Author Topic: Notching roll pan to clearance marlin rear bumper  (Read 5414 times)

spc mike

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 428
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
Notching roll pan to clearance marlin rear bumper
« on: Jan 25, 2009, 10:04:17 PM »
What is the best way to do it without burning the paint?? The only reason i havnt put it on was becuase i havnt had the time to think of the best way to notch it withount destroying the surrounding painted area....soo any help is appreciated! :willynilly:

88_Pathy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 65
  • Male Posts: 1,251
  • Member since Oct '06
  • Raised suspension
    • View Profile
Mask it off with some tape, 3 thick. Use a 4in blade grinder and do it.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
Mask it off with some tape, 3 thick. Use a 4in blade grinder and do it.
SLOOOOWLY...to quick and of course it will start melting the tape and paint underneath
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

*** YELLER ***

• BIGMIKE SAID I WAS A CLOWN SO .... GUESS THATS THAT
  • Turtle Points: 314
  • Male Posts: 4,686
  • Member since Oct '05
  • USMC NO BETTER FRIEND NO WORSE ENEMY
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
jig saw with a metal blade  :dunno:
MY ONLY REGRET IS THAT I HAVE NOTHING USEFUL TO OFFER THIS FORUM  :moon:
except BACON

ninja turtle

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 38
  • Male Posts: 1,072
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
:hahaha: i used a sawzall

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
how about one of them small hacksaws or a Dremel tool
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

spc mike [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
thanks for the input...i think iam going to use the combo of a small hack saw and a dremel with the help of some tape :driving:

88_Pathy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Oct '06
  • Raised suspension
    • View Profile
Dremel blades blow up to easy. Man what color is you truck? Just get a can of spray paint, sand, mask and spray it if it melts. And if you don't wanna do that get that edging stuff that will push over the lip to hide it.

spc mike [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
one more question.....how far up are you guys notching from the very bottom of the roll pan. Its kind of hard to tell since the bumper wont go into place untill i have the notches already cut. I just dont want to cut any more up than i have too, so it all looks professional.

...And my truck is white so it will show burning very easy but i do have touch up paint. Iam very anal :nope: about how i do stuff because my truck is a VERY nice daily driver with good paint on it.

SolidAxle

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 6
  • Male Posts: 365
  • Member since Oct '05
  • My truck is 5 years older than me
    • View Profile
I havn't done this yet because my truck is in storage, But as far as how high to cut... I would only cut two vertical lines and then fold that piece under, so you just cut a little, fold it. If its not enough cut a little more, fold it under etc. I also made a carboard template of the bracket. If you did that you could mark it all out before hand. For example put the cardboard bracket on the frame, and at the roll pan just FOLD the cardbord (so you can see where the braket will be)and mark how high it is on the inside of the roll pan and than cut to there.   :biggthumpup:

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
I havn't done this yet because my truck is in storage, But as far as how high to cut... I would only cut two vertical lines and then fold that piece under, so you just cut a little, fold it. If its not enough cut a little more, fold it under etc. I also made a carboard template of the bracket. If you did that you could mark it all out before hand. For example put the cardboard bracket on the frame, and at the roll pan just FOLD the cardbord (so you can see where the braket will be)and mark how high it is on the inside of the roll pan and than cut to there.   :biggthumpup:

Great Idea!

and tape the surrounding edges where it will be cut and use a side grinder with a cutting disc man.
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

spc mike [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
i already cut it with a cut-off wheel. i cut i little too much but no biggie it looks ok. Thanks for the help

*** YELLER ***

• BIGMIKE SAID I WAS A CLOWN SO .... GUESS THATS THAT
  • Turtle Points: 314
  • Male Posts: 4,686
  • Member since Oct '05
  • USMC NO BETTER FRIEND NO WORSE ENEMY
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
                                  :attention: :attention: :attention: :attention: :attention: :attention: :attention: :attention: :attention: :attention:

Fine I'll do it

:worthless:     :worthless:    :worthless:     :worthless:     :worthless:     :worthless:     :worthless:     :worthless:

:usa: :beerwhack:
MY ONLY REGRET IS THAT I HAVE NOTHING USEFUL TO OFFER THIS FORUM  :moon:
except BACON

SolidAxle

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
    • View Profile
I'll post pics in the spring when i do it for people to veiw in the future. Right now the bumper is in my basement and my truck is in storage. I got jipped tho lol, I only got 1 speed hole per side on the plate beside the tailgate that joins the lower tube to the upper corner guard tube
wtf :hammerhead: I going to have to drill me the other 2.

snowplow

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 257
  • Member since Aug '06
  • smoke tires not drugs
    • View Profile

That is exactly what I did. If your rig is really nice you could have a paintshop mix you a bomb can to touch it up with real paint

SolidAxle

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
    • View Profile
That is exactly what I did. If your rig is really nice you could have a paintshop mix you a bomb can to touch it up with real paint
LOL yeah i have a spray can from when I cleaned up my quarters, should work well.

SolidAxle

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
    • View Profile
Alright, kinda bringing this one back from the dead but I installed my marlin bumper last week and thought i would find this and update how i did mine. first I held up the bumper semi in place with the bracket touching the roll pan where it needed to be notched. then i taped off the slot i wanted to make. the hieght was just a rough guess, 1 masking tape width down from the body line ( I eventually notched it a bit higher).

then i simply took my grinder with a cut off wheel and cut up along each line untill i got to the masking tape. I folded the piece under and up. while fitting it i noticed i needed a bit more room for the gussets. so i mad another little notch beside it. i did this in the same fasion. because its shorter I made a little nick in it with my grinder horizontally where i needed to fold it to make it easier.

Now worry about your licence plate mounting position.

88_Pathy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Oct '06
  • Raised suspension
    • View Profile
Bend it up, I did and it is very visible now.

SolidAxle

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
    • View Profile
I'll see how long I last the way it is lol. I moved it up it that spot as far as i could. i'll probly bend it out if the popo gives me any trouble.

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
put it up on your tailgate off to the side :thumbs:
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13