Author Topic: Looking at a Gen III Runner. Anything specific to watch for?  (Read 1584 times)

Tokarev

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
Hello!

I've found what looks to be a solid 1997 4-Runner and am seriously thinking about buying it.  The overall condition of the vehicle is nice and the owner claims to have maintained the vehicle regularly, etc.

So, other than giving it a good once-over and a test drive, is there anything specific to watch out for?  I know the 3.4 engine is reported to be much better in pretty much all departments over the older 3.0.  But is there anything that is probematic with these rigs?

TIA!

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
But is there anything that is probematic with these rigs?
Only problems I have had so far is the traction control sensor gets all freaky on right hand turns over 70mph, and the starter silonoid went out. Oh, and a head light every 6 months.

whokrz

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 246
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
    • gentryoffroad.com
I had a 1997 4runner I put 200,000 miles on it and only had to replace a fuel injector and a water pump. The only thing I did not like about it was the front anti-lock breaks. They seem to work as one unit. Basically if one tire is on gravel, the other is on pavement and you hit the brakes the one tire slips on the gravel. This causes the anti-lock brakes to releases both tires and you end up with no front brakes. In 4wd it doesn't seem to do it though just in 2wd. I almost wrecked the first time it happened.
1990 4runner, 22re, R151, 4.7, 5.29s, E-locker front, Lock-Rite rear, 37" MTRs, 51" rears all around
Trail Reviews http://www.gentryoffroad.com
Toyota Factory Service Manuals http://ncttora.com/fsm/index.html

Darrin530

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 48
  • Member since May '07
  • fish on
    • View Profile
I would check the front end. When I was working at les schwab 3rd gen t4rs and 96-04 tacos would come in and probably half the time the rack bushings or inner tie rods were bad. only a 300-500 dollar fix but still a bummer. jack up underneath the lower control arm and shake the tire side to side to detect any movement. if there is side to side movement the inner tie rods or rack bucshings are bad. this happened to me before i worked there when i took it in for an alignment.
3RD Gen 4runner 5VZ-FE R150f

hudlenutz

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 22
  • Male Posts: 220
  • Member since Apr '05
    • View Profile
    • My Page
3.4 is supposed to get a water pump and timing belt circa 70-100k.  Make sure it has a locker?