Author Topic: chevy springs  (Read 64936 times)

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
chevy springs
« on: Jul 02, 2009, 01:23:13 PM »
Quote from: liftedwithleather;200038
Welcome to 63" Chevy 1/2-ton Spring Swap FAQ

I made this FAQ because there was so many questions being asked about the 63" Chevy 1/2 ton spring swap for the rear of Toyota 4x4s. And I was getting tired of answering the same million questions everyday.
This swap is becoming so popular I wanted a place where people can come and have all there questions answered. Without me saying the same answers a million times. Below are all the questions from, people asking me, gathered from around the internet and from the Pirate message board.
Any contributions to add/help this FAQ along are gladly accepted.
So here they are.

What year and vehicle do you get the springs from?
The correct years are 1988-1998 1/2 ton Chevy or GMC truck. Don't listen to anyone otherwise. And don't worry about the front suspension it does not matter. You only need the rear springs. Those are the only
years you can get 63 inchers.

Where do I get these springs?
From a boneyard! All you need is the rear springs off an 1988-1998 1/2 ton Chevy or GMC truck.

Does it matter if it's from a 2WD or 4WD?
No it does not matter if they are from a 2WD or 4WD. The 2WD have 3 leaves
plus and overload leaf. The 4WD have 4 leaves plus and overload leaf. The 2WD are the
most desirable because they are softer with only 3 main leaves and are good on a pickup. You can use
the 4WD but you will have to pull out one leaf. Don't get me wrong the 4
leaves will work but most guys run 3 plus overload leaf. Some just run only three leaves.
Also some people run add-a-leafs too. Just depends on what you want to achieve.

How much should I pay for the springs?
Pay no more than $100 a pair.

How do I mount these loooog springs to my Toyota?
You must get a new front spring hanger and weld it on the flat part of the frame forward of the stock spring hanger.
For the rear shackle hanger, you can either go with a double shackle set-up (very popular) or weld on a new hanger back about 4 inches from stock.

Where do I get new front spring hangers?
You can either buy Jeep CJ spring hangers (some say they hang kinda low) or make your own out of 3.5" x 3.5" x 1/4" or 3/16" square tube.
You can't use the chevy front hangers they are shaped to oddly to work.

Can you explain the double shackle set-up?
Ok the double shackle set-up works like this. You connect one Toyota style shackle from the factory rear hanger (let it lay flat against the frame)
to another shackle going straight down to the spring. Most people run the stock Chevy shackle as the second one that mounts to the spring. Or you can make your own shackles.
Doing the double shackle set-up is just a cheaper and easier way to do the rear of the springs. No need to weld in a new hanger. It also gives you a bunch of extra suspension droop, which is a good thing!

How far forward do I mount the new front spring hanger?
If you are replacing 48" long stock springs, Mount them 11" forward of the stock spring hanger center hole to center hole. This will position the axle in stock location. Or drop a plumb line from the frame down to the center pin of your stock springs. Leave it there. Take off stock springs and line up chevys.

On 3rd gen trucks, mount the front hanger 9" To 9 1/2". 9" the axle will sit slightly rear of center and 9 1/2" should get the axle centered.

On 1998-2000 Tacomas mount the front spring hangers forward 7.5 inches. Earlier Tacomas have shorter springs, but I don't have the measurements for those. Anyone?

Some new info from Grabber(Pirate4x4 BB) for 89-95 trucks: I did a double shackle set-up leaving the rear shackle hanger in the stock location. Here are all the specs: Front spring hanger was mounted 8 1/2" forward of the stock hanger, eye to eye. ( I stated; I did it 9" before, but is actually 8 1/2", really 9" would be about perfect, but the less you go forward the better the double shackle will set up, I forgot and lost the info I had written down on my computer. Sorry.) I then used 2" x 3/8" Flat bar for the shackles. The top shackle is 5 1/2" with 3/4" washers on the inside of the shackle against the bushings (to space it slightly). Then I used an 8" shackle for the second shackle, putting it inside the top shackle, with a pipe spacer and washers between the bottom shackle (I used a 3/4" bolt at 6" for this, and size 9/16" to 3/4" will work fine). This leaves the bottom shackle slightly angled back. Looks and works good. With the mount being 8 1/2" forward of the other mount on 89'-95' trucks (which I think is really the best spot), you may need to lengthen your year drive- shaft about an 1" or 2", it works but its way down on the splines. I had another driveshaft out of a 79' that had new u-joints in it, and it work perfect, they are slightly longer. And I am using the stock d-shaft as spare, it should work fine as a spare. I have a buddy who put his mount at 9 1/2" and I will let you know how that worked out, as far as the drive-shaft and rubbing in the wheel well at full compression. But even with the d-shaft problem I feel 8 1/2" puts the wheel in the perfect spot. Another way of placing it, if you have a 2nd gen. 4runner, is to put it exactly in the center of the body mount at that location. That is where 8 1/2" ends up. Since 4runners dont have an original mount.

How wide are the Chevy springs compared to Toy springs?
The chevy springs are 2-1/2" wide and Toyota is about 2-1/4" wide. Please note on the Chevy's that the sleeve in the bushings at both ends of the spring is 3" wide. Thats why you must use 3 1/2" box tube (1/4" or 3/16" wall) for the front hanger (3" on the internal width).

Can I use Toyota stock U-bolts and spring plates?
Yes you can use the stock Toyota U-bolt but you will have to grind the springs a little bit to get them to fit.

What about a u-bolt flip kit? Can I just flip the factory u-bolts and spring plates?
 No. You will need new u-bolts and a flat piece of 1/4 or 3/8 steel to mount on top of the springs.

How much lift do these springs give?
You will get about 2-3" of lift. But the springs are very soft, so most people end up using some lift blocksÊor add-a-leafs as well.

Should I run bumpstops?
Yes! They must be big enough to stop the springs from going too much past flat, they bend right near the front mount if you go to far. So bumpstops are a must!

What length should the shackle from the frame to second shackle be? What about the second shackle?
Length of shackle from frame to second shackle should be about 5 1/2"-6" eye to eye. Length of shackle from first shackle to spring eye should be about 3 1/2" eye to eye or you can just use the stock Chevy one.

What size bolts do I need to mount the springs?
9/16 x 5" grade 8 bolts with lock nuts for the spring eyes. 19mm or 3/4 x 5" for the rear factory hanger

Can I still carry heavy loads with these springs?
Yes, especially if it has the overload. Remember, these springs came off of 1/2 ton trucks, they can support a decent load.

Can I put Chevy springs on a Tacoma?
Yes. Many people have done it successfuly. For 1998-2000 mount the front spring hangers forward 7.5 inches. Earlier Tacomas have shorter springs, but I don't have the measurements for those. Anyone?

Do I have to remove the gas tank to weld on the passenger side spring hanger?
No you don't have to, but it would be easier to weld if you do. You can get away with only welding three sides of the hanger and by filling a 9/16" hole in the middle of the hanger with weld. It will work. Just make sure you keep the gas tank skid plate on and shield it also.

How is the ride with these springs?
The ride is excellent on the street and even better off road. LOTS-O-FLEX and they ride like a Cadillac! There is such a big difference between these and stock springs that it's unbelievable.

Do I need to run a track bar with these springs? What about axle wrap?
No a track bar isn't necessary. The leaves are plenty thick enough to resist kinking. Also you can try using the factory Chevy overload leaf, but cut the leaf flush at the rear of the spring pad and leave the front about 8" long or so. This will help prevent any axle wrap.

Can I run these springs under the axle?
Yeah. But why would you want to? Unless you were building a prerunner. LOL

Is it worth it to mount these springs on an IFS Toyota?
DEFINITELY! It will make a HUGE difference.

Can I just buy aftermarket lift springs for an 88-98 Chevy truck?
Yes you could but the whole purpose of this swap is you get the most bang for the buck out of stock Chevy springs. If you buy aftermarket springs you will pay through the nose!

Can I still run a stock rear driveline with this swap?
Yes!

Will I need longer shocks?
Yes! You will definitely want longer shocks to take advantage of all that new travel you gained. Get Rancho 5012 or 9012's or Procomps. Bilstein 5100 series are also great shocks. 

If i attach them to an IFS truck without a front end lift, will it stick the rear end WAY up in the air?
No, as long as you only run three leaves with no lift blocks you should be fine. I am running that same set-up now. I have no front IFS lift and the rear is not that high.

« Last Edit: Jul 02, 2009, 01:32:31 PM by 79coyotefrg »
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

hilux-1983

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 1,271
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
Re: chevy springs
« Reply #1 on: Jul 04, 2009, 08:57:44 AM »
Wow! Everything I wanted to know about the 63's. Now, how about Marlins rear flexy 5" springs? Is there a Q and A for them too?
DD, 22R, L52HD, 35"s, All pro/Marlin Hysteer, 529's, Aussie Locker in rear only. 5" All Pro springs and 5" shackles. Just purpose built and dependable. A/C blows like ice too... www.4x4HIM.org

79coyotefrg [OP]

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 04, 2009, 09:51:51 AM »
:thud:

AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

toyyota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 05, 2009, 07:41:53 PM »
Thank you for this Q&A about Chevy's. I have been all over the county trying to find the correct shackle and front bolts. A 14mm bolt seems to fit the best, but I'm not finding ones long enough for 3/8 thick shackles. How do you fit a 9/16 bolt in a 14mm hole? Please, I'm not trying to be a smart a.. ,Are you pressing out the rubber spring grommet and replacing it ? My local 4x4 shop suggested using 1/2 bolts and get on with it. Thanks.

toyyota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 06, 2009, 08:04:49 PM »
I'm an Idiot, After checking one more time...The front spring eye in the springs i'm using is close enough to a 5/8 bolt that i'm O.K. The rear spring eye fits a 9/16 bolt fine. I thought I have 63 inch Chevys, but they only came with 2 leafs and an overload. Maybe a different year? I'm working through it...

79coyotefrg [OP]

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 12, 2009, 12:22:23 PM »
63 chevies only had like 2-3 very thick leaves me thinks

P-DiseToy24

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -230
  • Male Posts: 868
  • Member since Aug '09
  • DDNB!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 18, 2009, 11:06:13 PM »
63' are just too long unless your running 39' or bigger they just hang up and drag on everything.

Brandon505

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 85
  • Member since Jul '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sep 09, 2009, 10:51:11 PM »
What would i run if i decided to put the Chevy springs up front? would i use the 53" i think it is or just go toyota?

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #8 on: Sep 09, 2009, 11:01:14 PM »
just for reference... thanks Glen
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

86rustbucket

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 45
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #9 on: Sep 09, 2009, 11:35:25 PM »
if you remove the rubber bushing marlins large daystar bushing fits right in there, then u can use the normal shackle plates and 18 mm greasable bolts.
the stock chevy bushing is hell to remove i slowly heated mine up with a torch till i cuould push it out with a pry bar

JoeWelder

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -4
  • Male Posts: 146
  • Member since Jan '09
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Nov 10, 2009, 06:20:55 AM »
so my truck has a 3 inch lift right now with 3" springs up front and blocks in the rear.....putting these babys on would work out perfect for me correct?

86rustbucket

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 45
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #11 on: Nov 10, 2009, 11:46:29 AM »
yes   it should sit perfect
i just did it with the 2wd springs and i cut the overloa spring down like it says in the faq     i used some cheap 6inch shackle plates and i think i got at least 2 0r 3 inches

JoeWelder

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -4
  • Male Posts: 146
  • Member since Jan '09
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Nov 10, 2009, 07:36:53 PM »
looks like ill have to do the "double shackle". the guy that bobbd the truck before i had it, cute the bed/frame right behind the stock shackle

GotMyYotaBack

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 201
  • Member since Apr '09
  • "I like Turtles" Google it
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Dec 16, 2009, 08:03:01 PM »
Ur still gonna need to extend the frame a bit, the 1st shackle needs to lay on it. without the extension that horizontal shackle will want to flip up, wierd.

looks like ill have to do the "double shackle". the guy that bobbd the truck before i had it, cute the bed/frame right behind the stock shackle
Trekker Build- http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64943.0

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
So dont tell me I spelled it wrong! You knew what I ment.

Foghorn57

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 31
  • Member since Jan '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jan 12, 2010, 09:41:17 PM »
This sounds like the mod i need to do to mine as mine rides like my dump truck rough as heck.

Foggy  :cool:

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jan 12, 2010, 09:45:51 PM »
This sounds like the mod i need to do to mine as mine rides like my dump truck rough as heck.

