Author Topic: 1979 Toyota 4WD Pickup alternator/regulator/wiring issues  (Read 36761 times)

82 HiLux

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 81
  • Male Posts: 750
  • Member since Dec '06
  • its beer thirty!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Q? about the 130 amp Ford alternator... how will the old stock wires hold up; risk of fire/melting wires?

the alternator will only put out as many amps as you draw, so the stock wires should be fine for it charing the battery.
but with that ford alternator, you hook up a big fat positive wire to the starter selenoid or the battery, and then a big fat negative wire. theres no need for the stock wires. 
i went with the ford alternator because it has a really high output, and theres a million of them at the junk yard.
82 hilux, bobbed, really fast 22r, 2 transfer cases, ARB's, 5.29's, 37" MTR's. Custom everything.

Dr.Maxwe001

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -23
  • Male Posts: 627
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
 FORD  :headshake:
IF YOUR LOOKING OUT THE FRONT OF YOUR 4X4 AND YOU CANT SEE THEN JUST TURN ON YOUR WIPERS. BUT THEN THINGS GET ALL MESSED UP LIKE IN LIFE.

WHEN YOU GET TO THE END OF YOUR ROPE JUST THINK THAT ALONG TIME AGO  YOU WERE THE FASTEST LITTLE SWIMMER TO THE EGG

08:55:22 PM BeccaLoo24 – i like to screw things

$99 scratch and dent drill press has drilled more holes than Ron Jeremy.

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=48342.0

[img]http://bo

82 HiLux

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 81
  • Male Posts: 750
  • Member since Dec '06
  • its beer thirty!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
everybody is so skeptical
82 hilux, bobbed, really fast 22r, 2 transfer cases, ARB's, 5.29's, 37" MTR's. Custom everything.

barrette12

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Dec '11
    • View Profile
will the charge system still work if the charge lamp relay is shot

Dr.Maxwe001

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Doubtful
IF YOUR LOOKING OUT THE FRONT OF YOUR 4X4 AND YOU CANT SEE THEN JUST TURN ON YOUR WIPERS. BUT THEN THINGS GET ALL MESSED UP LIKE IN LIFE.

WHEN YOU GET TO THE END OF YOUR ROPE JUST THINK THAT ALONG TIME AGO  YOU WERE THE FASTEST LITTLE SWIMMER TO THE EGG

tgmaul88

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 30
  • Male Posts: 985
  • Member since Feb '12
  • Im still alive
    • View Profile
Updated find: every parts store in the area and they all have black type plug but put out 40 amp 
the green type plug    alt is rated at 50 amp          wats up??????

Dr.Maxwe001

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Here is where I can be of MOST valuable to you search for my thread about this and I will be the first to say I spoke with marlin on this the green and black alti's have reason behind them read my thread Ill be online later tonight

Erick561

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -79
  • Male Posts: 909
  • Member since May '14
  • Toyota Truck Dismantlation
    • View Profile
    • Toyota Truck Dismantlation 75-95 Toyota Pickup 4Runner Parts
Back from the dead, working on my 79 which uses a green rectangular 4 point plug, apparently I also have a 40A alternator, issue is that one of the wires on my harness broke I can't get the connector out of the plug I want to put the wire back on the plug terminal and crimp it but I don't want to put the same alternator back in since I had to drain the coolant and disconnect some engine components to get the alternator out the bottom rather put a fresher alt in; the 55 amp version with the trapezoid 5 point plug and the harness that I have with the plug on it for the 55 alternators is different and fubar'd.  Haven't been able to find a guide might have overlooked it but I have IC Regulators on hand and 55? alternators on hand so I'd like to upgrade to the 55 amp what can I do guys I'm thinking about splicing the trapezoid plug onto my harness but I want to go about this the right way and the colors of the wires are different so is it an LEF or FEN, etc?  Thanks got to make it to the post office before 5PM to drop off my eBay orders.  Would like to use my fresh alternator with a billet aluminum pulley that i bought on ebay but also it seems i have to swap on an external sensor to it on the back as well?
« Last Edit: Mar 08, 2018, 09:48:56 AM by Erick561 »

Erick561

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since May '14
    • View Profile
Well I have some good news I just got back with the Tacoma from my storage unit and there was a box of my 1st gen stuff from the 52K Hilux I parted out, I held onto the harness in the alternator so now I have a good harness and I'm just going to put in the same alternator that fits my harness for now because I've already done 70,000 miles this last 12 months and I got to keep going to keep up with my overhead but I'm still considering upgrading to the 55 amp in the future when we have time to add the tech here thanks marlin

Erick561

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since May '14
    • View Profile
fwiw the charge light came on with the *13 regulator so I used *10, it still comes on during start up rarely but as soon as i touch the gas it goes away and stays off, will be testing my regulators and will get back here.  I am interested in upgrading to the newer externally regulated alternators, i actually found 2 more of the rectangular plug alternators and I have about 4 of the 84-85 style as well with the trapezoid plug.