Author Topic: Putting Power steering on an 80' w/ 20r (Questions)  (Read 5397 times)

TheCookieMonster

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 973
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
Putting Power steering on an 80' w/ 20r (Questions)
« on: Oct 06, 2008, 12:37:00 PM »
so ive searched and found out a few things about this. i have manual steering right now it it sucks. so im gettin ready to go ps and have a few questions.

i found a pump and resivior off of a 2wd 3rd gen. are these pumps the same as the 4wd pumps???and are all the toyota pumps the same?

also i see people that have ps on a 20r motor. anyone have any pics of the bracket for the pump and where the pump is located on these motors??

i think thats it for now. im in the process of gathering parts to do this so any help/advise would be appriciated.

thanks guys  :thumbs:
« Last Edit: Oct 06, 2008, 05:43:43 PM by TheCookieMonster »

TheCookieMonster [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
Re: Power steering on an 80' w/ 20r (Questions)
« Reply #1 on: Oct 06, 2008, 05:38:24 PM »
anybody  :dunno:

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
the 20R pumps and 22R pumps are the same

the bolt to the side of the head just below the distributor, with a bracked that extends to the front of the head

AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

TheCookieMonster [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
cool...i need to go check my head and hopefully have the mounting holes for the pump bracket  :crossed:...im gonna pick up a pump and reservoir for $20 after work tonite...just need to get all the brackets, pulley, lines, new box  :beerchug:

Marlin

• Inspirational Genius
  • Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 856
  • Member since Sep '02
  • MC³ = 1,148:1
    • View Profile
    • Marlin Crawler
Your 20r has a 96mm tall block so you will need a 79 to 84 lower support bracket that bolts to the front of the block and the bottom of the ps pump.
The bracket that bolts to the head behind the distributor is the same from 79 to 95.

79 to 80 pumps used bronze shaft bushings and the high pressure hose exits towards the firewall. These early pumps have a poor service record and should not be used. I replaced the front seal many times on my 80 20r thur the years.

81 to 95 pumps use roller bearings and have a great service record. The high pressure line exits towards the drivers fenderwell and are available with a high pressure idle up port for efi or without. Both pumps will work just fine.

Save a lot of work by getting a first gen 2wd or 4 wd reservoir and after drilling 3 holes in the fenderwell, bolt it on. The 2nd gen trucks use a difference reservoir that is a pain to mount to the early trucks.

Marlin
1980 Toyota - 1997 3RZ-FE 2.7l Engine, Turbo R151F 4.31:1, Triple Turbo Marlin Crawler Billet (2.28x4.70x4.70) = 1,148:1 Crawl Ratio, Marlin Crawler Twin Stick and Short Throw Shift Kits, 30mm H/D Output Shaft, High Angle Drive Lines, 5.29:1, ARBs, High Pinion Front, 25mm HD Billet High Steer Kit, 6 Pin Locking Hub Bodies, 86+ Wide Rear End, V6 3rd member, Chromolly Axles all around, 37" IROKs with Beadlocks, York onboard air - Rollbar air tank, Premier Power Welder, Marlin Crawler 4" USA-made Leaf Springs, Bilstein Shocks, et cetera....

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
2wd pumps and 4wd pumps are not the same, the 2wds have a smaller sector shaft, and a king spline that the 4wd does not have... 2wd pumps mount to the frame with 2 bolts instead of the 3 the 4wd pumps use.....

also, if you get a power steering pump from a 22r, get it with the brackets, the pumps from pre 85 will not bolt up to a bracket from an 85+ 22r

:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
2wd pumps and 4wd pumps are not the same, the 2wds have a smaller sector shaft, and a king spline that the 4wd does not have... 2wd pumps mount to the frame with 2 bolts instead of the 3 the 4wd pumps use.....

also, if you get a power steering pump from a 22r, get it with the brackets, the pumps from pre 85 will not bolt up to a bracket from an 85+ 22r

jim are you a total moron? this is asking about PUMPS and you are telling him about BOXES.  no where in his original post does he mention a box. :rant:

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
Thanks Marlin,  i was looking at a  85 pump today and  wondered if the internals were different because the old trusty pump thats been in my truck since 1979   is finally starting to go,  i'll swap pumps sometime this week

cookie monster,  theres a "wishbone" shaped bracket that attaches to the bottom of the pump and goes down to a bolt on the front of the block just about mid ways of the alternator,  i didnt use this wishbone for awhile  and it tweaked my pump brackets , i guess the added leverage was too much for the upper brackets

i'll try and find pic's for all the brackets :thumbs:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
jim are you a total moron? this is asking about PUMPS and you are telling him about BOXES.  no where in his original post does he mention a box. :rant:

doH! i am a moron......

ok, the secodn part was right... dont know what i was thinking about the boxes..... but the part about

if you get a power steering pump from a 22r, get it with the brackets, the pumps from pre 85 will not bolt up to a bracket from an 85+ 22r
is correct
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1088
  • Male Posts: 9,756
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
theres a "wishbone" shaped bracket that attaches to the bottom of the pump and goes down to a bolt on the front of the block just about mid ways of the alternator,  i didnt use this wishbone for awhile  and it tweaked my pump brackets , i guess the added leverage was too much for the upper brackets

You need to get me a pic of that glen  :thumbs:  Since I have a 76 celica head on mine I don't even have the boss on the front of the head for the idler pulley bolt.  I made a half ass L bracket that went around to the bolt that holds the lift eye on the head, but had nothing going down so the whole assembly would kink down under hard throttle and loosen the hose.  It wasn't too bad as long as I didn't tighten it too hard, but I'm in the process of making a bracket that'll bolt to the side of the head and tie in with the a/c compressor mount.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

TheCookieMonster [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
great info fella's....especially Marlins post  :bowdown: :turtle: thanks

i need to head to the junkyard an start finding some backets and more parts :thumbs:

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
You need to get me a pic of that glen  :thumbs:  Since I have a 76 celica head on mine I don't even have the boss on the front of the head for the idler pulley bolt.  I made a half ass L bracket that went around to the bolt that holds the lift eye on the head, but had nothing going down so the whole assembly would kink down under hard throttle and loosen the hose.  It wasn't too bad as long as I didn't tighten it too hard, but I'm in the process of making a bracket that'll bolt to the side of the head and tie in with the a/c compressor mount.
ask and you shall recieve 

the hole made by the "Y" shaped bracket is where the radiator hose goes

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1088
  • Male Posts: 9,756
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Weird, I've never seen one of those that I can remember  :headscratch:  I'll hafta take a closer look and make sure I even have the mounting bosses for that!  I was envisioning a bracket that bolted to the passenger side for some reason  :dunno:  That's the side I was mostly concerned about because the celica head doesn't have the boss on the front where the bolt right by the idler pulley would go, so there's nothing on that side keeping it in place. 

I made a half assed bracket that wrapped around and tied into the bolt holding the lifting hook to the head and will still be using part of it, but will need to add a piece that goes down to the top bolt holding the a/c pump bracket to the engine.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!