Author Topic: what model is the hp in  (Read 2848 times)

12GA.YOTA

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 143
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
what model is the hp in
« on: Sep 08, 2008, 08:23:08 AM »
I have an 84 pickup and want an hp diff for it. which models will fit in my straight axle housing? I also want to get an Aussie locker but I dont know which to buy. I think what I need 90-97 land cruiser diff, is this correct?
84 toy 5" suspension, 2" shackle, new 35" Boggers, Detroit rear, tru-trac front, 5.29 gears, custom made bumpers f/r, custom sliders, racing seats with 4 point harness, marlin 4.70:1 t-case,stock 4 banger with sincro Webber carb

cgbemis

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 560
  • Male Posts: 568
  • Member since May '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
Re: what model is the hp in
« Reply #1 on: Sep 14, 2008, 09:40:21 AM »
You are correct. 90-97 front FJ/FZJ80 diffs are what you are looking for. As for the auzzie, I don't know. The HP diff is alot like a v6 diff in that it takes the same bearings lockers, etc. But the v6 also has a 4 pinion carrier. The high pinion has a 2 pinion carrier. It wouldn't matter if you were replacing the whole carrier, but an auzzie fits inside of the stock carrier. I would call an Auzzie dealer, and ask them which Auzzie you need.

dirtchicken

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -44
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 14, 2008, 08:46:24 PM »
The hi pinion uses a V6 carrier (4 pinion). Aussie doesn't make a V6 locker obviously. You can use a 4 cylinder 3rd in a hi pinion but you have to buy the conversion bearing. The downside is you'll still have the 2 pinion carrier. I put a Detroit EZ locker (V6 model) in mine. Here's a build up of mine.
http://gearinstalls.com/aaron.htm
I am going to remove the Aussie in mine in the future for a Detriot. Brian Ellinger says that lunch box lockers destroy the case after a while by spreading the case apart. I haven't heard about it happening much though.

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 14, 2008, 08:52:57 PM »
put an elocker in the hp :)
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

BoG-ToY

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 594
  • Male Posts: 2,122
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 14, 2008, 10:12:00 PM »
more like BUY an HP E-locker and modify the front housing, and probably buy a cable from downy since theres rumors that the motors like to get in the way of something on the offset front housings... anyways, you cannot BUY an E-locker for a standard HP third....
either buy an an HP e-locker or buy an HP third and then an aftermarket locker.

hmm, interesting, see spider gears (or pinion gears as they call them) are always pushing on the case....   any gear to gear has FORCES pushing in different directions some only on certain axis, but pushing or pulling just the same.... so dont see how a lunchbox would be that much different
Sand, what fun, drop pressure to 12psi, stock tires are still digging, can't afford to get stuck, 8psi, still not working. Find a place to GET OUT, air up, un-lock hubs,  WAIT whats this, hubs are UN-LOCKED already. 2wd, 8psi, stock tires, Oregon sand dunes.

12GA.YOTA [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sep 15, 2008, 05:49:25 PM »
aussi makes a locker for 90-97 land cruisers so I think when I find my 3rd I will put one of those in. I dont really like the e-locker, dont know why I just dont
84 toy 5" suspension, 2" shackle, new 35" Boggers, Detroit rear, tru-trac front, 5.29 gears, custom made bumpers f/r, custom sliders, racing seats with 4 point harness, marlin 4.70:1 t-case,stock 4 banger with sincro Webber carb

BoG-ToY

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sep 15, 2008, 09:00:18 PM »
My only problem with elockers is once you go elocker...you cant just stick a stocker or someone else spare third in the hole...its GOTTA be elocker from there on out.... with a stock mini truck third... its alot easier to replace if needed...
Sand, what fun, drop pressure to 12psi, stock tires are still digging, can't afford to get stuck, 8psi, still not working. Find a place to GET OUT, air up, un-lock hubs,  WAIT whats this, hubs are UN-LOCKED already. 2wd, 8psi, stock tires, Oregon sand dunes.

cgbemis

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 560
  • Male Posts: 568
  • Member since May '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sep 16, 2008, 07:54:06 AM »
aussi makes a locker for 90-97 land cruisers so I think when I find my 3rd I will put one of those in. I dont really like the e-locker, dont know why I just dont

Make sure that's for the front diff., and not the rear. The rear is a different diff. Much bigger.

12GA.YOTA [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sep 16, 2008, 05:41:33 PM »
Make sure that's for the front diff., and not the rear. The rear is a different diff. Much bigger.

Didnt think of that but I rechecked with the web site and they have front and rear lockers. I didnt know that the cruser's rear axle is almost a 9" ring why arent more samy guys geting these?

BoG-ToY

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Sep 16, 2008, 05:50:54 PM »
keeping the same parts front and rear means you can swap if an emergency....
keeping one spare part in inventory....  I mean...same reason I listed for the e-locker, even if you bust your front diff, by running a non elocker you can swap in a spare diff,  theres alot of reasons..... but popularity means ALOT