Foggy  :cool:

63s ride smooth like a Caddy :thumbs:
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

1Knucklehead

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 15
  • Member since Jan '10
  • Your Fagged Off
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jan 23, 2010, 05:31:16 PM »
If your going to run Chevy parts buy one.

yoter4x4

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 31
  • Member since Dec '08
  • Team Bungie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Mar 12, 2010, 02:38:58 PM »
awesome info brother, you answered every question for me minus the mounting them under the axle hahaha.

i wanna do the 52" chevy spring swap though, would you say the questions you answered follow the same guidelines for them as they do the 63's? thanks man
Bullets don't know the difference between race, sex, or gender.. They Just Feed On Flesh!

<MIKE>

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 41
  • Male Posts: 618
  • Member since Dec '09
  • Swap, Lock, and Rock it
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #18 on: Mar 12, 2010, 06:25:49 PM »
 :slap:
1987 4runner
Dual cases, 2.28-4.7
Dana 60 Rear; Danna 44 front; 5.89’s
249:1

86toyota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 353
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
    • Montana 4x4 Association
« Reply #19 on: Mar 12, 2010, 07:22:54 PM »
I'm an Idiot, After checking one more time...The front spring eye in the springs i'm using is close enough to a 5/8 bolt that i'm O.K. The rear spring eye fits a 9/16 bolt fine. I thought I have 63 inch Chevys, but they only came with 2 leafs and an overload. Maybe a different year? I'm working through it...

Just buy the sky manufacturing kit, Cheap and takes the guess work out of it, new bushings everything!! i love my swap!! nice beautiful ride and tons of flex
T86OTA

wakkjobb

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -18
  • Male Posts: 1,590
  • Member since Dec '08
  • Back at it after 5 years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2010, 11:25:26 AM »
Love my 63s; got the 2wd springs (cot down overload for a spacer) and Sky's shackle hangers. Used existing home-made 5" shackles, had to widen them about 1/4" to get the Chevies in there. Just with I coulda moved the axle back another inch or two, but they sure flex great!

>>Dan
ASE certified shadetree mechanic and spoon operator
IronClad: If I wanted to hold hands and be nice I'd become a hippie.
85 4Runner, duals, 38s, 5.29s, locked, 3.4 swapped, GranVille Edition

BUNYAN

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 15
  • Member since Mar '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jun 14, 2010, 07:26:16 PM »
props for you going to the junyard next weekend to find me some springs
are there any other springs off other trucks that would work and are they as good as the 63's

Dr_Avila

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 19
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Jun 29, 2010, 09:34:09 PM »
can you post pics of the setup i'm gonna do this and need as much help as i can get
thanks
money can't buy knives

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Jun 30, 2010, 06:29:55 PM »
can you post pics of the setup i'm gonna do this and need as much help as i can get
thanks

Here is a link to the pirate spring faq page:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20665

Sure theres a lot of pics in there.

Here is a pic of my 63s in the rear on my 85 runner:

85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

71Dart

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 31
  • Member since Jun '10
  • 89D Army Strong!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Jun 30, 2010, 09:46:57 PM »
I am running the same set up in the back of my sassed 86 runner! They actually ride and flex amazingly well! Plus it was cheap!
89D EOD  ARMY Strong!!!

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Jun 30, 2010, 10:40:24 PM »
I am running the same set up in the back of my sassed 86 runner! They actually ride and flex amazingly well! Plus it was cheap!

Yup. I'd do it all over again on another rig too. Love my 63s.

yoter4x4

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '08
  • Team Bungie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Jul 01, 2010, 06:56:05 PM »
what about some clearance pics of the springs.

i think my front springs might be a little to tall
Bullets don't know the difference between race, sex, or gender.. They Just Feed On Flesh!

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Jul 01, 2010, 08:40:07 PM »
what about some clearance pics of the springs.

i think my front springs might be a little to tall

This is how it sits with 35s

yoter4x4

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '08
  • Team Bungie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Jul 02, 2010, 09:16:00 PM »
nice, thats an awesome heigth!

now im thinkin about doing it.... but my frame is cut behind my shackles because of the bed bob.... suppose its a no go than?

hi on lux

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 208
  • Member since Jul '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Jul 04, 2010, 11:03:09 AM »
using these 63's from a 1/2 ton chevy to a toyota will make its load capacity 1/2 ton too , right?