Author Topic: Attn: Big Mike  (Read 1712 times)

RogueDogg

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -24
  • Male Posts: 124
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
Attn: Big Mike
« on: May 08, 2002, 12:57:38 PM »
I notice the credit at the end of the index page that the website is designed by you, just wondering is this just your hobby or is this your full time job? PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't get me wrong here, the site is rocking and I'm not intending anything other than that I was just wondering, and if it was just a hobby have ya'll be in the market for a webmaster? Just wondering....incase you wanted to respond..   8)

Brian "ROGUEDOGG" Ford
« Last Edit: Dec 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1056988800 »

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2205
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
Re: Attn: Big Mike
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2002, 05:38:46 PM »
just wondering is this just your hobby or is this your full time job?

Well, it is kinda both. Whenever I work on the webpage, I am on the clock and getting paid as if I were in the shop building crawlers. However, I only work on the webpage maybe 0-10 hours a month?? Furthermore, I am a full time college student and I only get to work 10-15 hours a week at the shop (half of 2 days a week; Tues. & Thurs.).

Now the last two weeks in a row, Marlin requested that I spend my time working on the webpage since we have some new things that you guys don't even know about. So I need to get them up, and I usually find other things to do that need to be added or modified first, so usually it takes me a couple of days to actually get something that Marlin wants up.

Now, this will all change in two weeks because my finals are then, and after that I'll be working full time until the fall. So, I will once again, finally, add some weight to my wallet, and finally be able to work 40+ hour weeks. :drool:

So, :) I will also once again be able to update the page in one single day because I will have a full day to do it. Also, many of the articles and write ups are about 3-5 years old and were actually done by Chris Geiger (now working for All Pro Offroad) when he used to be our webmaster. Now that was wwaayyy back in the day. Those articles all need to be updated. They are way to long and Geiger is definitely not a virtuoso article writer, so I have always wanted to rewrite all of the information on the dualcase page and the 470 page, I just haven't gotten around to it. I have since made 2 different reversions of the page since becoming webmaster. Usually I get an idea, implement it, but then my time ends because I head back to college and the process is then very slow. But I was able to put up a very decent page, if I may say, and have been able to narrow my concentration to single sections of the page.
That's why some areas are complete, and others are not completed as of yet. But I am getting ready to make a serious overhaul from ideas that I have thought up while in the 'off-season' (working only 15 hrs/week) and will do some new work and clean up the site a bit during my break.

So to answer your question, yes, this is my hobby. I enjoy scripting and writing html as I do this all 100% free hand under Notepad and from memory. But if you are looking, as others have to become our webmaster, we at this time we don't really need any future services. I am not offended by you or others offers of webmastering, but the thing is that we have so many orders coming (and standing) that we are happy. We are not looking for Toyota 4WD World Domination, like some other companies are, but rather we are just happy to be here in business and happy to provide some darn good products for those who are interested.

So is the site old? Maybe. No flash or complex interactive scripting.
But I know that the site provides the information that we would rather
not spend telling each and every caller about. The site does the job that we intended it to: Prepare customers to make there order. It would be nice to be more in depth and offer internet ordering of parts, but when you consider the line of business that we do, it is merely impossible. Yes, selling low profile drain plugs would be a go, but not selling crawlers. Marlin doesn't want ordering from a mouse. He wants us to build a personal relationship with the customer, and this is what has kept us in business through all of the rough waters.

Regards,
BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2205
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2002, 05:39:47 PM »
:)
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

RogueDogg [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -24
  • Male Posts: 124
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2002, 04:24:45 AM »
:) couldn't have said it better myself. It's not about how it looks it's all about functionality. That applies to just about everything ( including my truck  ;D ) Right on and hey I must say... when I heard about marlin crawlers I was like yeah just another 4x4 shop to add to the list. Now that I've spoken with Marlin, and Ron and a couple of others, ya'll are not just another 4x4 shop on the list, ya'll are the list. I've found everyone there goes above and beyond the call of duty to satisfy the customer and that is what I call a real buisness. Hey but you don't need me telling ya'll that....you know. Keep up the GREAT work and I can't wait for my parts to get here in a few days...

Brian "ROGUEDOGG" Ford

Ron

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2002, 04:44:09 AM »
Thanx RougeDogg for the pat on the back and encouragement.  We love it when are customers are nothing less than 100% Happy ;D  Although we make errors sometimes because we are human;  we do strive for perfection for the benefit of our customers; who are more than just customers...but friends.  We want The name MARLIN CRAWLER to by synonomous with words such as honesty, integrity, and quality.  You know, I really have to give credit to the guys in the shop: Dan, Rocky, BigMike, and John.  Those guys bust there butts each and everyday.  They also have alot of patience cause I'm not the greatest guy in the world to work with all the time...yet they tolerate and encourage me in spite of my lack of knowledge in the mechanical end of things.  These guys are truly top notch, quality driven individules whom I'm proud to work with.  As for Marlin himself??? I've never met a business owner like him.  All I can say is that the heart of this man has made him rich in character and in friends.  He may not be extremely "successeful" as a busisnessman (yet) but in my book he has got to be one of those most successful people I know on a character level.

RougeDogg yours and our other customers happieness is our fullfillment and our success at MARLIN CRAWLER.

Take Care

Ron 8)
« Last Edit: Dec 31, 1969, 04:00:05 PM by -1 »
Put other people needs before your own and you will be a wealthy individual