Author Topic: Does anyone make this?  (Read 5379 times)

howdy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Oct '03
  • I Love My Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
Does anyone make this?
« on: Nov 03, 2008, 10:29:54 AM »
I am looking for a tube or plate bumper for my 2nd generation 4runner that does not have the side wings. I have a brand new MC bumper with the side wings, but in order to run it I have to take off my stock swing out tire carrier. That was cool at first, but now I am tired of the tire siting in the rear cargo area taking up space and I want to get it back outside. With snow wheeling coming up I am going to need that room for gear and stuff since the wife and 2 kids will be going along.

I thought MC used to make a tube bumper without the side wings or maybe I am thinking of someone else. I am about to just cut off the side wings, but if I can find a bumper that will work I would rather buy that rather than butcher a new MC bumper that I could cut someone a deal on that is looking for that style. Any suggestions on where I could find a simple tube bumper with clevis attachments and or a built in receiver. I am not looking for a double tube smittybilt type.  :greengrin:

Homefries

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 241
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone make this?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 03, 2008, 11:17:06 AM »
How about fabbin' up a rear tire carrier using your MC bumper?  :dunno:  You can use the tire carrier hinge from Rockstomper.com and then do a couple of searches on some other boards for ideas.   :twocents: 

howdy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 03, 2008, 11:46:26 AM »
How about fabbin' up a rear tire carrier using your MC bumper?  :dunno:  You can use the tire carrier hinge from Rockstomper.com and then do a couple of searches on some other boards for ideas.   :twocents: 

I have thought of that, but for this ill fitting bumper I wouldn't throw another $200 of time and money into it. I was hoping to find an easy swap from one bumper to another and using my existing tire carrier or I will just fire up the plasma cutter or buy a $5 sawsall blade and go to town on this bumper. I appreciate your response , but the way this bumper looks and fits it just wouldn't be worth the time and expense to add the swing out carrier to it.

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 03, 2008, 11:48:41 AM »
get a double tube smitty built.... there are a lot of places that have bumpers that dont extend up into the body area
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

howdy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 03, 2008, 12:38:27 PM »
there are a lot of places that have bumpers that dont extend up into the body area

Maybe you could tell me a few of them. I have only checked MC, All Pro, Daves, Inchworm, Front Range, TG, Sky, Downey.  Thanks

Its amazing to me that no Toyota vendors sell a bumper/swing out tire carrier combo for all the 1st and 2nd generation 4runners you see out there. There is a killing to be made if someone produced one. Look at all the Early Broncos out there and all the choices they have for rear bumpers with swing out tire carriers in tube or plate bumpers. There has to be 4 or 5 different styles from the different EB vendors. And the number of EB's you see on the road pale in comparison to all the Toyotas you see.

Dingman.

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1125
  • Male Posts: 3,448
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 03, 2008, 12:51:06 PM »
Im running into the same problem.  I want a marlin rear bumper, but i also want to keep my swingout.

So for now, the stock bumper is taking a beating from the rocks!    :haha:

johneymav

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Male Posts: 5
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 14, 2008, 08:09:27 PM »
check out badland bumpers out of ravensdale wa, they build high qulity swing out rear bumpers even with a rear winch mount too if you want badlandbumpers.com
lockers gears and beers, friends dont let friends wheel without 'em

Volcom

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 269
  • Male Posts: 2,418
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Colorado Rocks!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rockfrogs.org
« Reply #7 on: Nov 19, 2008, 01:35:08 PM »
http://www.yotatech.com/f88/modified-marlin-crawler-rear-bumper-swing-out-tire-carrier-156470/

Probably the cleanest way I've seen somebody run a swingout off of a Marlin bumper.  I plan on bending up some tube to build something similar.  I plan on beefing up the area around the hinge (adding some kind of support from the corner to the frame).

84 4Runner
Swapped EFI and a rebuilt 22RE
Marlin Dual Ultimate crawler
Marlin high steer
TG springs
5.29's, Aussie locked front and rear
39.5" Iroks on 15x10 2.5" backspaced wheels
109" wheelbase
Addicted Off Road 8 point cage
Addicted Off Road front bumper

Addicted Off Road

Colorado Marlin members, check out the Colorado section!!!

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 59
  • Male Posts: 2,470
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #8 on: Nov 19, 2008, 09:46:07 PM »
that doesnt look like it will work because i think it will interfere with the tailgate when you try to put it down... :dunno:
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS

Volcom

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Colorado Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Nov 20, 2008, 07:17:48 AM »
that doesnt look like it will work because i think it will interfere with the tailgate when you try to put it down... :dunno:

No tailgate on it, it's a treker.  You would probably have to redesign it for a tailgate.  Just throwing out some ideas.
84 4Runner
Marlin high steer
TG springs
109" wheelbase

Addicted Off Road

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 59
  • Male Posts: 2,470
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #10 on: Nov 20, 2008, 07:50:27 PM »
No tailgate on it, it's a treker.  You would probably have to redesign it for a tailgate.  Just throwing out some ideas.
yea i meant if it were on a runner. but yea i understand, wasnt thinkin last night. :doh: carryon :usa:
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS

Volcom

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Colorado Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Nov 20, 2008, 10:25:21 PM »
yea i meant if it were on a runner. but yea i understand, wasnt thinkin last night. :doh: carryon :usa:

I'm glad you actually brought it up.  I'd hate to see somebody cut up their Marlin bumper, build something just like this and not be able to open their tailgate :)

I'd end up putting the hinge in front of the passenger side taillight.
84 4Runner
Marlin high steer
TG springs
109" wheelbase

Addicted Off Road