Author Topic: Head gasket water jacket holes  (Read 2572 times)

Land Bruiser

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Sep '06
    • View Profile
Head gasket water jacket holes
« on: Mar 29, 2009, 11:31:23 PM »
  So... I have a 1996 Tacoma wit the 3rz that has been slowly smelling more and more like coolant every so often and starts up stumbly when cold..... I get a white cloud every now and then too...  I finally decided to pull the head and check out the gasket..  I noticed that my #3 cylinder had some white crust around the exuast manifold, so that cylinder was my suspect... Now, when I pulled the head gasket, the first thing I noticed was a bit of surface rust on the #3 exaust valves only, and it looked like it was leaking in very slowly from the exaust side.. When I further inpected the gasket, I noticed very small holes for each of the water jackets and then two holes on the end that were actually the size of the water jacket.. On top of it, the cylinder that had been leaking had one of these small holes plugged up with crusty :pokinit:... In fact alll the small holes along the exaust side seem to have crusty build up, where as the intake side seems alot cleaner.. Why are these holes so damn small for all the water jackets except for the two on the end? Is it common for these holes to plug up? Could this have caused my leak? The small holes just dont seem right to me.. Any insight on this would be great as I cant seem to find anything on this topic... THANKS...  :smack:

Land Bruiser [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Sep '06
    • View Profile
Re: Head gasket water jacket holes
« Reply #1 on: Mar 30, 2009, 11:28:44 AM »
Anyone??

79coyotefrg

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: Head gasket water jacket holes
« Reply #2 on: Apr 02, 2009, 06:46:07 PM »
i looked into this a few years back,  the holes are there so the coolant flows from front of block to the rear of block then up into the head and forward to the front of the head where it passes thru the  tstat housing back to the radiator

you would assume they wouldnt have those holes there in the water jacket but i have to assume it was to be able to remove the sand when the block was cast :dunno:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way