Author Topic: Harbor Freight Chicago Welder, Any Way to Make it Suck Less?  (Read 20934 times)

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 2,472
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
a friend bought a $90 HF chicago brand welder, he was having problems so i went over to check it out last night. and its horrible.  i could break any weld in half by hand. any thing that is easily changed/fixed to make it a little bit better?
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS

Rockcrawlintoy

• 4 doors for more whores
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 2147
  • Male Posts: 2,339
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
yeah buy a better welder
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

Tool Pimp

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,399
  • Member since Jun '06
    • View Profile

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
well thats what i figured, but its not mine, and i already have a nice lincoln so im good. but just wondering if anybody found anything decent about them at all

:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
yes, you can use them effectively, just need to learn how to weld, and practice.... a member here, cteng, did a budget comparison of cheap welders, he has down structural welding on his truck with the cheap welders, and he hasn't died yet :gap:
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Talon84x4

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 375
  • Male Posts: 919
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
Mine works great and welds strong, my problem is i have to take the gun apart everytime i put a new spool on
Low & Slow 84 PU - http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=31982.0
Central Valley Crawlers

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
i found that using higer quality lincoln wire was key..... my welds improved just in switching from the hf wire to lincoln wire i got @ home depot

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
Mine works fine. the gun was junk and I swapped in a Tweco lead assembly though. I do agree you can't dial it in quite as fine as a better welder though, and the settings aren't always consistent.

are you using flux core or solid wire and gas?

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
i think the $90 hf one is just flux core

hf does have some higher model units that are gas capable

i think hf carries hobart welders too now

~ John F. Kennedy ~

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
right now he has it set up without gas (not sure if its even gas capable) and hes using the wire that came with it. i told him to try a better wire and see what happens.

thanks for the help guys. ill pass it along.

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -64
  • Male Posts: 1,500
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
Dr.Maxwe001 – well i have a 15 gal compressor now and if I gett he 60  and then use the 15 as a reserve that wil give me 75 gal  thats close to 80 isnt it ?

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
Is the polarity correct?
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
If its the HF flux core, the better wire makes a world of difference.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
If its the HF flux core, the better wire makes a world of difference.

yup :) it definately did when i had one.... i think i posted a thread exactly like this one, and that is why i went to lincoln wire

~ John F. Kennedy ~

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile

yup :) it definately did when i had one.... i think i posted a thread exactly like this one, and that is why i went to lincoln wire

I've got a pick on my old computer that has a direct side by side comparison, HF wire and Lincoln wire.  I just laid a bead of each on a piece of steel.  HUGE difference!  HF bead was dirty, had a ton of slag holes, etc.  Lincoln bead was nice and clean.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

unclejpl4x4

• Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
I have the flux core HF welder  I use it   it sucks a little  but i never had a problem with welds not  sticking or falling apart   just not pritty looking  I have used it for my frame repair  works fine.
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

yota_krawler

• Cody Hunter
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 3,379
  • Member since Oct '06
  • proud parent!!!
    • View Profile
you cant run it like a mig welder. You have to have about 5/8s stick out from the end of the contact tip. The wire has to heat up so it can release the shielding. Minipulation is key also. You cant wave it like a flag. You have to watch the weld pool and make sure you are not welding on top of flux.
Tow Rig: 2006 GMC Sierra Crew Cab: lift and tires.
Wheeler: 1985 Toyota 4runner Semi Built: project http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=89681.msg1013539#msg1013539

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
It is a mig welder. and the longer the stick out less power its gonna have. can you say voltage drop. use like 1/4-3/8 stickout. and pre heat the metal. after all welding is just dumping heat into it. so by pre heating you get more penitration.  as for the stick out run the wire out of the gun for 3-4 and then have it hit the plate, it will just start to glow red. thats voltage drop the less stick out the more volts you have to weld.
Dr.Maxwe001 – well i have a 15 gal compressor now and if I gett he 60  and then use the 15 as a reserve that wil give me 75 gal  thats close to 80 isnt it ?

Rokntoy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 43
  • Member since Jan '06
    • View Profile
Buy a miller if I'm not mistaken they are the only welder that uses copper windings in there welder everybody else uses aluminum.
flopp IT!!! WE'LL DO IT LIVE!!!!

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
id get a lincoln 180c or the new miller 210 dvi

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
I've got a pick on my old computer that has a direct side by side comparison, HF wire and Lincoln wire.  I just laid a bead of each on a piece of steel.  HUGE difference!  HF bead was dirty, had a ton of slag holes, etc.  Lincoln bead was nice and clean.

:worthless: ;)

~ John F. Kennedy ~

yota_krawler

• Cody Hunter
  • Member since Oct '06
  • proud parent!!!
    • View Profile
It is a mig welder. and the longer the stick out less power its gonna have. can you say voltage drop. use like 1/4-3/8 stickout. and pre heat the metal. after all welding is just dumping heat into it. so by pre heating you get more penitration.  as for the stick out run the wire out of the gun for 3-4 and then have it hit the plate, it will just start to glow red. thats voltage drop the less stick out the more volts you have to weld.

its not mig. It is a flux cored wire. GMAW and FCAW, two totally different processes.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Category.taf?CategoryID=292

they all come with a flux cored wire. you cant put a bottle and mig wire in a 90 dollar HF welder.
Wheeler: 1985 Toyota 4runner Semi Built: project http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=89681.msg1013539#msg1013539

unclejpl4x4

• Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
I have this one I got it for doing small work    I got tired of driving 20 mins oneway 2 work to mig stuff and the stick welder on the truck was a pain.  ( last job)   http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=98871
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
YK So you want to get techincal huh. There is no such thing as mig anymore at all smart ass. DO you know who you are talking to? Im a welder by trade with a college degree. MIG stands for metal inert gas. Gmaw usings 75-25 or c02 in most cases. Guess what c02 is not inert it reacts with the metal. FCAW is gasless and it can use gas too. Its called dualshielding. I have certs in gmaw, fcaw (dualshield) stick welding, submerged arc welding, in fracture critical welds for bridges. For flat, horizontal, vertical and overhead.  The term mig welding is by ppl who dont have a clue about welding. Its used as a term for wire feed welding.

Thomas P

• Turtle Points: 109
  • Male Posts: 3,092
  • Member since Feb '06
    • View Profile
now now fellas were getting off topic, is it worth dealing with a HF welder? why not save for something that can lay a decent bead? prolly cheaper in the long run huh?  :twocents:
'85 EFI X cab SR5. 42" Iroks, Dual ultimates etc.
'84 Std. cab  Yota, Chevy 4.3 swapped (makes v8's cry)
'88 4 Runner 39.5" Iroks FJ80 front, taco rear elockers dual ultimates
'07 Toyota Tundra crew max 5.7 (grocery getter/tow rig)
'14 Camry SE
SCX10 Honcho on roids!

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
CHeaper and safer

yota_krawler

• Cody Hunter
  • Member since Oct '06
  • proud parent!!!
    • View Profile
YK So you want to get techincal huh. There is no such thing as mig anymore at all smart ass. DO you know who you are talking to? Im a welder by trade with a college degree. MIG stands for metal inert gas. Gmaw usings 75-25 or c02 in most cases. Guess what c02 is not inert it reacts with the metal. FCAW is gasless and it can use gas too. Its called dualshielding. I have certs in gmaw, fcaw (dualshield) stick welding, submerged arc welding, in fracture critical welds for bridges. For flat, horizontal, vertical and overhead.  The term mig welding is by ppl who dont have a clue about welding. Its used as a term for wire feed welding.

ANYWAY..... I know what I am talking about. I am a welder to, you have more years on me but I know my :pokinit:. You do too, but if you are certed in FCAW, what wire? T-8, T-11, T-1? what joint design? Under D1.1, or ASME? That is why I used MIG cause people would know what I am talking about.

I know the HF wire is no where near a structural wire but It runs like t-11 (I have found) thats why I was talking about having more stick out then one would use for GMAW. 

Blingn

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 155
  • Male Posts: 2,356
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
ok guys chill dont need to see who's rod is bigger than the others carry on with the topic.

Thomas P

• Turtle Points: 109
  • Male Posts: 3,092
  • Member since Feb '06
    • View Profile
ok guys chill dont need to see who's rod is bigger than the others carry on with the topic.
  :haha:
'85 EFI X cab SR5. 42" Iroks, Dual ultimates etc.
'84 Std. cab  Yota, Chevy 4.3 swapped (makes v8's cry)
'88 4 Runner 39.5" Iroks FJ80 front, taco rear elockers dual ultimates
'07 Toyota Tundra crew max 5.7 (grocery getter/tow rig)
'14 Camry SE
SCX10 Honcho on roids!

Talon84x4

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 375
  • Male Posts: 919
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
x10 on using better wire, the hf wire is crap. I've been using lincoln wire in it since i used the spool it came with and it's been welding great. Sure it's no high end welder but for the price and if you know what you're doing it works fine.  :twocents:
Low & Slow 84 PU - http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=31982.0
Central Valley Crawlers