Author Topic: Toyota techs  (Read 4329 times)

Suprarunner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 16
  • Male Posts: 215
  • Member since Jul '04
  • www.Trailwerx.com
    • View Profile
Toyota techs
« on: Jul 22, 2004, 06:54:41 PM »
Hey any of you guys have any clue as to what ASE Toyota / Lexus techs are getting payed out west around the Cali Arizona Nevada region?They gotta be pulling more money then in Bama... Any info would be nice. :biggthumpup:

84runner

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 99
  • Member since Dec '02
    • View Profile
Re: Toyota techs
« Reply #1 on: Jul 30, 2004, 02:54:49 PM »
Well what kind of experinece do you have ? I know fresh out of school, like UTI they are getting about 12-13 where I'm at. Flat rate
RUBICON TESTED BIG BALLS APPROVED

robrocketanski

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 65
  • Male Posts: 99
  • Member since Mar '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 30, 2004, 03:24:21 PM »
20-25 is good in michigan, if that helps  ::)

Suprarunner [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jul '04
  • www.Trailwerx.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 30, 2004, 03:48:43 PM »
Thanks guys, I had a scholarship offered to me to go to the Toyota Technical program and I just was just trying to get some insight as to if it would be worth it to go. Ends up I wont be able to go anyhow because the school does'nt offer financial aid so nevamind.

robrocketanski

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 30, 2004, 04:06:46 PM »
T-TEN? that is an awesome program, you could get a job w/ most any manufacturer w/ an associates in auto service and the tten training. the auto industry knows toyota supported training is best.

of course i am biased :greengrin:

and here i am at tms in cali  :thumbs:

Suprarunner [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jul '04
  • www.Trailwerx.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 30, 2004, 04:11:53 PM »
Trust me, I wish I could. It was hard to turn down a free ride thru a good program but it requires so much time during the day that I would only be able to work 10 hrs a week and w/o the student loans that I thought were going to be available it's impossible. Sometimes life hits you like that, but whatcha gonna do?

KYOTA

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1759
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Wreckin Ball '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 30, 2004, 04:23:10 PM »
not trying to be a richard but why do you need a student loan if you have a scholarship (offered) ?

Suprarunner [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jul '04
  • www.Trailwerx.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 30, 2004, 04:47:09 PM »
Cause only being able to work ten hours a week doesn't pay the mortgage.

robrocketanski

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 30, 2004, 05:01:46 PM »
my wife and i decided school was worth it and borrowed a shhhhhht load to both go full time and get our bachelors. we will owe about 40k total after 2 yrs but both have a degree and like i said working for toyota is going to be way worth it. full pension at no cost to you and good pay and no health care cost for the employed.

KYOTA

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1759
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Wreckin Ball '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jul 30, 2004, 05:17:31 PM »
Cause only being able to work ten hours a week doesn't pay the mortgage.

No it doesnt. Man I'd be looking at any options to be able to do this which I'm sure you have. Good luck brutha.

Suprarunner [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jul '04
  • www.Trailwerx.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jul 30, 2004, 10:01:15 PM »
Actually, the decision is a little more sticky, I'm currently working on my bachelors degree and would have to take time out from that to stop and do this, true I could make major sacrafices and accomplish it but the year I've been involved with working in the shop it seems to be a definite trend of good people getting way underpaid in this buissness. This makes me wonder if the scarafices are worth it. Plus theres a place trying to hire me for around $40,000 per year doing what I used to do before I started working as a mechanic (hard to turn down). I love working on cars and feel like I'm damn good at it but I have to keep focused on the future and what will provide best for my family and clearly judge which road to take. Also I have my concern about flat rate, sure I can sling parts on and get cars running quickly but it is also true that with as complex as modern cars are getting and the diagnosis time we spend on alot of them the flat rate mechanic is going to suffer in the near future. I was really just looking for a way to do what I like to do and have a certified skill that could move me back out west. But isn't that the called the dream life? Have the job you want, live where you want, and make alot of money? I envy those of you who have that.

Flip-Flop

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 187
  • Male Posts: 146
  • Member since Mar '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jul 30, 2004, 10:51:36 PM »
Hey Supra,

My brother works for Toyota in Utah (Karl Malone) and he makes abour $12-13/hour at the parts counter. He is working on his ASE with the help of the dealership and classes when they offer them. Not a bad way to go if you can take classes at night, plus working on trucks after hours at the dealer. Those that are ASE certified usually make 38K-45K depending on experience.

Here in Cali, they pay about $15-18/hour for the same parts job. Not sure on the ASE certified folks.  :dunno:  Use www.salary.com for more info on salaries in different areas, but remember the cost of living!!! 40K a year in Cali is near poverty level, while 40K in Utah is middle class. You can't go wrong with a BS/BA degree. Money ain't everything... those that have what you want, still want more! Just do what you enjoy.  :banana:

84runner

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 99
  • Member since Dec '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Aug 03, 2004, 03:52:55 PM »
Have you looked into any goverment grants that you might qualify for ? I know there is money out there that you don't have to pay back. But it is hard finding it, have you spoke with a toyota dealership yet ? Sometimes the dealer ship is willing to pay for the schooling if you obligate yourself to come and work for them for a certain period of time.  :thumbs:
RUBICON TESTED BIG BALLS APPROVED

Suprarunner [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jul '04
  • www.Trailwerx.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Aug 04, 2004, 05:18:39 AM »
84, That's the thing, I had the school paid for through a academic scholarship for my gpa at the colege I go to now, and I currently get Gov. $ to go to that school to live on while I take classes so I thought the same Gov. $ would be available at this school. Wrong. Booty ass technical school doesn't offer the student loans that I am approved for through the Gov.!

robrocketanski

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Aug 04, 2004, 07:59:32 AM »
most t-ten programs are through regular colleges. that is one of the good things about the program. i see the two in alabama are technical schools  :dunno: it is still an awesome program. a good tech can easily make 60-80 grand a year but no one will pay that w/ experience alone.