Author Topic: Obama & the Big Three  (Read 1760 times)

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,052
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Obama & the Big Three
« on: Jan 26, 2009, 05:40:26 PM »
I noticed today that Obama passed a bill that will force the auto industry to significantly lower emissions.  While I'm not a "tree hugger," I'm not opposed to the idea of better emissions,  BUT could the timing be worse.

Let's do the math...

Big Three are losing tons of money each year.

+

The Government provides a bail out package to help two of the Big Three stay in business.

+

The Government passes a law that creates additional restrictions

=

The Big Three save money by increasing development costs?

:think:
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

TheCookieMonster

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 973
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
Re: Obama & the Big Three
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2009, 05:50:08 PM »
sounds to me like the gov. wants the car companies to get there :pokinit: together. make the big 3 manage their money and actually put that money to use, such as better emissions and what not  :twocents:  :dunno:

boggerunner

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 3,140
  • Member since May '06
  • Philberbuilt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2009, 06:45:45 PM »
they need to restructure with out the money hungry unions.

TIMS89CRAWLER

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 35
  • Male Posts: 1,968
  • Member since Oct '07
  • BORN TO WHEEL, FORCED TO WORK...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2009, 06:48:55 PM »
exactly right they have needed to do that for years and now obama is gonna make :pokinit: happen FINALLY..... the big 3 have been slackin on fuel economy / emmisions and just flat building junk for too damn long its about time someone MAKES them get their :pokinit: together!!!
Having a 12 second Honda is just like coming out of the closet; You're going to surprise a bunch of people, but in the end you're still gay.

www.choptechfab.com
www.myspace.com/choptechfab

1989 x-cab truck, 96 2rz swap, MC07-R10 duals w/flat belly, doved front, bobbed bed, all pro 5" springs F&R, lincoln locked F&R, 38.5" sx's and still at it!
CHECK THE BUILD
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39494.0

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2009, 06:50:32 PM »
I'm sure most Toyotas and Hondas (IMPORTS into our country, well some.) meet the emissions standards....:pokinit: they have been for over 10 years....

why shouldnt our own country's autos live up to what we import?
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2009, 07:03:46 PM »
The big three meet the same emission and fuel standards as everyone else. Their two main problems are: 1. they negotiated with the slacker unions, letting them get out of hand. 2. the feds get in their way.

I will continue to state...the most powerful agent for change isn't the feds, it's peer pressure. When, or more accurately if we want teeny weeny cars...we will get them and because the market place (us) is demanding it...the cast per unit will be next to nothing. The cost of compliance to a law or regulation is much higher than the cost of providing the market it's choice.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)