Author Topic: How to make a weber climb a hill.  (Read 95841 times)

YERF

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -5
  • Member since Jul '10
    • View Profile
Re: How to make a weber climb a hill.
« Reply #60 on: Oct 24, 2010, 08:48:30 PM »
This Thread is Featured in our Tech from our Forum Members section!

Ok, so I have a Weber 32/36 DGAV on my 81 4x4. The Weber works great on the 22r, and picked up a bit of pep and the driveability is loads better than stock. Even gets 18 MPG much to my surprise. Unfortunately, the Weber really does not like going up hills. Deciding this was unacceptable, I took it upon myself to remedy this situation. The problem is the location of the bowl vent. When the truck tilts back, the fuel spills into the air horn, making the truck stall. To fix this there are three things you need to do. First, make sure the float level is AT MOST spec height, preferrably 1-2mm lower. Second, install a fuel pressure regulator. I use this one:

and it's set to 2psi. NO MORE.
Third, you need to relocate the fuel bowl vent. This is the hardest part, and the one I'm going to focus on.
To relocate the bowl vent:
Remove the top of the carb.

You will notice a couple of rectangles that pass through the top. One of these is the the bowl vent. It is the one closest to the fuel inlet, furthest from the choke tower. You will need to plug it. I used JB Weld. Here:

And here it is after the JB weld:

Now you will need to make a vent to replace the one you plugged. Luckily there is a blanked port that isn't used on these carbs. Here's what you do.

Drill some holes in the port to allow the vapors out. You will be able to see your drill bit through the hole in the end. Then you will need to vent the vapor somewhere. The fitting in the end is 3/8" inside diameter, so I bought some copper tube from ACE hardware and hammered it in.

and from the top:

Then I routed it to the stock carb charcoal canister (under the battery) using 3/8" fuel hose.

And here's the finished product:

Runs up hills like a champ now. Good luck!!!
Interesting.  I need to re set my float anyway, so I may as well do this while I'm in there.

What kind of fuel filter did you use?? Does it matter?

How do you reset the float??

shaneo909

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 3
  • Member since Jan '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Jan 16, 2011, 04:27:40 PM »
I did this mod. & it works perfect for going up hill. As soon as I point it down hill it dies. Any one have any ideas?

Quick Draw

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 250
  • Member since Feb '10
  • Her name is Doris.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Feb 11, 2011, 08:24:00 PM »
I did this mod. & it works perfect for going up hill. As soon as I point it down hill it dies. Any one have any ideas?

Uhh...did you flip your carb around backwards?  Because that would do it...

I would like to add my experience here:  DO NOT BUY A CHEAP REGULATOR!  I bought one similar to what was pictured in the original post in addition to a gauge from AutoZone.  It seemed to work for like 2 months.  Then after that if I turned the idle down below 4 psi, it wouldn't allow any fuel past.  So from 4 to 3 on the regulator, my gauge would read 4, then 0 and the truck wouldn't run.  I found this out on Moab Rim in Moab...  So I was forced to run 4-5 psi and therefore because of the pressure, it would still bog down on steep climbs.  Now, it still performed better than stock, but if I could have actually dialed down the pressure it would've worked better.

I have since said screw the carburetor and swapped in a 5VZ. :D  EFI for the win!!
'80 Pickup, 5VZ-FE engine, A340F transmission, Marlin gear drive adapter, Dual Ultimate transfer cases, 5.29 gears, Detroit rear/Lockrite front locker, 37" Goodyear MTRs, XRC8 winch, custom tube bed and armor

79coyotefrg

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #63 on: Feb 14, 2011, 04:32:05 PM »

How do you reset the float??
you bend the tab that the needle sits against
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

AlexJet

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 19
  • Member since Nov '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Sep 28, 2012, 10:06:11 AM »
I have Weber 38 on my 2F and it stalls at inclines like this one.
There was note by "THE ROCK" that its not working on 38. Have you find the way to make it work?
I need to make something, so I can climb such hills and others as well.

1974 FJ40 - 35s, 5", Snorkel, etc
2001 4Runner - 33s, 3.5", ARB, Snorkel, etc
2005 4Runner - 35s, 5.5", ARB, Snorkel, etc

Braswell91

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 48
  • Member since Oct '12
  • follow me! if ya got big enough nuts!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Oct 06, 2012, 09:13:30 PM »
This may be the simple fix i was lookin for! lookin at a 82 and the test drive it stalled out when i tried to climb a hill. Thanks for the sweet and easy to follow write up!
if ya cant pork a princess, pound a pig!!!
Lower the standards, raise the average!

ROLL TIDE

RickerRicker19

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Member since Feb '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Nov 04, 2012, 03:03:44 PM »
Just finished this mod and waiting for the JB to dry. I did read somewhere out there on the www that JB does not hold up long term to gas? Just wondering if there was any truth to this at all with your experiences. It's a great mod though and very easy to do. I think it took me about 2 hours from getting the jb to fill and drilling to under the heat lamp.

Going to let it sit under the heat lamp till tomorrow morning. I figure about 18 hours under the heat lamp should cure it.

bleakhorizon

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 803
  • Member since Jul '07
  • I'm not being rude. You're just insignificant.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Nov 04, 2012, 06:29:32 PM »
mines been holding up strong....  for well quite a while now..  i think its more like it cant handle direct contact while curing....
Those are some huge welds!

Tillamook, OR

82hilux

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 15
  • Male Posts: 19
  • Member since Nov '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Nov 16, 2017, 01:51:51 PM »
Why cant i see the pictures at the top of this post for this mod on a webber anybody know
I love my 4 wheel digger

austintaco

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 36
  • Member since Jan '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Feb 07, 2018, 09:22:45 PM »
Why cant i see the pictures at the top of this post for this mod on a webber anybody know

I think its the photobucket change of terms. I was hoping to do this to my 38 while I rebuild it, so I guess I’ll have to wing it. LOL

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Feb 08, 2018, 07:32:31 AM »
I did the hill climb mod on my 32/36 and posted images...  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=102098.0
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K