Author Topic: For those running an R series trans on a 3RZ swap  (Read 3258 times)

wslytoy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 36
  • Male Posts: 308
  • Member since Aug '02
    • View Profile
For those running an R series trans on a 3RZ swap
« on: Jan 13, 2009, 05:23:43 AM »
what clutch fork are you using? I'm using an R150 from a 3.0 V6(circa 91, I believe), w/ the same clutch fork. I'm having some issues getting my slave cylinder to line up w/ the dimple in the clutch fork. I'm about to pull the transmission(AGAIN, this will be the 3rd time) to make sure it's getting seated on the pivot ball and check my clearances on my throw out bearing. From what I could tell by pulling the rubber boot back, it appears the fork is seated on the pivot ball. The problem is, before I pulled the trans last time(to move my engines mounts further back) the slave cylinder lined up perfectly. However, the throwout bearing was not all the way snug in the "U" of the clutch fork. Where am I going wrong? Thanks, Wesley

87pickup

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 33
  • Male Posts: 719
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
I went to my toyota dealership and used Lilbuddys vin# to order the correct shift fork. Was only like $36 Went together pretty easy.

wslytoy [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '02
    • View Profile
I went to my toyota dealership and used Lilbuddys vin# to order the correct shift fork. Was only like $36 Went together pretty easy.

So what fork are you using? R151 or R150?

87pickup

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
Whatever is stock  behind a 2002 5spd tacoma with a 3rz. I thought they were w59's

wslytoy [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '02
    • View Profile
Whatever is stock  behind a 2002 5spd tacoma with a 3rz. I thought they were w59's

So you're running an R151 w/ a Marlin bellhousing and a W59 clutch fork? What throw out bearing are you running?

87pickup

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
I had a topic a few weeks back asking all these questions because i was confused what from my truck i use and what from the donor 3rz truck i would use. And i was told i needed
w59 slave cylinder
w59 clutch fork
And complete 3rz clutch kit including throw out bearing which im guessing is also for a w59.

So yes i am running a 2002 3rz with w59 clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, slave cylinder, clutch fork and throw out bearing with a marlin r151f to 3rz bellhousing.

wslytoy [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '02
    • View Profile
I had a topic a few weeks back asking all these questions because i was confused what from my truck i use and what from the donor 3rz truck i would use. And i was told i needed
w59 slave cylinder
w59 clutch fork
And complete 3rz clutch kit including throw out bearing which im guessing is also for a w59.

So yes i am running a 2002 3rz with w59 clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, slave cylinder, clutch fork and throw out bearing with a marlin r151f to 3rz bellhousing.

Interesting... others that I've known to do this swap w/ an R series trans used a R series clutch fork... I'm using a 3RZ/W59 clutch kit w/ an R150 throwout bearing b/c that's what BigMike said he's using(somewhere, can't remember if it was on here or on pirate???).

87pickup

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
Well i asked the guys when i called what i needed and i hope i wasnt told the wrong information because i really dont want to pull my motor or tranny again. I thought big mike is running a w56 tranny though?

87pickup

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
Here is the topic i started where i was told i needed a 3rz clutch fork.
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=53049.0;highlight=3rz

wslytoy [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '02
    • View Profile
Here is the topic i started where i was told i needed a 3rz clutch fork.
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=53049.0;highlight=3rz

Pulled the trans back a little tonight and got the throwout bearing set up right!