0 (0%)
Aftermarket following
1 (3%)
Price
3 (9.1%)
All of the above
21 (63.6%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Author Topic: What made you choose?  (Read 6026 times)

Dark Chaos

• Marlin Crawler
  • I used to Crawl. I still do, but I used to, too.
What made you choose?
« on: Aug 28, 2004, 08:50:11 PM »
If there is a reason why you have chosen TOYOTA's 4x4s over the other 4x4's and I did not list the reason list it hear :yupyup:

Marketing

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -30
  • Male Posts: 1,639
  • Member since Aug '03
    • View Profile
Re: What made you choose?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 28, 2004, 11:13:58 PM »
Way back when 20 years ago I owned a 1963 FJ40. It was fun but very old and heavy and the parts cost major bucks. I sold it and bought a Samurai. I set up the samurai with a lift, lockers, gears and bumpers and started rock crawling. It was light and cheap and could climb and wheel as well as any jeep on the trail. One day I friend and I went out wheeling in the back hills of Santa Barbara and going up steep climbs, his stock Toyota Pickup would out climb my setup Samurai. I was stunned. I also owned at the time a totally stock 1987 4Runner. I went back with my 4Runner and it was able to climb the same section my Samurai failed. I went home and did a lot of thinking. Later that year I sold the Samurai and the 4Runner (the 4Runner had almost 300K miles on it). After a few years I figured out the reason for the better climb was the wheel base. By this point Marlin Crawler was in business and I knew it was time to build a new rock crawler using a Toyota with one of those cool new crawlers. I bought the 93 4Runner and Project Rock Runner was born.

Now, it's time for another project: Wild Hare!

Skinny_Pedal

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 89
  • Male Posts: 2,833
  • Member since Apr '04
  • work so I can support my lifestyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #2 on: Aug 28, 2004, 11:17:41 PM »
my dad always drove toyotas. he had about 6 of them by the time i had turned 16. so it was just in my blood. i love them and think there unique in there own way, and i love converting people to them
Im an OG

dirtbag

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 841
  • Male Posts: 1,303
  • Member since Jun '04
  • flexes like dried doo-doo
    • View Profile
    • I am hot, huh?
« Reply #3 on: Aug 28, 2004, 11:24:50 PM »
price:

I have owned Jeeps for about 5-6 years ( Wagoneers ), my mom owned a 77 CJ-5, blah blah blah, now owns a 95 Wrangler, blah blah blah, my Gpa owns a 79 CJ-5, same as the 77, my mom's BF owns a 67 CJ-5, blah blah blah & a 83? CJ-7 w/ 35's blah blah blah.

After my Wag decided to keel over on me again ( tranny problems all the time ), I figured out " Hey, I don't make as much as I used to, and Jeep parts are EXPENSIVE. With all of the money that I have spent on this Jeep to just keep it running, I probably could have built 3 bad-ass Toyotas. So, that's why I'm here today.

FatAzzRunner

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -191
  • Male Posts: 448
  • Member since Jul '02
  • Kansas, Flexin on cowpatties
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 29, 2004, 03:56:51 AM »
Everyone has a Jeep and I wanted something different.

They are (in my mind) the best "out of the box" offroad vehicle in the price range I wanted to spend and are tough.

J-Junk
E-Each &
E-Every
P-Part

Just didnt want to deal with the Heep headaches so I went with a Runner.  I can fit my whole family in it and it climbs and does so much better than most of the Jeeps on the trails.

85 Runner, 5" All-Pro Extreme Lift, Complete Marlin T-Case with new TS 4.7 gears, Super Birfields(Longfields), 5:29's, Detroited front, Spooled rear, 36" TSL's, Bikini top.

Yes, Livin in Kansas sucks azz!!

kyle_22r

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 530
  • Male Posts: 1,233
  • Member since Dec '03
  • yellow beast
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 29, 2004, 10:45:59 AM »
i bought my truck for several reasons.  i think the main ones were the availability of a GOOD straight axle under the front, amount of aftermarket parts out there(this was before i figured out i could make stuff if it wasn't available :yupyup: ), the reliabilty of the engines, and lastly the fact that i love how 1st and 2nd gen toy 4x4s look

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 29, 2004, 10:56:07 AM »
I had wanted a toyota ever since i was 14 years old.  My firends older brother (Scott Runnels) had a bad azz toyota and that got me started into the rockcrawling sport.  He now has gone onto other things because he wants to go fast i guess, but the wa the one that got me into toyotas.

