Author Topic: 89 Autoslack Info  (Read 1633 times)

Jimbo Jones

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jul '06
    • View Profile
89 Autoslack Info
« on: May 05, 2009, 09:21:25 PM »
My wife's new ride we got her is a 89 Runna 22re autoslack,had to be a auto because she had a real bad wreck yr and half ago shattering both her femers and knees. She can get around ok but would hurt pumping a clutch and shifting all day is the reason :moon: Problem I have is the automatic shifts odd to me and seems to completely kill every extra ounce of power the little 22 can produce. Is there anything that can help a Yota auto? She wants to start learning to drive on the trails/rocks and use the Runna but even with 235 street tires you hit a hill its like hitting the e-brake going uphill :sad2: Shift kits,different converter,go ahead with deeper gears is things I've heard but would love to hear from some good Yota gurus :driving:

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
Re: 89 Autoslack Info
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 10:08:32 PM »
run the newer A340F and slap that 22RE A340H Belhousing onto it. and then run a gear case adaptor..

it will shift way better and you won't have so much power lose.

the A340H's are power gusslers
thats what I hate about mine in my 90 4runner with a 3.0
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

superyota

• Prestige Worldwide
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 71
  • Male Posts: 3,362
  • Member since Oct '05
  • what happened?
    • View Profile
    • Placer County Crawlers
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 10:13:51 PM »
adjusting the tps on an auto will make a difference to.  it can change the shift points to where they are not set right.  i don't know the measurements for an auto, but i'm sure someone on here does. 
ABD Motorsports

If you can't convince them, confuse them.
Placer County Crawlers - President 2011-2016
www.placercountycrawlers.com

Rubicon Trail Foundation - Property Committee member
Friends of Fordyce - Board Member
KK6QDW

Jimbo Jones [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jul '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 07:14:33 PM »
Any idea on what sort of adjustments help on the TPS? Looking at buying a set of 31"ers for her but when it don't pull itself up a hill with 31s she'd have to get out and lock it in just to pull a slight road on the road lol Don't really want to go with all the problems of actually swapping a different trans into it. Figure going ahead with a gear swap would be about the only thing to do but looking for other ideas :shudder:

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 08:35:55 PM »
Any idea on what sort of adjustments help on the TPS? Looking at buying a set of 31"ers for her but when it don't pull itself up a hill with 31s she'd have to get out and lock it in just to pull a slight road on the road lol Don't really want to go with all the problems of actually swapping a different trans into it. Figure going ahead with a gear swap would be about the only thing to do but looking for other ideas :shudder:

I've decided to get some 5.29s here soon and keep the auto.
its a huge pain for me right now.

I'd be curious on the TPS adjustment.

Any info on tweaking Timing, TPS or anything for help with autos.... I'd like to know too.
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

superyota

• Prestige Worldwide
  • Member since Oct '05
  • what happened?
    • View Profile
    • Placer County Crawlers
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 09:40:40 PM »
i'll see if i can find some numbers for ya :biggthumpup:  i remember reading about it a while back.  i just have to find the post now.
ABD Motorsports

KK6QDW

Jimbo Jones [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jul '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 12, 2009, 05:43:39 PM »
Gonna bring this back up and see if anyone has any more info on adjusting the TPS. I haven't drove the Runna in awhile until one evening and going up a very slight grade only bout 1/4 mile long it had to hunt 1st gear at a 8-10mph crawl like I was dragging a load of logs with me. I know the trans are power guzzlers but no way they are this bad. Checked all other systems out and everything is running like a top in good shape other than that. Appreciate it

Jimbo

superyota

• Prestige Worldwide
  • Member since Oct '05
  • what happened?
    • View Profile
    • Placer County Crawlers
« Reply #7 on: Jun 12, 2009, 06:18:45 PM »
sorry for the delay on info.  i'll get it up so you guys can check it out.
ABD Motorsports

KK6QDW

superyota

• Prestige Worldwide
  • Member since Oct '05
  • what happened?
    • View Profile
    • Placer County Crawlers
« Reply #8 on: Jun 12, 2009, 06:24:05 PM »
i hope this works, its from
http://celica-gts.com/users/oldmage/tips.htm

read it and follow this links, i'll see if i can find another one.

Fooling the Computer:

A well-known technique used with AFM (mass AirFlow Meter) sensors is to "fool" the EFI computer into thinking that there is more air entering the intake than there actually is. This results in a richer mixture and often, improved power and throttle response. Here's OldMage's explanation of how to do this for the 22RE:

Modding the AFM involves cutting the silicone seal around the black cover to gain access. Once inside, there's a "curly brace" looking metal clip in the upper left corner being held down by a Phillip's screw. Mark with nail polish or similar, the original position of the end nearest "12 o'clock" on the large wheel (arrow #1). Then, with needle-nose pliers or a large flat-blade screwdirver at arrow #2, pull/pry the end of the brace out of the wheel's teeth. Turn the gear wheel clockwise to lean the running mixture, and counter-clockwise for richer. The idle mixture is affected by this adjustment, so you may have to adjust the bypass after the main adjustment is satisfactory. Do not adjust any more than 3 teeth in either direction with stock injectors. Supposedly, a stock system shouldn't need any adjustment, and won't benefit much from changes. It's a trade-off; leaner can sometimes help off-the-line, richer adds to the top-end. The AFM should really ONLY be adjusted when you have reached the limits of the stock injectors and have had to replace them with larger units.

You can adjust the idle mixture by carefully drilling out the aluminum plug in the lower right "corner" of the AFM near the outlet to the throttle-body. Tightening the screw beneath the plug makes the idle richer, loosening it leans the mix.

(note, the screw in the AFM cover I added as a handle to make access easier)

Another item to consider adjusting is the throttle-position sensor itself. It's the black square box on the driver's side of the throttle-body. There's 2 screws that hold it in place. Loosening them allows you to rotate the sensor. Clockwise advances the changes relative to throttle position. Too far and you'll "disable" the idle position. If you retard it too much, you'll go into lean misfire around 3000 rpm. It should go from idle setting to mid throttle around 2500 rpm, I think. The plastic cover comes off so you can see the switch actions inside, which may help in adjusting it.

Stock specifications & adjustment procedure are here

"My" procedure for adjusting the TPS is to *slowly* bring the revs up and see whether you hit a fuel-cut around 2200-2500 (maybe sooner) rpm. If you do, you need to advance the TPS (clockwise, looking @ the TPS) slightly & try again until you don't get the fuel-cut. Hitting the fuel cut means the TPS isn't coming off the IDL switch soon enough.

(note, this procedure is ONLY for the 83/84 square switch-type TPS. The 85-up TPS should be adjusted to the specifications linked above.)

OldMage
83 Celica GT-S coupe
Camas, WA USA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

22RE Cams:
A big issue in modifying engines for performance is the selection of a camshaft that will not only produce more power, but will idle correctly, pass the sniffer, and produce good vacuum to operate accessories such as brakes. Gary Meissner shares his thoughts about 22RE cams:
Q: I heard that TRD [Toyota Racing Development] has a street legal cam made for the 22RE. I was wondering if any one has heard any reviews on this cam. I'm wondering if I should go and buy this cam for my 4runner. Or should I get one that's not legal and just switch between stock everytime I go for a smog check...

I don't know about TRD cams, but I have run a few different ones. The stock flapper door EFI should handle a pretty wild cam, but it may not pass emission testing. With my programmable EFI [Electromotive TEC-II] I just got a CompCams 268S to pass with flying colors. All I needed was a new cat and late ignition timing. It was very clean so I think it would have passed with my good driving settings. There is no doubt that the stock cams kills these motors. Even a mild torquer cam is a big improvement. For a stock computer, I would go with a duration less then 260. I think the street perf CompCam was around a 255. They had an all out race cam that was 280 butI doubt it would idle at all. Crane cams makes split pattwern cams with larger exhaust side to compensate for the smaller exhaust valves. I used equal pattern for the turbo.

ABD Motorsports

KK6QDW

superyota

• Prestige Worldwide
  • Member since Oct '05
  • what happened?
    • View Profile
    • Placer County Crawlers
« Reply #9 on: Jun 12, 2009, 06:25:03 PM »
i guess you have to actually click on the link and read it in the website to be able to follow the links.
ABD Motorsports

KK6QDW