Author Topic: Can't get rid of freeplay in IFS steering box  (Read 2921 times)

smaug

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 3
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
    • Norwegian Hilux and 4-Runner club
Can't get rid of freeplay in IFS steering box
« on: Jun 18, 2009, 10:51:58 AM »
Hi,

I have a 03 Hilux mk5(not sold in the US) with one small problem I cant figure out. There is about 3/4" of free play on the steering wheel that I can't get rid of no matter what I do. I know of the adjusting bolt and have tried many times to adjust it to get rid of the free play but it want go away. I have tried to tightening the screw so much that the steering started to stick around centre quite much. I have also replaced the steering box with another one(used from a scrappy) with almost the same result(maybe a little bit better but not much). The free play is the same with the engine running or not and I can see the input shaft moves while the pitman arm wont. My Toyota dealer have looked at this and cant figure it out, and all my friends with knowledge about Toyota trucks don't have a clue what could be wrong since nobody have heard of a steering box with this kind of problem.

Now I'm planning to buy a overhauled one from Marlin Crawler, but I guess my question is:
What can be the reason for this free play? If there is a low oil pressure from the vane pump, could that be the reason? I have 33x12.5" MTR's on the car and its not abnormal hard to steer I think. Could it maybe be the check valve?
This is driving me nuts!

Please any comments would be great  :bowdown:

Regards
Smaug

WHITE_TRASH

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
Re: Can't get rid of freeplay in IFS steering box
« Reply #1 on: Jun 18, 2009, 11:34:34 AM »
Sounds like most every ifs box out there...  if all it has is 3/4" I wouldn't get too concerned with it honestly.  Try driving most any other 4x out there and you'll appreciate that small amount of slop compared to them. ;)
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

Bazzi

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 97
  • Male Posts: 1,095
  • Member since May '04
  • From Reykjavik Iceland...
    • View Profile
    • R&T
« Reply #2 on: Jun 18, 2009, 12:01:50 PM »
are you sure the free play isnīt in the link from the steering wheel to the box... are you looking at the input splines when you move the wheel and the drag link? or are you just moving the wheel and watching the tires?

I havenīt measured how much free play there is normal, but I would suggest you look at the (lack of english word) near the steering box there is a cross thingy, I would think if there is possible to have free play somewhere it would be there. and there is also a croos inside  the cab, inside the steering column.

good luck
4runner body on a hilux frame = Hi-Runner.
 2,4 dti duals 2,28 x 2,28 to 8" 5.71 with arbīs  and 39,5" trxus
gathering parts for my goal which is
350 Chevy 700r4 auto to 2.28 x 4.70  and 4.88 9,5" cruisers diffs,diamondaxles and cable lockers, 44" richard cepecs

smaug [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 18, 2009, 02:57:57 PM »
Sounds like most every ifs box out there...  if all it has is 3/4" I wouldn't get too concerned with it honestly.  Try driving most any other 4x out there and you'll appreciate that small amount of slop compared to them. ;)
Well I guess you have a point, but I do know these cars pretty well and on every IFS 4-Runner or Hilux I've been working on, there is always a way too adjust the steering box so the free play goes away, even though it can take some time. My car is the first one that I just cant get the free play go away :-( Another thing is that on my car, the free play feels very distinct. Its not a squishy feel when driving it witch is more common when there is a bad idler arm or ball joint.

smaug [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 18, 2009, 03:12:29 PM »
are you sure the free play isnīt in the link from the steering wheel to the box... are you looking at the input splines when you move the wheel and the drag link? or are you just moving the wheel and watching the tires?

I havenīt measured how much free play there is normal, but I would suggest you look at the (lack of english word) near the steering box there is a cross thingy, I would think if there is possible to have free play somewhere it would be there. and there is also a croos inside  the cab, inside the steering column.

good luck
What I do is too reach in under the hood and grab the steering column near the staring box and twist it back and forth(its that easy to twist the column within the free play) so I can see what's really happening with the pitman arm and there is no movement. The whole thing is mechanical connected right, so how can this be?

I'm also thinking of removing the steering box from the car and take it apart just to see if I can adjust it better then.

Thanks for the comments so far.

Bazzi

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 97
  • Male Posts: 1,095
  • Member since May '04
  • From Reykjavik Iceland...
    • View Profile
    • R&T
« Reply #5 on: Jun 18, 2009, 05:11:52 PM »
your hilux is 2003 motel... donīt they have the never stile ifs

do you have this box?  I donīt think I have ever seen excessive play in one of those...
4runner body on a hilux frame = Hi-Runner.
 2,4 dti duals 2,28 x 2,28 to 8" 5.71 with arbīs  and 39,5" trxus
gathering parts for my goal which is
350 Chevy 700r4 auto to 2.28 x 4.70  and 4.88 9,5" cruisers diffs,diamondaxles and cable lockers, 44" richard cepecs

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 19177
  • Male Posts: 2,324
  • Member since Feb '04
  • The 1st 3RZ swap 99'-01'
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
« Reply #6 on: Jun 18, 2009, 05:34:21 PM »
Get rid of the rubber rage at the U-Joint before the steering box. Its there to deaden the steering feel. But it really just sucks ass. I did this to mine and the play magically vanished.   No I dont have pics. This was before pics were invented.
www.4WHEELUNDERGROUND.com
info@4wheelunderground.com
AKA The GODFATHER The 3RZ Original

Performance Tuned shocks for Leaf Sprung Vehicles   http://www.4wheelunderground.com/Tuning.html