Author Topic: Tire Wear With a Welded Rear End  (Read 7281 times)

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 102
  • Male Posts: 2,470
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Tire Wear With a Welded Rear End
« on: May 31, 2009, 10:53:50 PM »
i was arguing with a friend about how much the tires actually get worn form having a welded rear, espicially since im going welded soon. have you  (from experience) noticed any major difference in tire wear?
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
Re: Tire Wear With a Welded Rear End
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 11:18:20 PM »
I noticed a little more wear, but I learned to compensate for it by driving slowly through turns, swinging wider, etc. If you drive it like its open you will see a lot more wear. It also has to do with what tires you are running as well I would assume; my experience with the welded is only on Cooper Discoverers (old style) and MTRs. I saw more tire wear on my front tires from having a bad alignment for a couple months than I saw in a year + on the rear tires with the lincoln locker. Personally I would not hesitate to do it again on another truck.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #2 on: Jun 01, 2009, 01:27:50 AM »
If you go quick around the corner, the inside tire will unload and you won't have much wear.........

:gap:
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 759
  • Male Posts: 13,855
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #3 on: Jun 01, 2009, 08:11:35 PM »
I never noticed a big difference in wear, there was a little but not anything that ever made me regret running a welded diff.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

kiyul4130

• Brown Star Award
  • Turtle Points: 279
  • Male Posts: 3,265
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Turdburgalin since 1985
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 02, 2009, 04:26:20 PM »
when i drove my truck on the road all the time i just had a locked front end. (lockright) finally one day being cheap i decided to weld up the rear end cause i was going to the rubicon in a week or something. i had already been there 3-4 times before but i wanted to see how much it would improve the truck. it did help it wheel but i can tell you right now i wish i never welded it after i got back. i rather of been open and had maybe a little more of an issue on the trail then burning up my tires and constantly hearing them churp in parking lots and around corners. i thought it was kinda cool for 3 days and got over it FAST. the truck got annoying to drive and wasnt as fun. get a lockright or detroit EZ locker or aussie, i promise you'll be glad you did. there cheap and its way better of a route.
-kiyul-
92 1 ton ex cab, marlin dual ultimates, 42 iroks, hydro assist, flat bellied, linked and more...
ECV 7-11

KYOTA FOREVER

TIMS89CRAWLER

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 35
  • Male Posts: 1,968
  • Member since Oct '07
  • BORN TO WHEEL, FORCED TO WORK...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 02, 2009, 04:47:01 PM »
:pokinit: every "locker" I have had has chirped around corners just like my welded diff does unless your not touching the throttle.... if you dont want the tire wear and chirping on corners run a selectable locker (arb, e-locker, ox)
Having a 12 second Honda is just like coming out of the closet; You're going to surprise a bunch of people, but in the end you're still gay.

www.choptechfab.com
www.myspace.com/choptechfab

1989 x-cab truck, 96 2rz swap, MC07-R10 duals w/flat belly, doved front, bobbed bed, all pro 5" springs F&R, lincoln locked F&R, 38.5" sx's and still at it!
CHECK THE BUILD
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39494.0

kiyul4130

• Brown Star Award
  • Member since Jul '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 02, 2009, 05:57:23 PM »
ive had friends with full detroit's and the lockright style lockers and on occasion theyve chirped but its nothing compared to a welded rear end. im sure since he's discussing welding it up he has no where near the funds to drop over a $1k into his rear diff.
-kiyul-
92 1 ton ex cab, marlin dual ultimates, 42 iroks, hydro assist, flat bellied, linked and more...
ECV 7-11

KYOTA FOREVER

TIMS89CRAWLER

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 35
  • Male Posts: 1,968
  • Member since Oct '07
  • BORN TO WHEEL, FORCED TO WORK...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun 02, 2009, 06:00:23 PM »
yep my full detroit chirped all the time under any throttle... and ya i would think thats right... lockers are spendy
Having a 12 second Honda is just like coming out of the closet; You're going to surprise a bunch of people, but in the end you're still gay.

www.choptechfab.com
www.myspace.com/choptechfab

1989 x-cab truck, 96 2rz swap, MC07-R10 duals w/flat belly, doved front, bobbed bed, all pro 5" springs F&R, lincoln locked F&R, 38.5" sx's and still at it!
CHECK THE BUILD
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39494.0

toyotamobing

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -8
  • Male Posts: 1,244
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
    • Poly Performance
« Reply #8 on: Jun 02, 2009, 09:22:52 PM »
my old bfg ats wore down to nothing a lot faster after i welded the rear...but the tires were old and tired.  just make sure you weld it up right!
1996 Tacoma 3rz auto 4x4
1993 Jeep XJ 2 door 5spd 4cyl 4x4
1996 Dodge 3500 12V 5spd 4x4

