Author Topic: 1985 Toyota Celica-Supra DD/Project car  (Read 59457 times)

wakkjobb

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -18
  • Male Posts: 1,590
  • Member since Dec '08
  • Back at it after 5 years!
    • View Profile
Re: 1985 Toyota Celica-Supra DD/Project car
« Reply #120 on: Nov 28, 2010, 06:27:03 PM »
Nice score, have you been to celicasupra.com? They are all about that body style and have tons of tech info there too.
my buddy restored one of those and it's pretty sweet. Now he's building an 84 with a 2JZ engine for drag purposes; if it's half as awesome as the first it's gonna be nuts-o when he's done!  :burnout:
ASE certified shadetree mechanic and spoon operator
IronClad: If I wanted to hold hands and be nice I'd become a hippie.
85 4Runner, duals, 38s, 5.29s, locked, 3.4 swapped, GranVille Edition

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: Nov 28, 2010, 06:34:59 PM »
Nice score, have you been to celicasupra.com? They are all about that body style and have tons of tech info there too.
my buddy restored one of those and it's pretty sweet. Now he's building an 84 with a 2JZ engine for drag purposes; if it's half as awesome as the first it's gonna be nuts-o when he's done!  :burnout:

Thanks. Yeah I have an account over there, been reading up on their forums about doing the valve seals. Best place I have seen for info on these cars. I want to do a 2JZ swap eventually when the 5MGE gets tired. I just want to keep it 100% stock looking but with the 2JZ under the hood. Total sleeper. It already is, fastest car I have ever owned. Wish I had a manual. Might do the tranny swap before the engine swap, but the auto is nice, especially now that I live in the city. Definitely got a new found respect for Toyota sports cars after owning this.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: Feb 11, 2011, 07:53:19 PM »
Just some sunset photos I took earlier, didn't have my nice Nikkon with me though.

85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

unclejpl4x4

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #123 on: Feb 11, 2011, 08:03:37 PM »
i realy like the top one  but the eyes peeking back are creepy
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
Bodega Bay Trip
« Reply #124 on: Jun 17, 2011, 03:54:33 PM »
The Supra has proved itself as a very reliable economical, and perfect sized car for long road trips and vacations. Holds all we need for a weeklong getaway for my girlfriend, my dog and myself. Got 23 mpg for a trip that was about 50% highway, 50% around town, coastal roads. We stayed the last week in Bodega Bay, California, small fishing town a couple hours north of San Francisco. We pretty much just hung out at the beach, did a little hiking, and wheeled the RC crawlers. It was my dog's first trip to the ocean and she had a blast running around the beach. I want to go back and do one of their guided Halibut fishing tours. Apparently the gray whales did not migrate this year and were hanging out off the coast but we never saw any.

Few pics.

« Last Edit: Jun 23, 2011, 05:45:56 PM by 46&2 »

4RunnerChevy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 1,426
  • Member since Sep '08
  • Santa Cruz Mountains
    • View Profile
    • Santa Cruz Wheelers
« Reply #125 on: Jun 17, 2011, 04:01:01 PM »
Very cool, Bodega is awesome.  I love the rocky shores from Bodega all the way North.  I think next year I'll go there for the family vacation.  This year its Blue Lakes for fishing and snow.

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: Jun 17, 2011, 05:15:06 PM »
Very cool, Bodega is awesome.  I love the rocky shores from Bodega all the way North.  I think next year I'll go there for the family vacation.  This year its Blue Lakes for fishing and snow.

Definitely. We also like Fort Bragg a lot. Bodega is very tiny compared to Fort Bragg but much easier to find secluded beaches. One of these days we want to take a trip and just cruise up the 1 from Bodega Bay north. The weather was great too, no fog and temperatures in the 70s every day we were there.

Are you talking about the Blue Lakes north of Clear Lake along 20?

87hillbillyoter

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -43
  • Male Posts: 1,066
  • Member since Mar '10
  • git er duuunnn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: Jun 17, 2011, 05:49:16 PM »
sweet lookin car man, im jealous
:usa:
1987 SAS'ed toyota 4x4 pickup 22re swap
build up- http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=75111.0

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: Jun 17, 2011, 05:58:04 PM »
sweet lookin car man, im jealous

Thank you! She has been really good to me.

4RunnerChevy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,426
  • Member since Sep '08
  • Santa Cruz Mountains
    • View Profile
    • Santa Cruz Wheelers
« Reply #129 on: Jun 17, 2011, 06:03:22 PM »

Are you talking about the Blue Lakes north of Clear Lake along 20?

No, the other one.  Hwy 88, Tahoe area.  Nice car man, I had an 84, freaking awesome at 100+.

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: Jun 17, 2011, 06:14:28 PM »
No, the other one.  Hwy 88, Tahoe area.  Nice car man, I had an 84, freaking awesome at 100+.

Oh okay, yeah I was going to say that doesn't sound like the best place to fish and find snow at the same place. Always forget about the other Blue Lakes near Tahoe. Thanks, I definitely agree. They get on it especially at higher speeds.

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: Jun 18, 2011, 01:26:16 AM »
If you haven't heard of it yet, there is a Reno Toyota Supra Meet Summer 2011 meet that is being planned for the end of July(30th or 31st) in Reno.  It sounds like they are planning to meet in Reno then drive out to Virginia City or back to Tahoe on either Sat. or Sunday after the Reno coffee and cars meet.  It appears it is open to all Toyota and Lexus sports cars.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: Jun 18, 2011, 12:05:13 PM »
If you haven't heard of it yet, there is a Reno Toyota Supra Meet Summer 2011 meet that is being planned for the end of July(30th or 31st) in Reno.  It sounds like they are planning to meet in Reno then drive out to Virginia City or back to Tahoe on either Sat. or Sunday after the Reno coffee and cars meet.  It appears it is open to all Toyota and Lexus sports cars.

Nice, that sounds fun. I've been wanting to get out to a Supra meet up, haven't had a chance to yet. Thanks for the info I will have to see if we can't make it to the one in Reno.

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: Jun 24, 2012, 12:26:26 PM »
As some of you know, I was reaching a monetary/vehicle dilema recently. The Supra needs valve stem seals and while I would be at it, might as well rebuild the engine. The rear end howling has gotten worse, and no AC or defroster has began to irritate the hell out of me. Also smog is quickly approaching and I know this time it definitely won't pass. I had set aside a good chunk of cash to invest in it, but decided it was finally time to invest in a new car. Something I thought I'd never do.

So a few months ago I began researching and decided to go with a retired govt Crown Victoria. Did my research, test drove a ton of them, and settled on a 2008 ex-undercover Crown Victoria with 100,000 miles. It is the P71 package (beefy suspension, posi, extra cooling for power steering and trans, etc). The 06 and up also got kevlar door panels and I retained the police kevlar trunk kit, storage box and sliding spare tire tray. Paid less than 7 out the door for a 2008. It has been a great car, gets decent mileage, and it is comfy as hell. I've put about 5K on it so far. Probably going to do a K&N intake and a magnaflow muffler eventually. Otherwise just darker tint in the rear and keeping it stock otherwise.

I was in San Luis Obispo for a forensic fire investigation course recently and couldn't resist taking the CV out to Pismo.  :gap:

She did really well, even in the deep sand, well until I hit some REALLY deep sand....  :gap:

Supra is being retired after smog rolls around in August to await a full restoration.

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #134 on: Jun 24, 2012, 01:27:36 PM »
full restos are nice! i love your CV man. its dope.
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: Jun 24, 2012, 03:07:59 PM »
full restos are nice! i love your CV man. its dope.

Yeah, the 4runner is first in line for lovin', but after that I want to get the restoration started on the Supra. Plan is probably a 2JZ/manual swap, full restoration but keep it stock in appearance. Kind of semi-mod restoration.

yota_krawler

• Cody Hunter
  • Male Posts: 3,379
  • Member since Oct '06
  • proud parent!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: Jun 24, 2012, 06:20:14 PM »
slash sleeper....
Tow Rig: 2006 GMC Sierra Crew Cab: lift and tires.
Wheeler: 1985 Toyota 4runner Semi Built: project http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=89681.msg1013539#msg1013539

Dingman.

• Turtle Points: 1125
  • Male Posts: 3,448
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: Jul 05, 2012, 09:51:27 AM »
So does everybody in front of you drive super slow cause they think you're a cop?  :gap:

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: Jul 05, 2012, 03:05:36 PM »
So does everybody in front of you drive super slow cause they think you're a cop?  :gap:

Around town, usually. On the freeway, I own the fast lane. :gap:

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: Jul 05, 2012, 03:19:03 PM »
is that a gov? or pov?

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: Jul 05, 2012, 03:48:15 PM »
is that a gov? or pov?

It is a former government vehicle.

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: Apr 25, 2014, 01:48:05 AM »
Only update is I got in a minor accident that fubared the passenger front suspension/steering in the Crown Vic, so I am back to DDing the Supra again until I can afford/have time to fix the Crown Vic. Forgot how fun this car was after 3 years of not driving it. Hope it passes smog in August....  :crossed:

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 22, 2014, 06:40:22 PM »
Well the Supra died on me on I80 about a week ago. I was driving about 70 mph when the check engine light came on. About 30 seconds later I heard 3 loud "bangs" and the engine died. After being pissed a few days and letting it sit I went to run the diagnostic codes but the battery is now dead. Nothing happens when I try and start it but the lights do come on. Not sure why the battery died though after only sitting for a few days. So I tracked down a trickle charger for my battery and once it is charged I am going to run the codes and see what I get.  :thumbdown:

Last pic I took about a month before it crapped out on me. Anyone with 5MGE experience feel free to chime in....

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: Nov 14, 2015, 02:41:33 PM »
Slight update: The issue I had was indeed the alternator. Replaced it and she runs like a champ again.

That said, I am downsizing my fleet and the Supra is up for sale.  :rivers:

http://goldcountry.craigslist.org/cto/5316149282.html