Author Topic: Moab 2009 Trip - The bdrunner goes to Moab for the 2nd time.  (Read 3993 times)

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,052
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
29 days until I leave for Moab!  I'll be in Moab for the first week in May.

Planning this trip has been difficult.  I'm trying to coordinate with a buddy from Colorado, a friend from California, and two passengers from Washington.  The first week that we agreed on ended up creating a conflict with a work commitment for one of my passengers so we moved the dates two week earlier.  After everyone changed their plans, my other passenger got an invite to an extended family reunion in the midwest that overlapped the early part of the week.  This is the same guy that missed MCR7 because of a family conflict so I can't plan on him unless his family is coming along, I guess.  This afternoon, my other passenger realized that he and his wife have plans with his sister for the first weekend.  He should be able to get himself to Moab on Sunday, but the "ugly" part is that leaves me to tackle the 1,100+ mile trip to Moab alone.  I'll survive as long as I have a passenger on the "sad" trip home, but what a bummer!  I was counting on the company and hopeful to split expenses as much as possible.

The second level of difficulty on the trip is figuring out what trails to run and when.  We're also overlapping with another group from Colorado for a couple of days, I'm planning for three days of overlap and the other two rigs are planning to arrive a day later.  One of the guys in my group will be on his first trip to Moab so we're trying to balance the wheeling to include both difficult trails and the Moab classics that everyone needs to see.  So many trails, so little time.

I don't know if I'm   :down::tantrum:, or  :toiletwait:

I guess I'll focus on 29 more days
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

boggerunner

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 3,140
  • Member since May '06
  • Philberbuilt
    • View Profile
how many days are u gonna be in moab?
its just 1.5 hrs away from me, and depending on the trail, i might come down to wheel too

SLIVER

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 503
  • Member since May '06
  • ))--SLIVER-->
    • View Profile
We're going down may 7-10th. We should have 4 or 5 rigs show up. I'll be the only Yota though. All my buddies are full size guys.

Let me know if you want to meet up to run a trail or two with us.

))--SLIVER-->
))--SLIVER-->

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 1,616
  • Member since Jan '05
  • irish redhead texan, interesting combo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
hey i might be able to make it as well during that time frame or at least part of it
read and comment :whip:

USAF EOD tech

iNfErNaL

• El Presidente
  • Turtle Points: 109
  • Male Posts: 7,509
  • Member since Aug '04
    • View Profile
I have nothing to add other than , be safe , have fun and take lots of pics  :yesnod:  . Hope your plans work out good dude  :thumbs: .
WWW.GLOBALOFFROADSUPPLY.COM

Support Your Local Brawlers
 www.RockBrawlers.com 

www.offroadtruckshow.com

CrankyCrawler

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 30
  • Member since Dec '08
    • View Profile
Can't wait bdrunner!
1984 Toyota Pickup: Dual Ultimate with 4.7's in rear, R10 FROR Crossmember, FROR Twin Stick, Aussie Front with 4.88's and 30 Spline Longfield's, Rear Detroit with 4.88's, Custom ORS front and rear bumpers, ORS sliders and shock towers, Alcan 4" springs, 35" Cooper Discoverer MT's, Bed bobbed 12", and Soft Top.

http://www.offroadsolutions.com/customerprojects.html - Robert's 1984 Pickup

http://www.offroadsolutions.com/orsbbq08.html

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
so are you getting to moab on saturday may 2nd?

USAF EOD tech

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
so are you getting to moab on saturday may 2nd?

That's the current plan.  I'll be tagging along with another group through Tuesday.  I'll try to post the likely trails that we'll run later in the week if anyone wants to keep an eye out for us.  I plan to cover a lot of ground and want to keep our group small (three rigs).  It would be fun to cross paths with fellow Marliners along the way, but I'm not planning to officially coordinate with anyone.

At this point is looking like Pritchett Canyon and Behind the Rocks Backwards on Thursday and Moab Rim/Cliff Hanger on Friday.  Wednesday will likely be either Hell's Revenge or Golden Spike.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Birfailed

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 14
  • Member since Sep '06
  • Stand on it!
    • View Profile
Dude, pm me with some contact info.  I live like an hour and a half from moab.  in fact I'm going this weekend for a few days.  I'd love to go again, you guys gettin rooms or gonna camp it up?  I'll totally be there if you want another truck in the group :yesnod:
Go 1-Ton from the start

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
i'm in, k30 will have a rear locker but thats about it, maybe a 4" lift.

USAF EOD tech

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Here's the latest thinking for a trail schedule.

Sunday - TBD
Monday - Hell's Revenge / Moab Rim (time permitting)
Tuesday - Metal Masher / Rusty Nail
Wednesday - Golden Spike
Thursday - Pritchett Canyon / Behind the Rocks (backwards)
Friday - Elephant Hill

Note: Schedule is subject to change, Monday and Wednesday are likely to swap.

Again, it would be fun to cross paths with some of you on the trails, or in town, but I want to keep my "official" group to a minimum so we can cover a lot of ground and convoys = slow.

I've got 1,111 miles between me and Moab to cover on Friday afternoon and Saturday.  :driving:

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
looks like i'm gonna have to wait, finance screwed up my paperwork and owes me alot of money right now

USAF EOD tech