Author Topic: 91 and 85 22re similarities  (Read 1456 times)

drayday55

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 299
  • Member since Feb '09
    • View Profile
91 and 85 22re similarities
« on: Apr 19, 2009, 11:11:06 PM »
can i use the intake from the 92 motor when i swap it into my 85?  or do i just use my old intake?
also is the distributer the same? will it work? 92 dist. with 85 coil computer etc...
also egr stuff
and finaly what about injectors?  can i get the ones out of the 92 flow balanced and cleaned and use them in my 85 intake?

thanks

93tonkatoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 463
  • Member since Jul '07
  • drive it till it breaks! then break out the tools.
    • View Profile
Re: 91 and 85 22re similarities
« Reply #1 on: Apr 21, 2009, 09:33:21 PM »
I personally would use the existing intake system on the newer long block (they are the same), if the older intake is functioning properly. It should swap in correctly. Make sure to check your oil pressure sender to see that it is the same (sender or switch),or swap that, too.

Mixing and matching different year assemblies and parts will cause you a lot more work (mostly wiring) than swapping the entire late EFI system to the older truck. The '85 intake should bolt up and align all of the ports properly on the later EFI head (and vice-versa). That being said, I can only assume that you do not have the entire '92 EFI system to swap in (intake, distributor, ignitor, wiring harness, and computer). In this case you should start by getting a copy of and studying the wiring diagrams for both year models, and seeing if there are any differences in the designs. Identify each of the sensors on the '85 intake, and the corresponding sensors on the '92, so that if the connectors (plugs) are different, you can place the existing sensors in the newer intake (or replace the connectors).

I have a '92 and '93, and when I swapped the '92 engine into the '93, had to use the '93 intake to keep from having to splice in different plugs. Also, When you do ANY engine or system swap or upgrade, WRITE EVERYTHING DOWN! Making notes in the repair manual is a good way to have the info where you need it. It can be an aggravating hassle to try to buy a part for your '85 truck, and it doesn't fit (because that was a part you changed). This is also helpful to any future owner, if you ever decide to part with it.
It ain't worth doin' if you don't have to clean up afterwards!

Build it, break it, fix it, repeat until your wallet is empty.

I shall infuse thy Jeep with the Essence of Toyota...and maybe that one won't pee on itself at the first sight of granite. - Duffil

SAVE TELLICO post 491

drayday55 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 21, 2009, 10:52:18 PM »
thanks for the reply, i have a running parts truck and i know the complete history on it.
I really got lucky, like i said  the truck was a p.o.s. salvage title that was rolled
he used it as a work truck for 3 years.  broke the timming chain 2 years ago. dad bought a used block. a reman head and had it all put together with new altenator and clutch for 2500 at some shope around here.
i cant complain about that!!
can i use the clutch or is 2wd different?

93tonkatoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 22, 2009, 05:31:18 PM »
I bought my 92 brand new, and IIRC, there was a recall on the 4WD trucks (built around that time) because the clutch or pressure plate was too weak, and allowing too much slippage. I was told that the clutches were the same as the 2wds, but that the 2wd did not show the same problem, so they were not recalled (I don't know any of the details - someone correct me or clarify please). Use the 4WD flywheel, for sure. I personally would recommend, while it is apart, put new clutch kit in (pressure plate,clutch disk, throwout braring, and break the glaze on the flywheel). Would be hell to have to pull it all back apart again in 6 months because a clutch part failed.

When I swapped the 2WD engine into my 4WD, the only difference I found with the installation of the long block was the little wing braces that attach from the bottom side of the block to the bottom of the bellhousing. They are not interchangeable between the 2 and 4 WD transmissions. Unbolt them from the block you are pulling out and put them back on the replacement.

I shall infuse thy Jeep with the Essence of Toyota...and maybe that one won't pee on itself at the first sight of granite. - Duffil

SAVE TELLICO post 491

drayday55 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 22, 2009, 10:13:26 PM »
thanks! i agree  a budd of mine is a gearhead but into chevys and corvairs insists the 2wd clutch will be fine. yah right!  its not like they are that much $ anyways

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #5 on: Apr 23, 2009, 09:17:50 AM »
they both have 4 clys
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

93tonkatoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 23, 2009, 11:39:16 PM »
they both have 4 clys

Very true, but the hardest part of a clutch's job, where most of the wear occurs, is to start the vehicle moving. A 4WD has a lot more weight to get moving than a 2WD.

SAVE TELLICO post 491

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #7 on: Apr 24, 2009, 06:36:08 AM »
there both made by Toyota
A good day working, that's just sick :reg: