Author Topic: Easy flatbed idea  (Read 14064 times)

KDXSR5

• Poser Shot Extraordinaire
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 61
  • Male Posts: 2,812
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Easy flatbed idea
« on: Mar 29, 2009, 12:20:25 AM »
I hope this is in the correct section; if not a mod can move it. So I am tired of my rusty beat up bed but I do not have a bender or the time to bend up a nice flatbed/cage deal like I would like to. So here is my sort of temporary/possibly permanent bed idea. After reading about a super cheap/easy bed on yotatech (I know, I know) and looking at one of my trailers I came up with an idea.

First of all, here is the yotatech thread: http://yotatech.com/f116/how-build-flatbed-30-a-154825/

As you can see, very cheap, very easy, very ghetto.

So I started to think of ways to improve upon the idea while still using a wooden bed surface, but a metal frame. I came up with what I have pics of below. The frame would be made of angle iron and the fenders probably of diamond plate. I would use trailer deck boards to go horizontal across the bed surface, securing them with bolts into the angle iron at the ends. Stake pockets would be welded on so I could have some easily made wood bedsides if I would like. What you cannot see is more bracing underneath the flatbed. There would be more than the drawings show. I Just want to hear what you guys think about this and to get some suggestions, mods, etc.

First pic: Viewing bed from the top. The words on the right say "angle iron" and "stake pocket"

Second pic: The bed mounted on the truck. The dark things are stock bed mounts. Another mount would be added at the end of the frame and would include a receiver hitch deal. The words on the left say "light fixtures" and the other words towards the right say "toolbox"

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,582
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
Re: Easy flatbed idea
« Reply #1 on: Mar 29, 2009, 02:18:06 AM »
If you raise the bed, you can forego the need for fenders and have a completely flat deck.

I wouldn't use angle iron, it is heavier than you need.

If you have access to a welder you could go w/a flat frame like this,

then use what ever boards you wanted to for the deck.  Just don't use the OSB board that the poster on Yotatech used, as soon as that stuff gets wet it separates.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

KYOTA

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1759
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Wreckin Ball '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 29, 2009, 08:34:01 AM »
looks heavy

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 29, 2009, 10:27:51 AM »
Wow! That's so ghetto, it needs to have Shaft playing in the background.  :afro2:

You could build a flatbed out of thickwall square tubing. Thick wall is 11 gauge, so for most stuff it's plenty strong and relatively inexpensive. A well made square tube bed will also serve as a base for modifications later...as you can afford/need them.

It's only the opinion of some, that flatbeds are ugly. I like a nicely done flatbed more than bobbing or dovetailing...but, that's just me.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 29, 2009, 10:45:05 AM »
If you raise the bed, you can forego the need for fenders and have a completely flat deck.

then use what ever boards you wanted to for the deck.  Just don't use the OSB board that the poster on Yotatech used, as soon as that stuff gets wet it separates.

Raised bed is a good idea because then I could sink the toolbox down and have it only stick up a couple inches. Plus the benefit of no fenders. I like it.

I was planning on using trailer deck boards which would sit down in the angle iron and sit flush with the top of it.

You could build a flatbed out of thickwall square tubing. Thick wall is 11 gauge, so for most stuff it's plenty strong and relatively inexpensive. A well made square tube bed will also serve as a base for modifications later...as you can afford/need them.

I like the idea of a square tube bed as well, I just think that the angle iron/wood idea would be simpler/easier.

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 29, 2009, 05:27:35 PM »
looks heavy
Not that heavy at all.  The base you see there in the pic is only about 114lbs. I used .095 wall tube for the frame, .065 for the 45* supports underneath, had I used all .120 walled 2"x2" it would have weighed over 236lbs.  To increase the strength of the leading edges, I sheeted the outside edge w/2"x1/8" strips of steel, and used 1/16" diamond plate(13"wide by length of bed) along the outer edges for impact strength, and 42"x12.5"x1/8" steel plate for the rear edge.

