Author Topic: new motor  (Read 3344 times)

bigyota

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 79
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
new motor
« on: Mar 03, 2009, 10:12:02 PM »
ok im gunna do a motor swap soon just tryin to figure out exactly what im gunna do im undecided between a 4.0 jeep with the automatic or the 2jz out of a supra. im not sure on how reliable each of them are or powerwise i do know you dont always need the power and a twin turbo has alot but is it to much? im not lookin at pricing much ill pay what i have to so i can get a reliable strong running truck my 22r that i have has just been nothin but problems and ideas suggestions or info would be great thanks

joey0712

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,459
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
Re: new motor
« Reply #1 on: Mar 03, 2009, 10:21:02 PM »
4.o Heep??? o god no Keep it in the family. Do a 3rz swap!
91 Toyota High pinions f&r.

boggerunner

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 3,140
  • Member since May '06
  • Philberbuilt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 03, 2009, 11:10:05 PM »
the 2jz would be cool, but its a ton of work and even more $$, go with a 3rz, or if u want a bigger one, try a 3.4.  but avoid the supra motor unless u have deep pokets and can build a custom oilpan/ pickup tube.  the stock one is a front sump aluminum pan with the pump built into the side of it.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 04, 2009, 06:30:50 AM »
you're gonna have a hard time squeezing that 4.0 into a toy engine bay.  It can be done, but it'd be tight.  Blingn XJ loved his 4.0 in his cherokee, and was planning on going that way at one point.  You can ask him anything you want to know about it.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

bigyota [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 06, 2009, 02:30:34 PM »
im wanting the inline 6 so i dont want a 3rz and i have never had luck with a toyota 6 i personally hate them i have a few friends that run the xjs and they all have the inline 6 and when we cruise out to the trail i get horibly left behind tryin to run the free ways we all are runnin about the same size tires and i have lower gears i dont want a v8 because of the wieght factor th inline 6 also has more torque does anyone know if there is an adapter to go from the jeep trans to a yota tcase?

87pickup

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 33
  • Male Posts: 719
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 06, 2009, 07:24:47 PM »
I went from a 22rte to a 3rz and would say its worth it for sure. Relatively easy swap and pretty good results. With my old engine even driving on the street with 37s and in 2hi it was a dog. But after the 3rz swap it does what i ask it to. Its no race car but has no problem breaking them loose.

pumkin toy

• Turtle Points: -4
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Do You Know A Sweeney Bro?
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #6 on: Mar 06, 2009, 07:50:28 PM »
go with the 3rz
97 4runner Limited
4runner Build Thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=54076.1410#lastPost

Started my own fab business recently check out the website  www.c4fabrication.com

also follow C4Fab on facebook for regular updates on projects. http://www.facebook.com/pages/C4-Fabrication/454285357953823

bigyota [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar 07, 2009, 07:44:17 PM »
if i was to do a 3rz what all would i need to get or is there a kit made and will i bolt up to my old trans or do i need a newer one?

pumkin toy

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #8 on: Mar 07, 2009, 10:11:32 PM »
check out The Official 3RZ Knowledge and Database Thread and start reading!  you will find tons of info there.
97 4runner Limited
4runner Build Thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=54076.1410#lastPost

Started my own fab business recently check out the website  www.c4fabrication.com

also follow C4Fab on facebook for regular updates on projects. http://www.facebook.com/pages/C4-Fabrication/454285357953823

Steve_925

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -86
  • Male Posts: 1,876
  • Member since Feb '07
  • F***in catalina wine mixer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Mar 07, 2009, 10:56:50 PM »
could also do a 4.3 vortec. i would thing the 2jz wouldnt be very good for a trail rig, it would proble run hella hot
1973 HILUX build up-------> http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=48133.new#new

UA 342
STEAMFITTERS

dniel

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 194
  • Member since Feb '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Mar 07, 2009, 11:00:10 PM »
Do a little research on toyota/lexus v8s (1uz & 2uz). The only down side to these motors is that they do not come with a manual and it sounds like you are OK with an auto. The 1uz is all aluminum and weighs less than a 2jz or a heep 4.0. If you are set on the heep motor the early models used toyota trannys both auto and manual so it shouldn't be to hard to convert. ax15= r150  aw5(I think)=a340f. Some parts are different but you get the idea. People are recomending the 3rz because it is a lot less work than any of these others.

Around the Portland Or. area the pre 97 1uz go for 300-400$ in the junkyards. These motors are extremely reliable and run past 300,000 if cared for. What ever motor you do it will be better if you can buy the whole vehicle. I paid 500$ for a wrecked 93 Lexus with 100,116 miles,

Lexus 1uz 250hp 260tq.

