Author Topic: Not high tech Install of Celica seats in WAY more comfortable  (Read 3306 times)

Doable

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 69
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Like the title says, not high tech in the least bit but very comfortable. I took the seats that came with my 86 out and put in some bench seats from a 93 in. They were cleaner but never really cared for them. found a clean 1993 Toyota Celia at the junk yard over the weekend and pulled those gray seats for my 86 Extra cab.

All that had to be done was cut a small line across the top of the floor track to make it easier to bent and they were a DIRECT bolt in ! No new holes in my floor.

These seats are LOW. With the 93 in my truck my head was close to the roof and I was sitting higher than the stocks seats. With these I'm sitting lower than stock which gives me more room for my next mod. Full cage.
« Last Edit: Aug 19, 2008, 08:43:34 PM by Doable »
Nothing puts a smlie on my face like the green glow of 4x4 on the dash !
BSLCA.com

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Re: Not high tech but WAY more comfortable
« Reply #1 on: Aug 18, 2008, 08:36:26 PM »
what was the cut you made? i dont quite understand?
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Doable [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 18, 2008, 08:40:34 PM »
In the Celica the seats bolt flat on the floor.(On the front part of the track) In the Toyota trucks the front of the seat track is not flat to the floor but sits on a brace.So I cut a small relief to help the seat rail bend eaiser. ( Not easy to explain but not hard to do at all)
BSLCA.com

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 18, 2008, 09:13:58 PM »
what was the cut you made? i dont quite understand?

He cut a score line in the metal. Makes the steel easier to bend. The score line should be welded up after the bend because it makes the metal weaker. It is a good way to get an accurate bend.

David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

Doable [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Yep, That's the cut I made on front of the seat tracks. The nice part is the tracks are made like a piece of "C" channel, so I just had to notch the two side slightly and not cut through the flat part of the track. I'll get a picture it makes more scenes.
BSLCA.com

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
I had put these 93 celica seats in my ride and they were too low (even after I used some spacers) and thyey were hard as a rock....The seats were in perfect condition though....

I took em out after a week and put my ratty bench back in....much more comfy lol

RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
I just put in some 3rd gen seats in my truck, they're a little tall but I have a great view now. I can almost see right over the hood. Made for a lot of storage space under my seats too.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Doable [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
DIRTOYBOY,  Were you able to use the seat buckle that was attached to the Celia seats ?  The reason I ask is because the Celia seats I have now will not accept the pickup truck seat belt(male part).  As far as for them being hard seats I guess I had not noticed i guess i have more cushion in my a$$ than you  :gap: 

Rocksurfer , The 3rd generation seats I had in there did let you see high but did not like being that close to the roof.. I have them in the carport clean and for sale if anyone wants them.
BSLCA.com

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
DIRTOYBOY,  Were you able to use the seat buckle that was attached to the Celia seats ?  The reason I ask is because the Celia seats I have now will not accept the pickup truck seat belt(male part).  As far as for them being hard seats I guess I had not noticed i guess i have more cushion in my a$$ than you  :gap: 

No i dont think I could...I just used the original belts and hardware
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Mine also has the seat belt attached to the seat and I cannot use it. they are way different so currently I am using the old ones. I'm not sure about the 3rd gens mounting on the pillar, don't know if it runs inside or outside the trim. If it is outside I may be able to use them and then I can remove the others.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you