Author Topic: toy auto with duel cases  (Read 3550 times)

Thumper

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 63
  • Member since Dec '03
    • View Profile
toy auto with duel cases
« on: Jul 10, 2008, 08:32:20 PM »
Has anyone put a gear drive case behind a toyota auto tranny i saw that inchworm gear has an adapter that you can bolt up duels behind the factory auto. Im working on building a new project veh im using a toy 3.0 with an auto tranny and want too put duel behind it. i think that would crawl pretty good, is inchworm the only company that makes this adapter? How well are they known ive never done or know anyone thats done busigness with them so wana do a lil research before i dump 550.00 into a adapter too find out its poor made junk.
thanks and pics of anysetups like this would be great.
adam
If you didn't make it, and it ain't broke, you didn't try hard enough.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: toy auto with duel cases
« Reply #1 on: Jul 10, 2008, 09:02:25 PM »
hey Adam,  Marlin only has adapters for the tacoma's  so  yea i think Inchworm is the only one for the early stuff

all i know about them is that they sell trailgear suspension "parts"
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

OOPS

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1233
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 10, 2008, 09:05:09 PM »
Inchworm is a very straight forward company. Give Jim a call and talk to him, he makes nothing but quality products.
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 10, 2008, 09:12:20 PM »
lots of peopel sell trailcrap parts... doesnt make them a bad company at all.....

i have talked to marlin himself and he told me that jim @ inchworm is a good man..... to talk about a competitor liek that tells me, 1 marlin is a good guy, and 2 jim must be a good guy too
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Thumper [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 11, 2008, 05:55:02 AM »
Hey sounds good too me i dident think he would be a bad guy just wanted too make shure before dumping alot of money down for a adapter.
come on somebody has too have done this or know someone who is doing this swap.
dident they do it on that extreme 4x4 show on that buggy they built at the wyotech school?

SLIVER

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 503
  • Member since May '06
  • ))--SLIVER-->
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 11, 2008, 06:41:44 AM »
That formula toy was a 22-re. I don't know which tranny they were using though.

))--SLIVER-->
))--SLIVER-->

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 11, 2008, 06:54:52 AM »
lots of peopel sell trailcrap parts... doesnt make them a bad company at all.....

i have talked to marlin himself and he told me that jim @ inchworm is a good man..... to talk about a competitor liek that tells me, 1 marlin is a good guy, and 2 jim must be a good guy too
:headscratch:  excuse me  did i say anything  about Inchworm being "bad"  i think i said  "all i know about them is they sell trailgear suspension parts"

my friend Jason bought a sas kit from them  and it came from TG,   thats all i know of the company, period.

didnt they do it on that extreme 4x4 show on that buggy they built at the wyotech school?
now that you mention it, i think it was indeed a yota automatic, and inchworm adapter  with twin geardrive cases
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

lucky7

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 303
  • Male Posts: 778
  • Member since Sep '07
  • CAN'T POLISH A TURD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 11, 2008, 02:32:20 PM »
find an a340f with passenger drop and you're cool :cool:

madhunt

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 52
  • Male Posts: 490
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 11, 2008, 04:05:48 PM »
YOU CAN GO THROUGH GEARSLUG AS WELL. THEY DO THERE OWN AUTO ADAPTER.
HIGH AND TIGHT OFFROAD

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jul 11, 2008, 06:18:08 PM »
YOU CAN GO THROUGH GEARSLUG AS WELL. THEY DO THERE OWN AUTO ADAPTER.
gotta link??

Thumper [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '03
    • View Profile

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jul 11, 2008, 09:49:29 PM »
so is the gear slug actually for sale? if you try to buy it, you just get redirected.....
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Thumper [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jul 11, 2008, 10:42:40 PM »
I emailed them too find out if its still available, and too also get some prices on the adapter with and without the new converter.
will prob end up going with the inchworm because ive heard the gear slug is alot more, and have heard the same thing that there not available anymore.

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,052
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jul 12, 2008, 10:07:41 AM »
I have an inchworm (standard crawl box) in my 4Runner and it seems to work great.  I would still be running Marlin if they would have had the part I needed in stock before my trip to Moab.  I had to know everything was 100% and Inchworm has served me well so far.  I liked Jim, but wasn't as impressed with the other guy I talked to.  I would purchase from them again if they have what I need.

Do you really need to have duals with an automatic?  I thought you couldn't stop the rig with an auto and 100:1 t-case gearing.  I guess this might be a case where dual ultimate gearing wouldn't be worth the added expense.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

Thumper [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jul 12, 2008, 08:41:23 PM »
Well i never thought about not being able too stop it, im gona be running a d44 front and a 14bolt with disks rear so i think it would prob still stop it but not shure. i just thought about doing duel 2.28 cases, ive got that in my truck i wheel and its plenty low enought with 5.29s and 36 sx's, i dont think i would do 4.7s in the rear case especally right away, just want the duels were i still have lots of gear combos, because i like too run alot of trails and mud and dont think the 3.0 would pull high very well on 39s and low with 4.7s would prob be too low with not enought wheel speed for steep loose climbs like we have around here in oklahoma.
Im prob going too build it with just the stock trans and tcase and then save up for the duelsetup and the adapters because i dont really have the 1300 or so too dump into my new rig till i get it wheelable and sell my truck. Can i get some pics of your setup with just the single case? and does anyone know the length of the auto with duel tcases?

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,052
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jul 13, 2008, 11:22:59 AM »
Well i never thought about not being able too stop it, im gona be running a d44 front and a 14bolt with disks rear so i think it would prob still stop it but not shure. i just thought about doing duel 2.28 cases, ive got that in my truck i wheel and its plenty low enought with 5.29s and 36 sx's, i dont think i would do 4.7s in the rear case especally right away, just want the duels were i still have lots of gear combos, because i like too run alot of trails and mud and dont think the 3.0 would pull high very well on 39s and low with 4.7s would prob be too low with not enought wheel speed for steep loose climbs like we have around here in oklahoma.
Im prob going too build it with just the stock trans and tcase and then save up for the duelsetup and the adapters because i dont really have the 1300 or so too dump into my new rig till i get it wheelable and sell my truck. Can i get some pics of your setup with just the single case? and does anyone know the length of the auto with duel tcases?

Mine is the standard manual-dual setup, I don't have an auto tranny.  I was thinking later that you should be fine with stock duals, but getting a set of 4.70s would likely be useless with an auto.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jul 13, 2008, 06:24:12 PM »
Adam,  i have a friend with a auto  and its actually  fairly long

similiar to a w56 with tcase, if not longer

lucky7

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 303
  • Male Posts: 778
  • Member since Sep '07
  • CAN'T POLISH A TURD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jul 13, 2008, 06:48:28 PM »
I run 4-7's behind mine don't think i need much more but would be nice to have 2-28 in front when i'm cruising :eyebrow:

Thumper [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jul 14, 2008, 05:42:06 PM »
ya ive already got the stock tranny and tcase now connected too the motor still thats what im going too run until i save up for the adater for the duels.
we will see how long the stock chain drive will last under 39.5s