1uz-fe, 1 tons, 44" tsl

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Mar 08, 2009, 03:04:14 AM »
For a twin turbo 2jz, you are looking at an easy $2500 just for the motor and wiring harness.  It is a sought after engine in the MKIII Supra world.  The twin turbo is an easy 300hp, and 400hp w/basic power mods.  IMO, a lot more power/torque than is need for a trail rig.  The NA version is rated at 220, but isn't cheap to buy either.  The turbo wouldn't get too hot on the trail, unless you were spooling the turbo.  You would have to use a turbo boost adjuster to zero pounds to prevent the turbo's from spooling when crawling.  The real issue w/the turbos on a trail rig would be when using them you have to let the engine idle a few minutes after use to cool down, which on teh trail often isn't that easy to do w/a trail rig. 

If you want a straight 6, you should look into a 5m or 7m.  The 5m is about 161hp, and the 7m(non turbo) is about 200hp, both of which can be built for more power.  Both of them should be cheap to get, since Supra builders often dump them for turbo'd 7m's, 1.5jz's, or 2jz's. 

Another option would be to do a power build of a 22r(e), which should be good for about 145 and would be a lot cheaper/easier than any swap.  A buddy of mine ran a built-up 22r in his '84 w/a Webber, it did well in the mountains, and he was running 36's w/5.29's.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

bigyota [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Mar 10, 2009, 12:08:52 AM »
i have plenty of power on the trail in first or second never get out of those gears there were i need the power to is drivin on the road im runnin 35s with 5.29 gears and a freshly rebuilt motor only about 7000 miles on it but when we head to the trails we do alot of freeway runnin to get there it is my dd i dont have an issue spendong money if it will get me what im lookin for and im upgrading to a 38.5x15 tire in the next month i have retimed my motor had it done buy a pro here in town done a cam header and carb with intake on it and still cant keep ip with the other guys im not afriad to cut weld or mess with wiring im just lookin for a reliable strong motor i have never heard of doin the lexuz swap tho

TheCookieMonster

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Male Posts: 973
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Mar 10, 2009, 12:29:46 AM »
if you want a 6 cyl. go with the 3.4 v6. they are a great motor with lots of power and dependable  :twocents:...just stay away from the heep business   :thumbs:

66cobra

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 34
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Mar 10, 2009, 05:55:53 AM »
 the big pipin' ride gets bonus points ,that motor looks way complicated for a trail rig but i like it anyway
it's not me, it's you

93tonkatoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 463
  • Member since Jul '07
  • drive it till it breaks! then break out the tools.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Mar 10, 2009, 11:37:45 AM »
If you are running 5.29's and 35's on a fresh rebuild, and having power problems, then something is wrong. I am running the same on a 250k mile engine  (original rings, with replaced HG and rod bearings, no smoke, but uses 1 qt of oil per tank of gas), and can run 70 at half throttle. I would take another look at the engine - timing, plugs, sensors, carb... something is killing your power. The 22r should be making enough power to push you.

If you find a donor, an EFI swap could be done pretty easily to the 22r.
It ain't worth doin' if you don't have to clean up afterwards!

Build it, break it, fix it, repeat until your wallet is empty.

I shall infuse thy Jeep with the Essence of Toyota...and maybe that one won't pee on itself at the first sight of granite. - Duffil

SAVE TELLICO post 491

pumkin toy

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #16 on: Mar 10, 2009, 07:48:35 PM »
If you are running 5.29's and 35's on a fresh rebuild, and having power problems, then something is wrong. I am running the same on a 250k mile engine  (original rings, with replaced HG and rod bearings, no smoke, but uses 1 qt of oil per tank of gas), and can run 70 at half throttle. I would take another look at the engine - timing, plugs, sensors, carb... something is killing your power. The 22r should be making enough power to push you.
:werd: i'm runnin 37's 5:29s and a 20r/22r hybrid.  i can cruise down the highway at 70 pretty easily. my buddy has a 99 cherokee with the 4.0L and 33's, and i can keep up with him.
97 4runner Limited

dniel

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Mar 11, 2009, 11:09:59 AM »
The lexus swap is common in Oz but has never really caught on here in the US. If an auto is used it can be done quite cheaply. Like I said before the best thing to do is get a wrecked car so you have everything you need. They are very strong motors with six bolt mains. If you are interested in this look at lextreme.com. I also have a thread in the project section here.

