529's, Aussie Locker in rear only. 5" All Pro springs and 5" shackles. Just purpose built and dependable. A/C blows like ice too... www.4x4HIM.org

exotoy535

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Nov 30, 2009, 06:52:05 PM »
A guy has one out here from killer toy tops. They make nice tops that  zip and velcrow . I talked to them about making a top for my bobbed runner and they said they will make anything. www.killertoytops.com

HDcruiser

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 10
  • Male Posts: 580
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Nov 30, 2009, 07:10:53 PM »
:king:

www.can-back.com and you can buy them at www.truckcandy.com

these are the very best softtops available.

take a look.

I not trying to put Truck Candy down but i had a horrible experience from them. I have one of the original Can Backs from Azusa, CA. on my 85runner. I bought a canback from truck candy for my brothers 85 runner after they bought out the business from California about a year ago and i could have stitched a better top with my eyes closed. Thruck Candy took a perfectly good design and changed it in the rear with a retarted bar that goes above the tail gate causing the rear window to flutter while driving. After threating truck candy about going to court, they sent me a replacement top. The replacement top wasn't any better that the first one. I just cut my loses and moved on. The issue i was having was the snaps wouldn't line up, some tore out of the fabric, and it fit extremely lose. I will try to post a couple of pic's

HDcruiser

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Nov 30, 2009, 07:20:10 PM »
I tried to post pic's but the files are to big and i dont know how to re size them. I you are interested send me a PM with your email and i will send them to you.
Sean

dezrik

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 192
  • Member since Jul '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Nov 30, 2009, 08:09:03 PM »
canback tops are very well built and they look tough :D

HDcruiser

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Nov 30, 2009, 08:24:02 PM »
Very true... But when your paying over a 1000.00, you would expect a higher quality top and less imperfections. Just looking at tacorunner's picture, (passenger side B pillar) i can see one of the issues i had with truck candy revised version of the Can Back top. I will try to figure out how to resize my pics and try to post tomorrow. There is a huge difference in quality between the oringinal version and Truck candys.  :smack:

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Feb '04
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
« Reply #17 on: Nov 30, 2009, 09:15:57 PM »
 :lipsrsealed:   I never told you this but...

I got a Prototype version of their top. Other than the bar across the back I have no problems with it.   I know they had a few people complain about the the top snapping to the Tail Gate so they changed the original design. But I dont think they asked very many people what they thought. I mean they took just a few complaints about the rear and changed the design rather than taking a poll.

I do not like the Bar across the back and I told them that before it went to production. IF YOU DONT LIKE IT EITHER. Call them up and ask for new snaps for the side not the rear, when you get them pop new holes in both the tail gate and the canvas back. And you'll be golden.

Some snaps were tight, but nothing I wouldn't expect from anything else. I did put some Gorilla Tape (a close relative to Mr. Duck) over some of the metal components that rubbed the top. Other than that I've been golden.

HDcruiser

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Dec 02, 2009, 01:26:25 PM »
:lipsrsealed:   I never told you this but...

I got a Prototype version of their top. Other than the bar across the back I have no problems with it.   I know they had a few people complain about the the top snapping to the Tail Gate so they changed the original design. But I dont think they asked very many people what they thought. I mean they took just a few complaints about the rear and changed the design rather than taking a poll.

I do not like the Bar across the back and I told them that before it went to production. IF YOU DONT LIKE IT EITHER. Call them up and ask for new snaps for the side not the rear, when you get them pop new holes in both the tail gate and the canvas back. And you'll be golden.

Some snaps were tight, but nothing I wouldn't expect from anything else. I did put some Gorilla Tape (a close relative to Mr. Duck) over some of the metal components that rubbed the top. Other than that I've been golden.
That's good to know TacoRunner, i will call my brother and let him know about the info you posted. I love the Can Back tops, but with the experience i had with Truck Candy, i would hate to see someone on this forum go through what i had to go through. Especially if they had to save up money for a couple of months just to buy it.  Later Bro..

87pickup

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 33
  • Male Posts: 719
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Dec 03, 2009, 07:28:08 AM »
Can back is spendy but i think its worth it. Tig welded stainless frame, easy installation, durable fabric. Plus truck candy is right down the street for me so i got it same day.