Author Topic: 4wheelin in Snow post your tips and tricks  (Read 9132 times)

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 190
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Hi Ho Marlin....u talkin to me
    • View Profile
Re: 4wheelin in Snow post your tips and tricks
« Reply #30 on: Oct 28, 2004, 02:50:41 PM »
Ahhhh, old yeller. I do miss that truck. :sad2: I hope the new pig does as good in the snow as that one did. :crossed:
I just went up deer hunting today, wow, way more snow already than I thought there would be. A couple more good storms and it'll be time to head up and play.

shawnb

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 140
  • Male Posts: 135
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Haven't seen snow like this here this year :(
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Oct 29, 2004, 06:08:22 PM »
Mike
The best snow tire are 38inch gumbo mudders. I ran 35inch bfg untill I had the money for the 38 and the differance is amasing. 2-4 psi 12 inch rims you can go anywhere, even when the snow is like sugar.
As for the locker put it in the rear and wield up the front. On a side hill you can unlock one front hub to prevent you from crabbing so much. I've seen guy crab for a hundred yard on a steep side hill with 38's it's amazing. Snow is so different form the rocks.
Here in washington if you have a foot and 1/2 of snow the forest service says you don't have to stay on the trails. The snow is deep enough that your not doing damage. Just watch out for the snowmobilers.

http://www.ravenoff-road.com/php/viewtopic.php?t=758

leorn

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -16
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Oct 29, 2004, 08:00:15 PM »
Ok here's one that experience taught me.  snowmobile trails are a lot of fun in a canyon cuz you stay on top, but when you reach the summit and the track widens you sink :hammerhead:  I thought i was going to have to get my truck in the spring.  I was amazed that myself and 7 other guys were able to use a lot of tree branches to get my old truck out.  remember trees are your friend :thumbs: btw snowmobiles can't pull you out cuz of the type of clutch they have.  so don't get a false sense of security.  I've personally deemed snow and water not for trucks, but for boats and skis.  but then moab is not too big of a drive for me!  It's not worth the electrical headaches and getting stuck unpredictably. 

I want to clarify one thing.  In the snow lockers should only be used on trails,  if you daily drive in a snowy area please get a selectable locker if possible.   Open diffs offer the best traction, and you will want 4x4.  locked diffs will put you off the road on snowy paved roads, and especially ice! :ack: 

having said that be ready to spend the night and have fun.  Snow is a good time as long as you don't push limits like i always do :sly:
Bring on EJS

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Oct 31, 2004, 09:00:25 PM »
I went to the snow today.  I have a detriot i nthe rear and open in front.  I ran it on only rear wheel drive in the snow/ice and the back end kept sliding out.  It was a lot of fun but can be dangerous if you go too fast.  I was only going about 10-15mph and it was sliding out going uphill.  It was more stable wheb i had it in 4-wheel drive. The back end didn't want to come out at all.

cruzila

• Go go cruzila!
  • Hawk
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 41
  • Male Posts: 3,848
  • Member since May '02
  • MC20/21 Toybox #002 2.28 = 154:1
    • View Profile
    • MTA
« Reply #34 on: Nov 03, 2004, 10:55:54 AM »
Mike
The best snow tire are 38inch gumbo mudders.

Yup
If you would like to help save the Rubicon, send money to the Rubicon Trail Foundation

Friends of Eldorado National Forest

V-Man

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 29
  • Male Posts: 792
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Nov 03, 2004, 03:46:58 PM »
 :date:  Well Guys,  I have lived in the great white north all my life. The BEST tip I can give you "guys" for wheeling the snow is to get together with some friends, the girlfriend and go wheel just be for a heavy snow. The idea is to get out in the back wood to have a day at the cabin enjoying the winter wonderland so to speak. When it gets time to leave go down the road a ways , or time  your arrive at the cabin just as the snow is starting to come down heavy. Have a trail side pow wow with your budds and decide that it's not safe to try to get back to town right now. Then go to the cabin, and find some thing to do for the day, till its getting dark, and the decide it to dangerous to leave in the dark when you can't see the road for all the fresh snow.. When done right it's the best winter off roading you can do. P.S. the ladies will be impressed that You have the welfare first and formost in your mind, and will express it to you.... Don't believe me ? Just look at my fishing "BUDDY"..   Of course that's my   :twocents:

toyman2

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Jun '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Nov 03, 2004, 06:08:52 PM »
PUT THE LOCKER IN FRONT with it in front you have both tires grabing in the slick stuff and packing a trail for the rear tires i also run 38x15.5 gumbo radails for the snow on15x12in wheels no bead locks and i air down from 1/2lb to 5lbs with no problem
 other stuff shovel,strap,air,tools,parts,warm clothes,winch, be preparred to stay the night with bare ecetials (sp) and also seating a bead with eather is dangerous  just a word of warning
my OBA can set 44s

http://www.ravenoff-road.com/php/viewtopic.php?t=741
« Last Edit: Nov 04, 2004, 06:22:01 AM by toyman2 »

Rockdiver

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -118
  • Male Posts: 671
  • Member since Apr '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Nov 06, 2004, 10:41:06 AM »
Just a Note:
  CHP Requires all vehicles to carry chains in some areas (Sequoia & Kings Canyon Big Stump Entrance )(Shaver at 4 lanes) even if they are not required. I was turned around on my way to my Lodge while driving a Surburban with New Mud Terrains and Air Lockers front an rear because someone took the chains out of the truck.
Even heard of some Chips with a attitude asking to see them fit on the tires. 

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 190
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Hi Ho Marlin....u talkin to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Nov 06, 2004, 04:08:59 PM »
 :headscratch:wow, usually it says "chains or snow tires required", and as long as your tires say "M+S" somewhere that usually does it. We don't have that problem up here. I'd need a trailer to hold the chains for 38X15.50's.

Rockdiver

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -118
  • Male Posts: 671
  • Member since Apr '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Nov 29, 2004, 08:25:22 AM »
:headscratch:wow, usually it says "chains or snow tires required", and as long as your tires say "M+S" somewhere that usually does it. We don't have that problem up here. I'd need a trailer to hold the chains for 38X15.50's.

Give me a yell if you need a set. I can get Cables or Reman chains reasonable my chains for 12.50 35's were under 60.00   I also some times throw old chains in the back these might get you by unless you get the CHP that wants to see them fit . The rangers were out here yesterday turning people around that had no chains  ( For 2 inches of snow)