Author Topic: spider gears  (Read 2239 times)

johnnyrebel2697

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 8
  • Member since Feb '09
    • View Profile
spider gears
« on: Feb 09, 2009, 08:55:27 AM »
I have an 1986 toyota 4runner on 44 inch tsl and i am tired of blowing out spider gears. I am thinking of going to a spool but I am not sure what the weak point will be then help please

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Re: spider gears
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2009, 08:58:15 AM »
too big a tire

time for a d60 swap
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

johnnyrebel2697 [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Feb '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2009, 09:20:14 AM »
Do you think chevy half ton will hold up

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2009, 09:29:14 AM »
time for a d60 swap....

the toyota axle is pretty much a half ton axle, and so is a d44...... you need to upgrade to fullsize heavy duty axles

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

johnnyrebel2697 [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Feb '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2009, 10:47:22 AM »
you dont think there is any toyota locker that will hold up to the 44

Steve_925

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -86
  • Male Posts: 1,876
  • Member since Feb '07
  • F***in catalina wine mixer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 09, 2009, 01:32:33 PM »
no! dana 60 is pretty much your only option. or bigger, 2.5 ton rockwell.
but if you wanna try it a cheap way try welding your spiders together, then it would proble be ring and pinion or axle shafts, or wheel studs.
1973 HILUX build up-------> http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=48133.new#new

UA 342
STEAMFITTERS

johnnyrebel2697 [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Feb '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 09, 2009, 01:34:27 PM »
thanks for the info

93tonkatoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 463
  • Member since Jul '07
  • drive it till it breaks! then break out the tools.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 09, 2009, 10:46:26 PM »
I would ask under what conditions are you chewing the teeth off the spiders? street, trail, mud, or rocks?

From the result, it sounds like you are getting one (or both) wheels spinning, and is being stopped very quickly (possibly wheel hop). Shock forces such as this will wreak havoc on any machinery, and it is not always the "weakest link" that gives.  Your weak link should be your u-joints.

Yes, a spool will keep you from eating spider gears, since there would be none there. If your diff is set back up correctly (backlash, preload - pinion and carrier bearing), you should get good service from the spool and gears. To combat other breakage, upgrade your axleshafts (or shafts, birfs, and trunions for the front) and retube your DS (with thicker tube). The axle housing can be reenforced to help prevent it from bending.

As far as axles and wheel studs, if you fall off a rock (in a flop) and all the truck's weight hits the side of one tire at an angle, yeah, it might bend or break an axleshaft or shear the studs, but that would probably be the cheap things on the list to fix, and it wouldn't be limited to those with 44's.

Just for laughs, call the manufacturer of your rims, and ask what the maximum recommended tire size is (usually 32 or 33"). I'd bet that the people who say you can't run 44's on yota axles have tires on their rims that the manufacturer says are too big. :dunno:
It ain't worth doin' if you don't have to clean up afterwards!

Build it, break it, fix it, repeat until your wallet is empty.

I shall infuse thy Jeep with the Essence of Toyota...and maybe that one won't pee on itself at the first sight of granite. - Duffil

SAVE TELLICO post 491

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 09, 2009, 10:59:40 PM »
i think i have a spider set for sale if you want ;) might have 2 actually

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Loosekannon

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -26
  • Male Posts: 1,301
  • Member since Feb '05
  • SoCal--ROCKBRAWLERS--
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Feb 09, 2009, 11:43:49 PM »
I have an 1986 Toyota 4runner on 44 inch tsl and i am tired of blowing out spider gears. I am thinking of going to a spool but I am not sure what the weak point will be then help please

Right, what kind of wheeling you doing to eat them up? Cause if your not blowing birfs with 44's you must be street driving or something. I think a Detroit would hold up in the back and not cause bad tire ware on the street.

If its not a truck that you wheel the hell out of, I think a 12 bolt would hold fine for the street. Of course narrow it down to get the same track width.

If its a mud track then a spool should do all right, might start breaks R&P's. If your lucky just the U-Joint would break.