Author Topic: GAUGE CLUSTER SWAP.  (Read 3922 times)

SLIVER

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 503
  • Member since May '06
  • ))--SLIVER-->
    • View Profile
GAUGE CLUSTER SWAP.
« on: Jun 24, 2008, 02:55:32 PM »
Hello, hey do any of you know if I can swap my 85 gauge cluster for a different one. I am interested in swapping in one that has a factory tac. My 85 one does not. What I have heard is that all the toyota trucks were shipped from the factory set up for a tac, but only the sr5 ones had the tac. gauge in the dash. Is this true?
If I would need to actually wire the tac into the truck, then i'll just go buy the gauge and do it. However if I could just plug a different gauge cluster in to the factory plug than i'd rather do that.

Thanks a ton

))--SLIVER-->
))--SLIVER-->

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: GAUGE CLUSTER SWAP.
« Reply #1 on: Jun 24, 2008, 05:29:49 PM »
yes they sr5 guage will swap right in, just make sure if  your speedo is cable driven or wire driven
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 24, 2008, 05:38:10 PM »
both speedos are gear driven, speedo will work with either cluster..... the tach wont work though, without adding a wire to an unused spot on the original harness due to the tach.... something about blue wire

:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 24, 2008, 06:18:52 PM »
both speedos are gear driven, speedo will work with either cluster..... the tach wont work though, without adding a wire to an unused spot on the original harness due to the tach.... something about blue wire

first gens  have all the same wireing,  i cant say  about the 2nd or 3rds  but i  would  bet  they would work, if they "work" when installed
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 24, 2008, 06:24:59 PM »
first gens  have all the same wireing,  i cant say  about the 2nd or 3rds  but i  would  bet  they would work, if they "work" when installed

the 85s are the same, he has an 85

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 24, 2008, 06:41:09 PM »
he should be able to find a sr5 cluster from a late 83-85  and  plug it right in

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 24, 2008, 06:43:46 PM »
he should be able to find a sr5 cluster from a late 83-85  and  plug it right in

late 83? unless its an 84 model, i would think that the 83s had a different dash setup..... i have never seen an 83 with the same dash as an 84-88

~ John F. Kennedy ~

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun 24, 2008, 06:49:45 PM »
In the engine compartment, you will find a green wiring plug that runs off of the negative side of your ignition coil.  You will need to run a wire from this plug, through the firewall, into the blue connector that plugs into the back of the guage cluster.  The blue connector is know as "Connector A" in the factory service manuals.  There should be 12 slots in the connector - A group of 5 slots on one side, and a group of 7 on the other.  There will be a little plastic divider between the group of 5 and 7 slots.  Count over to the sixth slot (through the group of five, and then the very next slot is the sixth.), this is where the wire from the ignition coil plug plugs in.  That will get your tach to work. 

This next step is absolutely critical - you MUST have the proper oil pressure sender to use with the SR5 guages.  If you try to use the oil pressure sender that goes with the non-SR5 guages, you can and will fry the oil pressure guage in your new cluster.  I hope that you haven't done this already.  The proper oil pressure sender is kind of a round dome shaped sender, rather than the smaller little sender that came on the non-SR5 trucks...  The oil pressure sender mounts on the engine block down near the oil filter (below and to the left if I recall correctly).

Other than the above mentioned items, everything else should work, assuming the new cluster is good, and that all of the bulbs are good. 

~ John F. Kennedy ~

SLIVER [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since May '06
  • ))--SLIVER-->
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jun 25, 2008, 06:48:45 AM »
Sweet, thanks for all the info. I have not done this already, however i'm planning on it, and excited to finally have a tac!

Thanks again man

))--SLIVER-->
))--SLIVER-->

Tallchevy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 236
  • Male Posts: 3,562
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Where were going we don't need roads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jun 25, 2008, 08:08:55 AM »
When I did the swap in my 87, I did the research & found that you had to do wiring. I plugged it in & it worked with out an additional wiring. Try it first & see what happens  :twocents:
:angry: My child is an honor student at Anton Levay's School of Satanic Arts :angry:

87 4Runner redo
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=41959.0
87 Toyota 4Runner, SAS Rig Gallery
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=29877.msg3

SLIVER [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since May '06
  • ))--SLIVER-->
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jun 25, 2008, 08:53:11 AM »
That would be a bonus, Thanks Tall.

))--SLIVER-->
))--SLIVER-->

Tallchevy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 236
  • Male Posts: 3,562
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Where were going we don't need roads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jun 25, 2008, 09:42:32 AM »
Make sure you swap the oil pressure switch. Right now yours turns off the oil light. You have to change the oil pressure senosr to operate the guage. If you can't find one then at least pull the wire off the sensor on the passengerside of the block so you don't damage the guage.
:angry: My child is an honor student at Anton Levay's School of Satanic Arts :angry:

87 4Runner redo
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=41959.0
87 Toyota 4Runner, SAS Rig Gallery
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=29877.msg3

Toymin8r

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 929
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jun 26, 2008, 01:38:25 AM »
yes they sr5 guage will swap right in, just make sure if  your speedo is cable driven or wire driven

Toyota's didn't use wire driven speedos until 1992 - wrong body style.    :slap:

Uh......84-87 and 88cyl.     :slap:
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE
AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU HAVE AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.

BeccaLoo24 – i can toss grown men.... so dont doubt me