The entire bed you see here weighs about 498lbs(estimate includes all of the steel, safari rack, and about 15lbs of welding wire consumed).  This weight doesn't include the side storage boxes or the storage bin underneath.  I would estimate those to be another 150lbs total.  I am going to have to get the truck weighed to see what its total weight is compared to the oem weight
« Last Edit: Mar 29, 2009, 05:40:33 PM by Snowtoy »
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 29, 2009, 05:35:24 PM »
Raised bed is a good idea because then I could sink the toolbox down and have it only stick up a couple inches. Plus the benefit of no fenders. I like it.
This is the storage bin i put under my flatbed.

It holds 2 drive lines, 2 spare CV's, hubs, tie rods, steering relay rod, idler arm, gear oil, scrap steel, misc specialty tools, etc.

I was planning on using trailer deck boards which would sit down in the angle iron and sit flush with the top of it.
I kind of figured that is what you were thinking, but I wasn't sure.  Just don't go over board w/the thickness of the angle iron, anything over 1/8" is going to get be more than you need if you are looking to keep it on the light side.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar 29, 2009, 05:43:19 PM »
Not that heavy at all.  The base you see there in the pic is only about 114lbs. I used .095 wall tube for the frame, .065 for the 45* supports underneath, had I used all .120 walled 2"x2" it would have weighed over 236lbs.  To increase the strength of the leading edges, I sheeted the outside edge w/2"x1/8" strips of steel, and used 1/16" diamond plate along the outer edges for impact strength, and 42"x12.5"x1/8" steel plate for the rear edge.

The entire bed you see here weighs about 498lbs(estimate includes all of the steel,safari rack, and about 15lbs of welding wire consumed), this doesn't include the side storage boxes or the storage bin underneath.  I would estimate those to be another 150lbs total.  I am going to have to get the truck weighed to see what its total weight is compared to the oem weight
my flatbed I can actually pick up by meself and get up onto the frame with a Knaack construction box mounted on it.

650 pounds is ridiclulously heavy for a flatbed.  Not sure what to say about the spare other than I dont see how you could see a damn thing backing up.

oh and 2x on taking advice from yotatech......here is the last "decent" flatbed design I seen on YT....and yes....this is real.. and yes...it is galvanized sign post.

Sorry, I dont have much else to offer as far as advice

RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Mar 29, 2009, 07:08:46 PM »
650 pounds is ridiclulously heavy for a flatbed.  Not sure what to say about the spare other than I dont see how you could see a damn thing backing up.

Actually 650lbs is pretty light considering the stock 3rd gen bed weighs over 400lbs alone, and the bumper weighs another 45lbs.  For less than 200lbs more than the oem bed/bumper combo I have a full roll cage, and storage space that I can easily access everything I need.  I don't have to dig for/unload anything for trail side repairs, and have almost same amount of bed space as an oem bed(absent the room for and aft of the wheel wells).

Granted I could have stopped at a simple flat deck like my first pic w/a roll bar set-up as a lot of f-beds run, and only weighed about 250lbs, which if I had built the truck just for day runs/trailer to campsite and wheel, I would have.  However, since I only wheel when camping and don't trailer my junk, I need to have room to carry everything needed for trail repairs as well as the gear I carry that makes camping enjoyable, i.e. more than an ice chest and a sleeping bag.

I haven't had an issue backing up on the trail, it isn't any harder w/the spare tire back there than on my '90 w/a shell.  I did have plans to add a back-up camera, but haven't found that I really need one. 

88Rokyoat

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Mar 30, 2009, 08:48:46 PM »
Actually 650lbs is pretty light considering the stock 3rd gen bed weighs over 400lbs alone, and the bumper weighs another 45lbs. 

