Author Topic: tacoma double cab  (Read 3935 times)

RN37DD

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 742
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
tacoma double cab
« on: Aug 18, 2008, 11:41:55 AM »
i looked a a 03 double cab Tacoma. bad 2wd with and auto. good.. it's in excellent shape and the 2.7 looks perfect. i was told it has the offroad suspension. how would i tell, and what should i look for?  I've got a 4wd already and this would be used for the family rig. until later. can it be modified for offroad with out to much hassle?

JanMarie13

• Queen Cookie Monster
  • Internet Lassies
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 924
  • Female Posts: 415
  • Member since Jan '06
  • Mmm....Tacos!
    • View Profile
Re: tacoma double cab
« Reply #1 on: Aug 18, 2008, 11:45:49 AM »
2wd's come with off-road suspension  :headscratch:

Don't listen to me though.  The only thing I know for sure is you won't find a 5spd one of these anyway....they only come in auto, far as I know.  'Round these parts anyway.
RIP Kyle, we love and miss you man.  :smooch:
thanks for the smooch I miss you too !  :yesnod:

RN37DD [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 18, 2008, 12:25:35 PM »
hey if they only make auto's.. then I'll just deal with it.  I'm trying to get this rig out of my mind, but it's so clean.  guess I'd better just go down and test drive it.

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 18, 2008, 01:25:53 PM »
i looked a a 03 double cab Tacoma. bad 2wd with and auto. good.. it's in excellent shape and the 2.7 looks perfect. i was told it has the offroad suspension. how would i tell, and what should i look for?  I've got a 4wd already and this would be used for the family rig. until later. can it be modified for offroad with out to much hassle?

I think what they are talking about is the Prerunner style 2wd tacoma. The Prerunners have the same suspension as a 4wd they just dont have a front dif or axle shafts or anything. They are basically a 4WD taco without 4WD. they arent low to the ground though like a standard 2WD. You should be able to tell just by looking at it. Is it high off the ground or low to the ground? Does it have a Prerunner badge on it somewhere?

MPA is correct as well, these did not come with 5 speed manual trannys unless someone custom swapped it themselves. If you just need a family rig I don't see why it wouldnt work out. Though if you want to modify it for wheeling later it seems smart to just get a 4WD anyway. It would be a lot less hassle to get a 4wd and start with that than to turn a 2wd into a 4wd just to mess around with.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

RN37DD [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 18, 2008, 03:17:59 PM »
looks like the 03 double cab 2wd only came in the prerunner. some came with a TRD package but that looked like just fancy paint wheels and i think the V6 2wd also could have an e locker.

DCabTaco

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 49
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 18, 2008, 03:32:12 PM »
double cabs only came in prerunner(2wd) or 4x4(both are six lug wheels), no mini tacos (taquito which are lower to the ground and only have 5 lug wheels).  The TRD packages came with a rear locker and off road suspension (some with bils shocks some with tokico).  Yes, even prerunners came with the rear locker if they had the TRD package.  As far as automatic vs 5speed, yes from the dealer you only had the option to get automatic on a 4door, but there have been a few people who have converted it to 5speed,... not easy by any means unless you have a donor truck, then it is still not easy, but doable even for the home mechanic. 

If you ever want to convert it to a 4x4, it would be best to just get a 4x4.  Once again it is doable, but not easy or cheap by any standards.  Now, a prerunner with a rear locker is a pretty capable rig, but will not take you as many places as a stock 4x4 no locker can. 
04 SCed DCab Taco
85 4runner
97 Civic (DD)

RN37DD [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 18, 2008, 04:15:48 PM »
thanks for the info everyone. i guess i better just go out and drive one.  my wife told me i couldn't go 4wheeling one day because she though I'd get stuck and come home late. so i had to do all my offroad in 2wd.

RN37DD [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Aug 19, 2008, 01:13:05 PM »
i was told to get a 4wd model at home.. guess she knows me better than i thought.  :driving:

8D3TOY

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Member since May '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Aug 20, 2008, 08:34:41 AM »
I have had the Doublecab blues for a few years now, I want one so bad but I chicken out every time.  I have found around here anyway that a 4x is pretty rare and people want alot of $$$ for them 2x or 4x.  If you get one do me a favor and tell me it sucks and you hate it that will help me sleep at night.

DCabTaco

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 49
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Aug 20, 2008, 09:26:20 AM »
I am the first owner of my 04, supercharged, double cab 4x4 black tacoma, with URD fuel mods, 35" BFG ATs, on mohave teflon black wheels, 4.88 gears, Budbuilt traction bar, donahoes all around, 9 leaf deavers, donahoe chubby air bumps, DO sliders, Budbuilt skid, ARB from locker TRD rear, and on board air.  I will say this, I hate my truck so much, I hardly even drive it now.  There, did that work?
04 SCed DCab Taco
85 4runner
97 Civic (DD)

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Aug 20, 2008, 12:40:54 PM »
I am the first owner of my 04, supercharged, double cab 4x4 black tacoma, with URD fuel mods, 35" BFG ATs, on mohave teflon black wheels, 4.88 gears, Budbuilt traction bar, donahoes all around, 9 leaf deavers, donahoe chubby air bumps, DO sliders, Budbuilt skid, ARB from locker TRD rear, and on board air.  I will say this, I hate my truck so much, I hardly even drive it now.  There, did that work?

:rofl:
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

LA_Fred

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -68
  • Male Posts: 228
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Aug 26, 2008, 08:39:57 PM »
I have had the Doublecab blues for a few years now, I want one so bad but I chicken out every time.  I have found around here anyway that a 4x is pretty rare and people want alot of $$$ for them 2x or 4x.  If you get one do me a favor and tell me it sucks and you hate it that will help me sleep at night.

I've seen quite a few people converting the pre-runners to 4wd when they sas their rigs. In fact, for tacos, IMHO, I'd rather start w/ a 2wd pre-runner double cab and swap to right hand output and marlin duals (+sas) to have pure gear driven t-cases. of course, this would be after I won the lottery...

-F
1989 x-cab V6, SAS, Marlin dual ultimate crawler, dual arbs, high pinion, 35 mtr's, hot brunette in passenger seat.