Author Topic: 3vze spark plug thread repair  (Read 11020 times)

jaywross

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Member since May '08
    • View Profile
3vze spark plug thread repair
« on: Feb 21, 2009, 12:52:39 PM »
i have a 95 pickup with the 3.0L v6. the #1 cylinder i think( driver side, closest to the back or the motor) spark plug came out and screwed up the threads. so now i have to fix it.  thinking about a helicoil.  has anyone done this without actually removing the cylinder head? any input on this repair would be greatly appreciated.
thanks,

jason

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Re: 3vze spark plug thread repair
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21, 2009, 12:59:44 PM »
they specifically make thread repair taps to do this.... you don't need to remove the head... just read the instructions they come with
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

jaywross [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 21, 2009, 01:03:33 PM »
i know about the repair kits, my question is in regards to actually performing the repair without taking the head off? recommended  or not? or even possible to do without taking the head off.?

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2009, 01:06:12 PM »
i know about the repair kits, my question is in regards to actually performing the repair without taking the head off? recommended  or not? or even possible to do without taking the head off.?

the first thing it says on that page in the link i posted is,

"SPARK PLUG THREAD REPAIR KITS.
These kits are considered "Over the fender" meaning you do not have to remove the head."

~ John F. Kennedy ~

jaywross [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 21, 2009, 02:00:51 PM »
i would appreciate any input from anyone who has fist hand experience with this?!

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 21, 2009, 02:12:46 PM »
I've never done it, but that is going to be a PITA to reach.  Not saying it isn't possible, but that spark plug hole is hard enough to reach just to pull the spark plug out, let alone to do a repair on it. 

As far as being recommended, I'm not sure.  If you don't remove the head, you're going to be dumping tiny metal shavings into the cylinder.  most likely they'll just burn up, they'll be that small, but they may not. 
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 21, 2009, 02:14:51 PM »
there are ways to minimize chunks being spit into the cylinder when tapping..... i tapped some holes on my head and did not get anything inside.... pack it with grease, lots of thing... blow it out with compressed air......

~ John F. Kennedy ~

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 21, 2009, 03:29:54 PM »
there are ways to minimize chunks being spit into the cylinder when tapping..... i tapped some holes on my head and did not get anything inside.... pack it with grease, lots of thing... blow it out with compressed air......

Key word Jimbo.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Feb 21, 2009, 03:36:26 PM »
Key word Jimbo.

minimize or stop... whatever, i didn't get anything into my engien when i was doing my exhuast studs.... i know it's a little bit different, but i also had the engine out of the truck... you brought up a good point about not being able to get to the cylinder, i think if it is his front one though, it might not be too bad, but i am unfamiliar with the toyta 3.slow.... the 22r is easy to get to everything :)

and i have heard very knowledgeable peopel recommend time-serts..... it says right on there site you don't need to take off the head

~ John F. Kennedy ~

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Feb 21, 2009, 03:48:43 PM »
minimize or stop... whatever, i didn't get anything into my engien when i was doing my exhuast studs.... i know it's a little bit different, but i also had the engine out of the truck... you brought up a good point about not being able to get to the cylinder, i think if it is his front one though, it might not be too bad, but i am unfamiliar with the toyta 3.slow.... the 22r is easy to get to everything :)

and i have heard very knowledgeable peopel recommend time-serts..... it says right on there site you don't need to take off the head
Yeah, slightly different.

The front wouldn't be too hard, but If its the one he described (drivers side, near the back) its very difficult to get to.   There is little to no room to access it.  I don't think it's going to be impossible, but its going to be very difficult. 

I tend not to take everything I see on the internet at face value.  Thats based on how their tool works, not necessarily  the access of the spark plug holes. 

-Ronald Reagan

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Feb 21, 2009, 03:56:20 PM »
ok, i thought the number #1 cylinder was up front near the passenger side and the radiator.... i guess it depends on who is looking at it where....

~ John F. Kennedy ~

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Feb 21, 2009, 04:03:40 PM »
ok, i thought the number #1 cylinder was up front near the passenger side and the radiator.... i guess it depends on who is looking at it where....

It is.  I'm just basing it on the fact that he said #1 I think, and then gave a description.  Based on the description, its actually #6

-Ronald Reagan

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Feb 21, 2009, 07:41:48 PM »
Passenger side is 1,3,5 bumper-to-cab, and drivers side is 2,4,6, no other perspective, it should be the #6, unless he has a right side drive truck.

The over the fender kits do work, i fixed a spark plug on my Dad's 22r that way, and it held until the head was replaced.  How permanent it is, I don't know, but it would be worth the money to try.

I would unbolt the t-case from the X-member and tilt the engine forward, to give you a little more room to reach the #6 plug. 

Helpful hint for installing plugs: 
Install the spark plugs using a small section of rubber hose, instead of a socket on an extension.  If the spark plug starts to x-threads the hose will slip on the plug, whereas the socket and extension wont.  Also torque them to 13ft lbs, not hand tight, over tightening them is an easy way to screw up the aluminum threads.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Feb 21, 2009, 07:49:43 PM »

Install the spark plugs using a small section of rubber hose, instead of a socket on an extension.  If the spark plug starts to x-threads the hose will slip on the plug, whereas the socket and extension wont.  Also torque them to 13ft lbs, not hand tight, over tightening them is an easy way to screw up the aluminum threads.

Good info, you forgot one thing, apply anti-seize to the threads on the sparkplug. Dissimilar metals like to corrode.
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Feb 21, 2009, 08:00:57 PM »

:thumbs:  good trick!  Been using it for a while, learned it trying to do spark plugs on my 3.0 the first time :gap:

-Ronald Reagan

jaywross [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Feb 22, 2009, 04:26:24 AM »
thanks guys for all the info, ya it woudl be the #6 plug.!  i called napa and they said they have two inserts, helicoil and
another one the guy said was just the 'regular' one, whatever that means.  the timeserts site says napa will have them, but the guy said he didnt know what it was. i'll have to go there on monday and show him and see if he has it.  i think i'm leaning toward the timesert instead of the helicoil if i can get it.
later!

unclejpl4x4

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #17 on: Feb 22, 2009, 05:47:44 AM »
just looked threw real quick  may have been mentioned   when taping use grease on the taper  and  bring the cly up to the top  so any shavings are right there in reach of a small magnet  then blow out with air hose ( if any) 
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Feb 22, 2009, 06:15:33 AM »
just looked threw real quick  may have been mentioned   when taping use grease on the taper  and  bring the cly up to the top  so any shavings are right there in reach of a small magnet  then blow out with air hose ( if any) 
You have a magic magnet that works on aluminum? :smack:
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

unclejpl4x4

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #19 on: Feb 22, 2009, 06:29:27 AM »
lol  :doh: see thats what happend when you work on motors with steel heads  it's habit,  man i think i need more liqueur in my coffee
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

4RunnerChevy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 1,426
  • Member since Sep '08
  • Santa Cruz Mountains
    • View Profile
    • Santa Cruz Wheelers
« Reply #20 on: Feb 22, 2009, 06:49:36 AM »
I have seen grease packed into the cyl and then the thread repaired.  Before you put the plug back in turn it over and spit the grease out.  You must make sure the cyl is on it way to the top in compression, and not on its way to the bottom.   I personally have never done it, but I have seen it work.

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Feb 22, 2009, 02:35:57 PM »
Good info, you forgot one thing, apply anti-seize to the threads on the sparkplug. Dissimilar metals like to corrode.
True.  It didn't cross my mind to mention it, I figured it was common knowledge to do.  I know it was something I learned to do from my Dad long ago.  Though at the time he told me it was to prevent the plug from rusting to the cast iron head(he built/raced hotrods back in the 50's), when I mentioned that the head was aluminum and aluminum can't rust, he smacked me across the back of the head and said to do it anyways.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod