Author Topic: Help me with my brakes please  (Read 1710 times)

jeff94runner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 138
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
Help me with my brakes please
« on: Jul 27, 2009, 06:05:59 PM »
94 Toyota Runner 3.0 5spd.

I've had some brake issues for a while now. among other issues my brake pedal was slowly going to the floor. So i replaced the master cylinder and i could not get the front brakes to bleed.  I open the bleeder valve and nothing comes out.The back ones bled fine.  So I searched for leaks and could not find one.  I bled the master cylinder before doing the wheels.  The front port was not putting out as much fluid as the back port. And I felt like the back port had a weak stream as it was.  I made sure the front lines were not plugged.

So I thought I had a bad part.  So I went and got a differant one from o'reillys.  The same thing has happened.

each time I bled them we pumped the brakes before bleeding. I bled the wheels in a sequence of longest to shortest lines.  I bled the original master cylinder before I took it off. It did not act the way these aftermarket ones have.  Have I made a mistake buying aftermarket?  I just don't know what else it could be other than another bad master cylinder.

I noticed a set screw in the middle of the master cylinder.  Could this be positioned wrong? if so how do you rest it?

Jeff
"Keeping the heavy light the heavy can be handled"

Steve_925

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -86
  • Male Posts: 1,876
  • Member since Feb '07
  • F***in catalina wine mixer
    • View Profile
Re: Help me with my brakes please
« Reply #1 on: Jul 27, 2009, 06:29:30 PM »
dont take this the wrong way but are you sure your bleeding them the correct way. pump the pedal slowly about 3 times and hold it on the 3rd. then crack the bleeder with pressure still on the pedal. im sure you know how but just in case
1973 HILUX build up-------> http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=48133.new#new

UA 342
STEAMFITTERS

jeff94runner [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 27, 2009, 07:00:09 PM »
i didn't take it the wrong way and yeah i knew that. thanks

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 29, 2009, 04:29:08 PM »
You might try picking up either a cheap vacuum/brake bleeding kit, or a 1 man brake bleeder kit, where you draw the fluid to the brake cylinders rather than pump/hold/release etc.  This way you are able to purge the system of air, as well as remove the old brake fluid.

You might want to return the current MC and start w/a fresh one, it isn't all that unusual to get two bad parts in a row from the after market dealers.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

jeff94runner [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 30, 2009, 08:03:33 AM »
Thanks for your help.

*ROKTOY*

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,066
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 30, 2009, 08:17:58 AM »
Did you remove the bleed valves from the calipers an make sure they are not plugged up?

Jan84HJ60

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jul '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 30, 2009, 09:16:17 AM »
after market masters are often of much lesser quality than the good old oem.
However, if the master is bled well itself, your problem does not sound master related.
yes, check the valves for being plugged. the other possibility is that the brake lines are rusted shut.
j

hilux-1983

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 1,271
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 30, 2009, 01:06:37 PM »
I havent seen anyone ask if the caliper bleeder screw is on top and not the bottom. When putting the calipers back on sometimes  I've had people bring me their cars after "doing the brakes" and they installed the calipers left on the right side and right side on the left side, hence-the bleeder screw is now at the bottom. Another thing too, the porporting valve may have "scooted over" a little. An old timer tech once showed me this trick. Make sure the front bleeders are closed, then open one or both of the rear bleeders, stomp the brake pedal quickly, close the bleeders and then try and bleed the front normally again. What that does is center the valve again. My  :twocents:
DD, 22R, L52HD, 35"s, All pro/Marlin Hysteer, 529's, Aussie Locker in rear only. 5" All Pro springs and 5" shackles. Just purpose built and dependable. A/C blows like ice too... www.4x4HIM.org

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -64
  • Male Posts: 1,500
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 30, 2009, 06:48:24 PM »
sometimes you need to bench bleed it first
Dr.Maxwe001 – well i have a 15 gal compressor now and if I gett he 60  and then use the 15 as a reserve that wil give me 75 gal  thats close to 80 isnt it ?

jeff94runner [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Aug 04, 2009, 07:34:16 PM »
Well guys, thanks for all the input. I ended up getting 3 bad A-1 Cardone master cylinders.  I finally I bought the the Toyota one for $ 280. :reg:
I knew as soon as I priced the Toyota one that the A-1 Cardone was  :pokinit: Thanks again

Jeff

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Aug 04, 2009, 08:54:19 PM »
$280  :yikes:  Did it come with astroglide?!
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!