:bull crap: I find it really hard to believe the stock beds weighs that much.  Pat and I lifted my tacoma bed off just the 2 of us, and I know I cant arm curl 200 lbs, like I did half the bed. And it has a spray in liner that adds wieght also. Plus the more storage and stuff you add to a flatbed the more :pokinit: you end up bringing that just adds wieght in the end. 
stupid people shouldn't have kids.

pumkin toy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -4
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Do You Know A Sweeney Bro?
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #10 on: Mar 30, 2009, 09:00:11 PM »
i would have to agree.  there is no way a stock bed weighs over 400lbs
97 4runner Limited
4runner Build Thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=54076.1410#lastPost

Started my own fab business recently check out the website  www.c4fabrication.com

also follow C4Fab on facebook for regular updates on projects. http://www.facebook.com/pages/C4-Fabrication/454285357953823

KYOTA

• Turtle Points: 1759
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Wreckin Ball '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Mar 30, 2009, 09:36:49 PM »
I must be a badass then  :talkingn: cuz I got mine off by myself then cut it in half down the middle and loaded each half into the back of my Dodge by myself 

All_Set

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -145
  • Male Posts: 543
  • Member since Mar '04
    • View Profile
    • Blue Ribbon Coalition
« Reply #12 on: Mar 31, 2009, 07:36:37 AM »
Access to a pipe bender?  Easy is a piece of pipe in the shape of a big arse U  then wood for the deck.  Downbars would be easy enough, Gas tank relocate to right behind the cab.

If you don't have access, If you only have few bends, go to your muffler shop.  They'll bend it up for couple bucks a bend.  (Make sure it's stupid simple bends unless ya trust the guy.. :D )

If you would like to help save the Rubicon, send money to the Rubicon Trail Foundation

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Mar 31, 2009, 07:11:25 PM »
Access to a pipe bender?  Easy is a piece of pipe in the shape of a big arse U  then wood for the deck.  Downbars would be easy enough, Gas tank relocate to right behind the cab.

If you don't have access, If you only have few bends, go to your muffler shop.  They'll bend it up for couple bucks a bend.  (Make sure it's stupid simple bends unless ya trust the guy.. :D )

That looks nice. I like it. Very simple. I may end up doing that, but I have access to free angle iron and trailer decking, so if I just do a raised flat deck I could do it for basically free. I contemplated doing the gas tank move as well, I just need to look into it and see what all is involved (I am guessing not much at all).

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Mar 31, 2009, 10:05:54 PM »
Heres mine....I can pretty much hold down anthing I need to with straps. :gap: This is just a temporary bed but its been working great. Its a Knaack construction box...holds a lot of stuff....

no bender used. I think the pieces were bent on a tree  :cool: old FJ tail lights

This is oldskools bed....its not quite finished yet. This bed is light.....It actually just bolts right onto the stock bed mounts (like mine :))

RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Mar 31, 2009, 10:14:42 PM »
Oh yea I need to cut about 8 or 9 inches off now since I moved my  rear axle up over 6 inches
RIP KYOTA

toyman80

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Aug '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Apr 01, 2009, 03:21:18 PM »
heres mine.  ive posted up a few pics of it before but i figure it could still help.  ive been sick for the past week or so so the bed has yet to be finished lol.

heres the design from what it was to what it is and it fits my first gen perfectly

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Apr 01, 2009, 06:28:58 PM »
Heres mine....I can pretty much hold down anthing I need to with straps. :gap: This is just a temporary bed but its been working great. Its a Knaack construction box...holds a lot of stuff....

Thanks for the pictures DTB, I appreciate it. I would like to do something like oldskools bed, but no bender and little time or $$ = no.

heres mine.  ive posted up a few pics of it before but i figure it could still help.  ive been sick for the past week or so so the bed has yet to be finished lol.

heres the design from what it was to what it is and it fits my first gen perfectly

That looks extremely similar to what I want to do, but heavier and I will probably sink the toolbox. Thank you for posting that picture, it gives me a good idea of what it will look like when done. Do you have issues with the tires rubbing the underside of the bed? Or have you not had a chance to wheel it since you are sick?

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 59
  • Male Posts: 2,470
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #18 on: Apr 01, 2009, 09:29:28 PM »
iv always really liked Hyena's old flat bed

pic 1 is hyenas, pic 2 is my design before seeeing his with some removable fenders fro street use

:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Apr 01, 2009, 09:36:29 PM »
Now that i see it I remember reading Hyena's flatbed quite a while ago. One of the many I have looked at over that last couple years. I liked it. The removable fenders is a great idea! Thanks for the input NCT.

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Apr 01, 2009, 11:32:35 PM »
:bull:pokinit:: I find it really hard to believe the stock beds weighs that much.  Pat and I lifted my tacoma bed off just the 2 of us, and I know I cant arm curl 200 lbs, like I did half the bed. And it has a spray in liner that adds wieght also.

I used the registration fee weight of the title and the weight of the truck from my local transfer station(dumps) after I removed the bed and bumper.  The stated unladen weight on the title is 3355lbs and the weight from the transfer station was 2897lbs w/o any passengers.  That is a difference of 458lbs.  I still have the stock rear bumper and it weighs 45lbs according to my home scale.

Since I still have the bed from my '91, I went ahead and put a scale under each end.  The rear was 147lbs, and the front was 163lbs.  The difference in weight could have been either from the margin of error within each scale, or the fact that the bed wasn't level(about a 10* angle sloped back to front).  I tried standing it on end on one scale but it  maxed out the 300lb scale.  Seeing how some of you feel the 3rd gen and Taco beds you have removed weren't that heavy, it is likely the weight is closer to 310lbs(combined scale weight) than 413lbs from using the registration fee weight and that from the transfer station.  I going to try and get the truck weighed this week, so I can compare the before and after weights.

Plus the more storage and stuff you add to a flatbed the more :pokinit: you end up bringing that just adds wieght in the end
True.  However when you have to bring as much crap as I do to go camping and the parts needed for trail repairs, you really don't have much of a choice.  Like I said earlier if I was only using it to wheel, or could get by w/just the basics, I would have done something similar to the one you had on your 1st gen.
« Last Edit: Apr 01, 2009, 11:40:02 PM by Snowtoy »

hammer

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 27
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Apr 05, 2009, 05:22:20 PM »
I think the wood and anlge iron  sounds like a fantastic idea.  The more wood on a truck the better. like mother natures gift to your truck.  The only thing i would do differently is instead of the trailer decking I would get some fine hardwood toung and groove boards sand them down and put a nice finish on them.  You bed would look better than your livingroom floor. :turtle3:
The Toyota recalls are  conspiracies created by the government to protect and promote their investments (GM and Chrysler).
Im not joking

toyman80

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Apr 06, 2009, 12:33:44 PM »
Thanks for the pictures DTB, I appreciate it. I would like to do something like oldskools bed, but no bender and little time or $$ = no.

That looks extremely similar to what I want to do, but heavier and I will probably sink the toolbox. Thank you for posting that picture, it gives me a good idea of what it will look like when done. Do you have issues with the tires rubbing the underside of the bed? Or have you not had a chance to wheel it since you are sick?

i haventhit any w=hard stuff but i have flexed it with no rubbaga at all. it actually works really well and i weight about 300lbs less then having a bed. its pretty light. yeah i was going to sink the box but im going to box everything underneath and put some hinges on the center 4 2x4's so they can fold up.

toyman80

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Apr 07, 2009, 11:35:45 AM »
the next part of the bed to be done will be a rail about 12in up that willl run the length of the bed and angle in and down at the dove to right next to the taillights. then a large hoop around the back of the cab to start the exo.  ill propably run a couple of supports from the top of the hoop down to where the dove on the bed starts as well.  kinda work it into the soon to be rail lol.

Doable

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 69
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Apr 13, 2009, 09:55:46 PM »
Here is one that I just build and bolts up just like the factory bed does, amd made place to fit a tool box for storage.

Nothing puts a smlie on my face like the green glow of 4x4 on the dash !
BSLCA.com