GrimReaper

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 58
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Aug 29, 2004, 12:10:13 PM »
If it was Price I would have stayed the the GM stuff I been running for the last 6 years. GM is the king oof cheap and anything they make is just about a bolt in. Putting 1 ton running gears is an afternoon job on a K5 and no welding needed. I want a Big block.....bolts in. I want Stick shift....hard to beat a SM456 with a 6.5 granny. Not much tougher then a NP205. All bolts in.

My issue is I no longer have trails very close. The closest trail that is currently open is 2 hours. While It cool to drive your rig to the trail head if you ball one up or really blow something big you got to get it home. I'm ready to start trailering my Trail rig. My K5 in winter trim (hard top) full trail gear and me is 6,640 lb wiht 3/4 of a tank of gas and at best it gets 9mpg. I have ot have a 10k trailer so by the time I'm ready to trave that's 9K of truck and trailer and My Suburban just isn't happy with it.

I can go with a 7K trailer now and with truck on trailer I'm 5600 lb or so of truck and trailer and the Burb is getting 10.5 pulling with A/C. That is a HUGE part of my reason for going Toyota. Size of the vihicle was another. The 4Runner still has room for the Wfe and two kids but its 20 inches more narrow at the body. Now I could have built a buggy or put a different body on the K5 to get both weight and size down but I also want to get down a vehcile or two. Park the gas hog 454 burb except for when we pull the travel trailer or wen need the room and grunt. Let my wife drive the Honda and I'll drive the 4Runner as a DD.

This is not my first Toyota. I had a Supra before and I wrenched my sister Corolla. I'm use to the way Toyota Does things. My German car back ground also helps. THe FI is very simular to Bosch and That's where I started with VW's and Porsche's my Family had when I was growing up. The alternative was stuff like s10 blazer, Trooper or Pathfinder. The aftermarket is so much better for Toyota.
So while most of the above was factors the most important thing was not listed for me.

SWAMPER

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 790
  • Male Posts: 3,599
  • Member since May '04
  • Semper Fi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Aug 29, 2004, 12:59:51 PM »
I dint have to choose....My truck was given to me by my dad....and back when I got it I was really into Camaros, at first I wanted to sell it and buy a Maro...but then I took it "offroadiing" (some dry fields :headshake: ) and I liked the fact that I could go where cars coulnt....so I stuck with it and Ive been learing that Yota is the bomb....I still like Maros but I would only get one if I could also have a Yota Trail rig  :yupyup:
1985 Toyota Pick/Up longbed...bobbed 15",  lifted 5", 36's.....http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=36992.0

WHITE_TRASH

• Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Aug 29, 2004, 01:41:35 PM »
Remember the first back to the future movie?  Yep thats why I bought my 84, I loved the looks of that body style.  My brothers best friend when he was in hs, had a 82 longbox on 35's, I thought that truckwas unstoppable and I wanted a yota.  Then back to the future came out and I settled on that body style.  I grew up around street rods and drag racing so I was naturally expected to get a Chevelle or a Camaro like the rest of the family, but I did the best of both worlds.  I built a yota with a sbc and the rest is history.
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

lal357

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -22
  • Member since Nov '03
  • are we there yet are we there yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Aug 29, 2004, 02:55:53 PM »
i also have 2 ford 4x4's but my 80 can go where they cant i've tried to kill it but it keeps on going  easier /cheaper to upgrade compared to a jeep price a altas for a jeep then price duals for your yota the 4cyl run for ever it seams xfer case damn near bullet proof
and if thats not enough then

its becuase i look good in it
80yota 22r 32/36 weber,header,custom bed,4.88 spooled rear Aussie front ,63" chevies,cage,yada,yada

SWAMPER

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 790
  • Male Posts: 3,599
  • Member since May '04
  • Semper Fi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Aug 29, 2004, 08:17:25 PM »

its becuase i look good in it

:slap:
1985 Toyota Pick/Up longbed...bobbed 15",  lifted 5", 36's.....http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=36992.0

mudguts

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1114
  • Member since Mar '04
  • Meat of the Gods
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Aug 29, 2004, 08:58:54 PM »
Went with all of the above, but the main reason is my first wheelin trip ever was to Coyote Lake in 1978. I rode in the back of my uncles 1975 FJ40 with a Chevy 305 and basicly stock running gear perched on some oddball tires that were hip at that time. We were the only Toy and were surrounded by 5 or 6 Jeeps. At Red Lake, some of the guys were complaining about how hard the trail was and my uncle told them that was nothing. When we got to the rock pile, half the guys turned around and by the time we got to Coyote, there was only 1 jeep with us. After that trip, the name Toyota was forever seared in my brain.
I am now on my 5th one.
:nerv:                                                                                               :turtle: I love T.I.T.S. :turtle:

tbam

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Feb '04
  • Sarcastic Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Aug 29, 2004, 09:12:35 PM »
I like the body style and they are some going mf's

To The Floor

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 220
  • Male Posts: 393
  • Member since Jul '04
  • THE KRAK
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Aug 29, 2004, 10:17:58 PM »
My dad bought a 2WD brand new in '92 as a work truck, and then put it our of comission it like '98 and saved it for me to drive in 2002...So that was my first truck then I started learning a ton about them and wanted a solid axle 4x and ended up with my '81.  Oh and 86runner had an auto 22RE pickup, then had tons of problems and sold it and was exploring his options.  he wanted civics, bugs, all kinds a junk, thank yours truly for steering him back into what he had before...ending up with an 86runner. not tryin' to be cocky, just givin 86 a hard time!
in the projects nooga, anything goes

Skinny_Pedal

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 89
  • Male Posts: 2,833
  • Member since Apr '04
  • work so I can support my lifestyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #15 on: Aug 29, 2004, 10:21:55 PM »
dont forget gti :thumbs:. also remeber when i was looking at cars none of my friends had a 4x4 yet!
Im an OG

dirtyskivies

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 39
  • Member since Apr '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Aug 30, 2004, 11:54:09 AM »
i couldnt fit enough camping gear and junk in a jeep so i needed a pickup, toyotas were small like jeeps and got decent fuel mileage...  jeeps are really expensive to build properly, you can build a serious trail toy with quality parts for the price of a jeep thatll barely get you down a fireroad without bustin up the steering or the dana 30/35 stuff.......a lot of our parts/pieces can be had at picknpull for relatively cheap, no cj/yj/tj's at picknpull around here...

full size trucks are too heavy and too big for most of the trails around here(gas mileage sucks and gas is still~$2/gallon)

i like samis with toyota drivetrains but the sami has no room like a jeep, even worse...

landrovers are too damn expensive and parts certainly arent cheap...

a scout or scout 2 would be nice but the axles need to be replaced and gas mileage certainly isnt what a toyotas is

early broncos are second only to toyotas, they look great and can wheel well.  lotta money to get them to perform as well as a plan ole toyota truck/4runner though...
« Last Edit: Aug 30, 2004, 05:04:05 PM by dirtyskivies »
2002 trd v6 tacoma
1986 4runner type thing
1998 ktm supermoto

reklund5

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 286
  • Male Posts: 1,263
  • Member since Nov '03
  • I love my Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Aug 30, 2004, 03:04:09 PM »
I have to agree with WT.  I had a boner for a Toyota 4x4 ever since seeing Back to the Future when I was 6.  When my uncle decided to sell his 84 that he bought new, I jumped at the chance to buy it.  It was in MINT condition with only 112,000 miles on it when I bought it in 98.  Heres the way it looked when I bought it:

'84 Hilux, locked, dual-cased, winched, EFI converted, 37" tired, half-doored (in the summer...)
'87 Supra, 400 HP.  smooth as glass at 130 'cause my tires are NEW!...
'92 F250 Diesel, tow rig, ATS Turbo, leveling kit, killer stereo

reklund5

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 286
  • Male Posts: 1,263
  • Member since Nov '03
  • I love my Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Aug 30, 2004, 03:05:03 PM »
And here it is last week.  My uncle says I totally ruined a perfecty good truck... :)
'84 Hilux, locked, dual-cased, winched, EFI converted, 37" tired, half-doored (in the summer...)
'87 Supra, 400 HP.  smooth as glass at 130 'cause my tires are NEW!...
'92 F250 Diesel, tow rig, ATS Turbo, leveling kit, killer stereo

Tool Guy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -8
  • Male Posts: 33
  • Member since Jul '04
  • $800 84 Toyota
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Aug 30, 2004, 03:14:55 PM »
Main reasons why I bought my Toyota:
1- Paid $800 for it
2- Large availability of aftermarket parts
3- OEM parts are dirt cheap
4- over 249k miles on it still running strong
5- Solid axle front end
6- My freind drives a Jeep
7- Jeep parts, OEM and Aftermarket are over priced due to Jeep name.

84 Toyota- Cost $800, BS 3" Rancho Lift, Worn out RS5000s, 32" A/T's, Burned up Radio, New Plugs, and Wires

86 Chevy- Cost $500, Dead Battery, Out of Registration, No Inspection, a few holes in the bed

03 F150- Cost I still cry about, K&N FIPK, Dumped Flowmaster, Pioneer Head Unit and AMP, 4 ways and 10" Sub
03 F150- Company Truck, Stupid useless tonneau cover, stupid sticker telling everyone who I work for, wasted space in my driveway

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 759
  • Male Posts: 13,855
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #20 on: Sep 03, 2004, 02:11:37 PM »
I have been around the block when it comes to 4x4's, I started with a Yota, and now have returned to them after the Great Learning Experience. :slap: :hahaha:

Here's my rundown:

84 Toyota standard cab  :biggthumpup:
86 Toyota 4Runner (Turbo)  :thumbs:
86 Toyota Extracab  8)
85 Toyota standard cab :beerchug:
94 Suzuki Samurai :puke:  :slap:
86 Suzuki Samuari :crazy: :hammer:
48 Willys :ladys-man: :_oops:
89 Dodge Ramcharger :idea: :dunno:
81 Toyota Longbed :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:  :love:

Those sami's drive me nuts, it seems every time we go out someone breaks one, or rolls so I dumped 'em, the Willys is cool and I'm keepin' it even though it is a money pit, the Ramcharger was cool but way too big for most trails I like, but every Yota I've owned has been a dependable rig with very little required to make them trail worthy. Everyone says Sami's are cheap to set up and to some degree this is true except the up keep becomes a money pit with snaped axles busted tcases, broken driveshafts, stupid rag joints disapearing all the time and to bring it to the level that a Yota starts at is a big $ deal. 
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 759
  • Male Posts: 13,855
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #21 on: Sep 03, 2004, 02:18:38 PM »
And here it is last week.  My uncle says I totally ruined a perfecty good truck... :)

That would be only 1 man's opinion :moon: that is one nice looking rig there. :thumbs:
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

The Joker

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 13
  • Male Posts: 20
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sep 03, 2004, 02:56:25 PM »
i couldnt fit enough camping gear and junk in a jeep so i needed a pickup, toyotas were small like jeeps and got decent fuel mileage...  jeeps are really expensive to build properly, you can build a serious trail toy with quality parts for the price of a jeep thatll barely get you down a fireroad without bustin up the steering or the dana 30/35 stuff.......a lot of our parts/pieces can be had at picknpull for relatively cheap, no cj/yj/tj's at picknpull around here...

full size trucks are too heavy and too big for most of the trails around here(gas mileage sucks and gas is still~$2/gallon)

i like samis with toyota drivetrains but the sami has no room like a jeep, even worse...

landrovers are too damn expensive and parts certainly arent cheap...

a scout or scout 2 would be nice but the axles need to be replaced and gas mileage certainly isnt what a toyotas is

early broncos are second only to toyotas, they look great and can wheel well.  lotta money to get them to perform as well as a plan ole toyota truck/4runner though...

Same but leave out all the jeep stuff.  :driving:

Wraith

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -37
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sep 03, 2004, 07:19:42 PM »
What made me choose? My mom and dad GAVE me a brand new 91 4x toy p/u when I turned 16 :yupyup: now I'm almost 30  :smack: and I still drive it almost every day, runs great and it's nice to have a heater out deer and quail hunting when it's raining and cold, unlike my dads 47 willys (which is awesome by the way). Now I have an 85 4runner on 37's  :love: for crawling and it's fantastic!!! Toyota's RULE!!!!!
"Why yes I am an extremist, thank you for noticing" Ted Nugent
"There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" Einstein

donkeykong

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -159
  • Member since Jun '03
  • My truck and a nice trail...that's all I need
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sep 03, 2004, 10:16:57 PM »
Some of my ealiest and best memories are in my dads 82 yota...he bought it the year I was born...82.  He had it till I was 14 and now owns asweet trail rig.  And I have always wanted one and now I have one