Someone mentioned the 7m I had one in my old 4runner. They have a reputation for head gasket problems but I dd and wheeled mine for 2.5 years with no problems. They don't have the best low end torque but are much better than a 22r. They really shine on the freeway and will pull any grade in 4th gear (5spd). The best thing is they are a very easy swap and pretty much bolt in place of a 22r.
1uz-fe, 1 tons, 44" tsl

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Mar 11, 2009, 03:08:59 PM »
Did you get the PM I sent you about a company that makes adapters to run a W58 manual behind the Lexus V8 engines?

The HG issue w/the 7m is/was similar to that of the 3.0, i.e., designed for an asbestos HG and not being allowed to use one here in the U.S., and then not compensating w/a higher torque value for the head bolts.  80ft lbs is what is recommended now for the 7m HG.  A lot of MKIII Supra owners have been able to re-torque the head bolts and have gotten good life out of the oem/oem style HG.  The other issue w/the oem/oem style HG is when turning up the boost, the paper gasket can't w/stand the pressure for long and then lets go.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.

H8PVMNT

• Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Mar 11, 2009, 05:28:47 PM »
I'm doing a 3RZ swap right now...  Easy swap and a nice hot 4 banger.  Just right for the truck I think. Putting in a 4.0 from a jeep would be kind of like swapping your 8" rear end for a c-clip dana 35...   don't do it!  The lexus V-8 thing would be pretty trick though.
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

dniel

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Mar 11, 2009, 06:58:59 PM »
I got your pm. I planned on running the auto from the begining of the build. I looked at the site and was confused that they did't seem to have anything for an R series. I not sure that a w56 would be up to the task of a 1uz in a heavy rig. One question I had was if the input length on the W's is all the same and if this would matter. The reason I ask is the R's have several lengths.

I am a fan of the 7m. I was originally going to use it in my build until the lexus fell in my lap. It did pretty good in my 4runner with 37"s and 5.29s. I think with 35"s and 5.29s in a single cab truck it would be quite fast.

My buddy has a toyota trecker that we have been talking about putting the 7m in but we are lazy so it's been sitting under a tarp in my backyard for 6 months.  :shake:
1uz-fe, 1 tons, 44" tsl

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Mar 12, 2009, 12:13:40 AM »
Does the 7m bolt up directly to the w56 or R151f?, or do you have to use an adapter plate, or swap bell housings?

After rebuilding the 7mgte for my '87 Supra project build, and seeing how small it actually is, I think if I come across one for cheep I will pick it up to go in my '91 x-cab.  My '91 is geared correctly for 35's and the engine is freshly rebuilt, but it isn't much of a joy to drive power wise, fortunately it is only used for wheeling  so for now it is livable.  One of these days I wil have to take some measurements and see how the 7m would fit in the '91's engine bay.

dniel

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Mar 12, 2009, 09:59:09 AM »
The 7m will bolt to a w56 with a n/a 7m bell housing. The R is a little more difficult as the r154 for a 7mgt has a longer input than a 4x4 R and you would need to swap inputs or modify the bell housing to make it work. The w56 is much easier and would probably hold up if your truck is not to heavy. The 7m will bolt into place of a 22r using 5m motor mounts. It will fit in the engine bay but there is no room for the stock fan and you will need to run electric fans. A 2" body lift makes the swap easier but is not necessary.
1uz-fe, 1 tons, 44" tsl

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Mar 12, 2009, 02:49:55 PM »
Thanks for the info,  I already have 2" BL, and I was planning on running a Black Magic E-fan anyways.  I am currently using a G58 transmission, so I should O.K.  I wont be hot rod'en the truck, that is what my 450 rwhp Supra project is for. :greengrin:  I am not sure on the weight of the truck, title weight is 3355lbs, but I have swapped the oem bed for a flatbed I built, and have yet to reweigh the truck.
« Last Edit: Mar 13, 2009, 02:09:19 PM by Snowtoy »

dniel

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Mar 12, 2009, 04:18:00 PM »
You should be fine I ran a g54 behind my 7m in my 4runner and it held up fine. I used a stock supra radiator with twin electric fans. The supra radiator fits quite easily I'm not sure why more people don't use it. I wired the fans to switch power so they were always on when the engine was running. The fans seem to last forever and I would not trust my engine to some cheesy temp. relay. The motor would get a little hot on long slow hill climbs but I never over heated it.
1uz-fe, 1 tons, 44" tsl

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Mar 12, 2009, 10:54:07 PM »
That is the only way to run e-fans.  The Black Magic comes w/an adjustable t-stat, but I just went ahead and wired directly to a keyed source.  I had seen to many t-stats fall out of the rad, or temp relays stop working to rely on one.