@alteredegospeedshop

MAKING A SLOW TRUCK GO FAST SINCE 2003

!!POLY GOATS!!
www.polygoats.com

POLY PERFORMANCE
www.polyperformance.com

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jun 02, 2009, 09:35:05 PM »
i chirp my tires in parking lots and around turns with an open diff
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #10 on: Jun 02, 2009, 10:29:17 PM »
Well i welded it up earlier today and went playing around on some dirt and it was awesome. it chrips some on the street and its ok. ill see how i feel about it in a few days i guess. it was a 4.10 third i got for free and it only cost me about $20 to weld up since i had to buy fluid and a tube of RTV. :dunno: i still have my stock 4.10 v6 third if i need to swap it back as well as a set of 4.37s in the garage im gonna run when i get SAS'd and then ill buy a legit locker. instead of welding it. right now welded works for me since im on a set of tires i bought for cheap and its all about wheelin this summer.
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1088
  • Male Posts: 9,756
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jun 02, 2009, 10:42:32 PM »
I've broken every set of 4.37s I've had in the rear of my truck, and that's with 31s, just so you know.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

toyotanner

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 66
  • Male Posts: 1,958
  • Member since Oct '07
  • low n slow
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jun 02, 2009, 10:44:37 PM »
yeah you will see a difference in wear but just rotate them as necessary to make them last as long as possible

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jun 03, 2009, 12:29:47 PM »
It'd probably be a good idea to rotate them with every oil change anyway.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

emsvitil

• Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #14 on: Jun 03, 2009, 01:17:12 PM »
It'd probably be a good idea to rotate them with every oil change anyway.

Oil...........  you're supposed to change the oil?

:smack:
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Dingman.

• Turtle Points: 1125
  • Male Posts: 3,448
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jun 03, 2009, 01:45:31 PM »
Nope oil just is more friction to slow you down.
id recommend just draining it right now!

:rofl2:

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #16 on: Jun 03, 2009, 07:12:02 PM »
I've broken every set of 4.37s I've had in the rear of my truck, and that's with 31s, just so you know.
thanks for the headsup nate. what part broke? thats weird to hear because my neighbor who i know beat the crap out of his truck wheeling said he loved his stock 4.37s and never had one problems with them... :dunno: i have both front and rear thirds, should i try to sell them instead and then afford 5.29s?

kiyul4130

• Brown Star Award
  • Member since Jul '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jun 03, 2009, 08:11:55 PM »
someone's not setting up gears right then if they keep breaking. if he keeps replacing them with factory 4.37 diffs then something else is going on...
-kiyul-
ECV 7-11

KYOTA FOREVER

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jun 03, 2009, 09:01:28 PM »
They've all been factory toyota set up diffs, and they've all failed the same way.  The pinion gears are weak, period.  Every one has broken off pinion gear teeth in the same exact manner.  Years ago I did a bit of research and came up with plenty of others who'd had the same issues with the factory 4.37 gears, but that was well before I ever had my own computer so I couldn't save anything.
RIP KYOTA

Broke_Okie_Ty

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -6
  • Male Posts: 733
  • Member since Jun '06
  • slightly deranged
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jun 03, 2009, 09:41:28 PM »
did you plate the spider gears when you welded it? i ran one welded 3rd for 6 years before i sold it. if you weld it right, they will last a long time. not powering through corners will help a lot with saving tire tread. either way run it till it blows up or you get gears and lockers  :thumbs:

toyotanner

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 66
  • Male Posts: 1,958
  • Member since Oct '07
  • low n slow
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jun 03, 2009, 10:27:15 PM »
i never had a problem with my 4.37's and i ran them with 33's and 37's

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #21 on: Jun 03, 2009, 11:22:12 PM »
did you plate the spider gears when you welded it? i ran one welded 3rd for 6 years before i sold it. if you weld it right, they will last a long time. not powering through corners will help a lot with saving tire tread. either way run it till it blows up or you get gears and lockers  :thumbs:
nope. i welded all the spiders together and then to the carrier at the 4 possible points.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #22 on: Jun 13, 2009, 05:43:22 PM »
my 4.37's had well over 350,000 miles on them when i took them out,
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Jun 13, 2009, 08:19:48 PM »
My first set had around 460,000 miles indicated, but there were more because the truck had run several or more sets of 31's with the stock gearing. 
RIP KYOTA

Matty

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -18
  • Male Posts: 875
  • Member since Jul '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Jun 13, 2009, 09:18:41 PM »
yep my full detroit chirped all the time under any throttle... and ya i would think thats right... lockers are spendy

thats weird.  when i had my aussie in the rear it would ratchet in turns unless i was on throttle in which case it would chirp, and I run a full detroit in the rear now and it doesnt make a sound at all.  You wouldnt even know its there until you get onto trail.  I was actually worried something was wrong at first but it works perfect.

Kaptain

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Jul 14, 2009, 06:10:07 AM »
I'm running a spooled rear with 37's and I have no regrets.

Haven't noticed much additional tire wear, slightly more body roll around corners, and it barely every chirps if I'm aired up.

Run it... anybody that tells you that they don't like it is just a panzy  :shake: