Author Topic: EGR block off why ????  (Read 18740 times)

cronic 4x4

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
EGR block off why ????
« on: Sep 05, 2008, 11:06:40 AM »
My question is I have a 1985 22RE why do people and what is the benefit of the EGR block off plates ??????????????

RN37DD

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 742
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
Re: EGR block off why ????
« Reply #1 on: Sep 05, 2008, 01:59:11 PM »
some people do it to remove a possible running issue if it fails. or they think it might give them more power. or they want to remove hose's and lines from their engine. best to just leave it on and working. removing it from a 22re with give you no more power. when your getting on it, it's not even open.

sabenson82

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 70
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 05, 2008, 02:16:08 PM »
I yanked all that crap just to get it out from under the hood....didnt notice any significant changes in the way the truck ran.  ive got a bored 22r with a 20r head, cam, downey header and weber 38 carb.... and dont have to smog it...
Does anyone know if a truck will smog without the EGR??? :dunno:
Build it, Break it, Build it again...STRONGER

cronic 4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 05, 2008, 02:17:55 PM »
Ok I was going to remove it but if all it does is clean up the top of the motor why bother the with the effort of removing it.. Does anyone else have a different opinion ??

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 921
  • Male Posts: 3,518
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 05, 2008, 02:56:01 PM »
I yanked all that crap just to get it out from under the hood....didnt notice any significant changes in the way the truck ran.  ive got a bored 22r with a 20r head, cam, downey header and weber 38 carb.... and dont have to smog it...
Does anyone know if a truck will smog without the EGR??? :dunno:

Not in Cali.    :down:
I like to Drive!

sabenson82

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sep 05, 2008, 02:59:53 PM »
guess im lucky i dont have to smog it!!

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 921
  • Male Posts: 3,518
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sep 05, 2008, 03:20:46 PM »
guess im lucky i dont have to smog it!!

:yesnod:
I like to Drive!

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #7 on: Sep 05, 2008, 08:28:40 PM »
in swapping to a weber carb  i removed all my egr equipment, (i'm in Arkansas)

:psss:  i hear removing a egr in California will get you shot by police quicker than holding up a dunkin donuts
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sep 05, 2008, 08:29:39 PM »
Take it off and I do not care where you live in the USA you can be cited, and it is/can be a heavy fine. Emission controls are not state statues, they are Federal and if your vehicle came with them, they are not to be taken off. In California, the fines start at $1,000.00 for emissions tampering. Do you feel lucky?
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

sabenson82

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Sep 06, 2008, 02:32:56 PM »
 :yupyup:

krash81

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 64
  • Member since Aug '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sep 10, 2008, 07:43:23 PM »
Take it off and I do not care where you live in the USA you can be cited, and it is/can be a heavy fine. Emission controls are not state statues, they are Federal and if your vehicle came with them, they are not to be taken off. In California, the fines start at $1,000.00 for emissions tampering. Do you feel lucky?
I just  asked my emisson/inspection guy the other day about taking off all of the emissions junk and he told me that in Utah if it's a 1983 and older that you can. As long as it can still pass the sniff test.

My question is if I take all the emissions junk off, can I still pass the sniff test?

MC387

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -4
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sep 17, 2008, 09:45:43 AM »
If your EGR is working properly, I can see no reason to remove it.  I guess the intake track would stay cleaner, but other than that just leave it.  After all it is there to clean up emissions, and we do all have to breath this air.  Don't get me wrong, I am not a greenie, and if 10 HP could be gained by taking it off i would.  I have tried it both ways, there was absolutely no difference in the way it ran.  As for emissions, it would fail in CA.  As for fines, I have never heard of it, if I smogged it, I would fail it and tell you to put a valve on there.  You could get shot up around the Bay Area though. :)

Plekto

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 27
  • Male Posts: 863
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sep 26, 2008, 02:56:57 PM »
EGR must be on.  Really, the truck runs cleaner with the smog equipment on it and a couple HP difference isn't really worth polluting the hell out of the place.(IMO)  Plus, if you ever resell it, it's easier to sell again with the stuff still there.  The general rule on sales is that the vehicle must still be fitted with what came on it in terms of smog equipment.  You can of course remove it after the inspection and do a simple emissions test.. but the levels it'll pollute without the stuff on can be an enormous difference.

OTOH, those plates... I got a header that didn't have the plates and everything was fine. Evidently there were EFI models without the water injection, the 2nd o2 sensor, OR the other nosense - just nothing but plates. Toyota basically being cheap and using the carb'd model manifold and kludging the plates on.

If this describes your situation, then Thorley makes a header without the plates that will fit and work with the CA smog equipment.  No leaks made a huge difference, though it's not a *cheap* fix...

Rix86

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 4
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Oct 04, 2008, 09:27:58 AM »
Usually you will notice a fuel econmy decrease with egr (properly operating egr that is) removed, and you have a higher likelyhood of pinging/detonation/pre-ignition, (at light/mid load cruise) whatever you want to call it, with the egr removed.
INCREDIBLY RANDOM

Plekto

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 27
  • Male Posts: 863
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Oct 09, 2008, 06:14:23 PM »
Note that Thorley header I mentioned is CA approved and has the EGR cutouts/channels in it.  Just no plates or the extra holes and nonsense up near the top of the header pipes.

Passed smog just fine.  But yes, not inexpensive.  Heh.

porkchop

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 630
  • Member since Jun '07
  • Yeah 2 @ 1 time
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Oct 09, 2008, 08:52:37 PM »
HELL YEAH I feel lucky  TENNESSEE  does not check nothing
85 TRUCK AUSSIE IN FRONT LINCON AROUND BACK MARLIN 4" SPRINGS UP FRONT WITH 63 CHEVYS ON BACK. REBUILT 22R WITH CRAWL CAM AND FEW OTHER THINGS NOTHING HUGE JUST WAITING TO GET PROPANE ON IT. RUNNIN 35'S M/T WITH MY LONGFIELDS 30 SPLINE SUPER AXLES. 4.7's IN T-CASE AND ON THE WAY WITH DUAL CASES. FULL HYDRO WITH TG ROCK ASSULT PUMP AND 2 X 6 AG RAM

nando818

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Sep '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jul 18, 2020, 09:42:39 AM »
No emissions south west pa.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

RUGER

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 16415
  • Male Posts: 1,017
  • Member since May '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #17 on: Jul 18, 2020, 12:10:06 PM »
wow this tread was from 2008 haha. a blast from the past.

no emessions in az except in the phx area.

RUGER :usa: :beer: :usa:
:usa: GOD BLESS AMERICA :usa:

"the hag" 83 toy with 5" all-pro lift, marlin crawler dual case #1011 and marlin hy-steer, 35s, 5.29's, exo cage, yada, yada, yada. she's back in black.

97 F250
84 Grand Waggy
77 Scout II SS
96 Explorer Sport
20 F150

USN SEABEE 2008-2012 :usa:
run with THE PACK 4wdc of los osos
NRA life member