Author Topic: socket size for the front hub assembly lock nut  (Read 2116 times)

chrisz01

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
socket size for the front hub assembly lock nut
« on: Oct 30, 2008, 03:06:53 PM »
I am trying to buy a lock nut socket for the front hub assembly of my 85 straight front axle truck. I am getting all kinds of different sizes from different shops. Toyota said it was a 2 2/23" but I am almost sure its metric. Some say a 54mm any body know for sure? I would like to move on with the project.

chrisz01

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
its 54mm
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

chrisz01 [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
Thanks,

chrisz01

Toymin8r

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 929
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
You need to get a socket specially made for hub nuts.  A standard craftsman type socket has a bit of a taper before the threads start and the hub nut isn't thick enough to let it bite.

Marlin sells one here.  Its towards the bottom of the page.

http://www.marlincrawler.com/htm/axles.htm

YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE
AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU HAVE AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.

BeccaLoo24 – i can toss grown men.... so dont doubt me

chrisz01 [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
Thanks for the reply. If I would have known Marlin had the socket I would have ordered it through them, but I already ordered it through some one else. When I get closer to the project of turning the rear end into a full floater (for flat towing) I will order all the other stuff; bearings, tools, seals, etc. from Marlin crawler. There price on the 54mm socket is also lower then any body I have priced it through too. thanks for the help I am sure I will have more questions in the future.

Chrisz01

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
You need to get a socket specially made for hub nuts.  A standard craftsman type socket has a bit of a taper before the threads start and the hub nut isn't thick enough to let it bite.

Thats funny, I have been using a Craftsman 2 1/8 socket for over 12 years and have never had that problem. I also had one of those stamped steel ones that I loaned to someone who tried to get the nut off a bent spindle, all it did was spread it open. I had to put it in the lathe and cut it down so it would grip the nut again.
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

dirtchicken

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -44
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
Thats funny, I have been using a Craftsman 2 1/8 socket for over 12 years and have never had that problem. I also had one of those stamped steel ones that I loaned to someone who tried to get the nut off a bent spindle, all it did was spread it open. I had to put it in the lathe and cut it down so it would grip the nut again.

X2. I have the same socket in my tool box.

RynothealbinO

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -15
  • Male Posts: 141
  • Member since Aug '06
  • 36's on no lift!
    • View Profile
When I did mine I Marlin was out of them and the only other ones I could find were impact sockets, so I just used a chisel (or a a brass bar - can't remember) to loosen and tighten my spindle nut.  It worked just fine and was definetely cheeper...although I should really get the proper socket at some point.
Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding, in all your ways acknowledge him and he will make your paths straight.  Proverbs 3:5-6  Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love and in purity.  1 Timothy 4:12

yota pu/runner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 208
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
yeah same here when i did mine marlin was out also but i bought a imbact socket at sears, it worked just fine yeah having the correct tool for the job is ideal but it worked and i just haven't bought the correct one yet.

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
yeah same here when i did mine marlin was out also but i bought a imbact socket at sears, it worked just fine yeah having the correct tool for the job is ideal but it worked and i just haven't bought the correct one yet.
Why buy another when you already have one that works?
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity