Author Topic: Super Swamper TrXus STS's  (Read 8205 times)

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 102
  • Male Posts: 2,470
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Super Swamper TrXus STS's
« on: Jun 02, 2008, 10:55:56 PM »
any problems with these tires? referred to as thornturds, just kinda wondering why... look like a decent all terrain to me. :dunno:

what about the STS's look kinda like a bling mobile tire, but idk...
« Last Edit: Jun 09, 2008, 07:16:14 PM by NORCALToy »
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS

Tallchevy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 236
  • Male Posts: 3,562
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Where were going we don't need roads!
    • View Profile
Re: Super Swamper Thornbirds
« Reply #1 on: Jun 02, 2008, 11:02:03 PM »
Noisy, heavy, not a radial, tread wears fast on a daily driver. Have I forgotten anything?
:angry: My child is an honor student at Anton Levay's School of Satanic Arts :angry:

87 4Runner redo
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=41959.0
87 Toyota 4Runner, SAS Rig Gallery
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=29877.msg3

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #2 on: Jun 02, 2008, 11:03:48 PM »
i loked at the site and idtn even realize they werent radials :smack: i figured with how close together the tread is it would be decent life.

anybody actually run them? opinions?
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1088
  • Male Posts: 9,756
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 02, 2008, 11:40:28 PM »
Hit that search button man, there's a ton of talk about these tires already  :thumbs:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Prismo

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 8292
  • Member since Oct '03
  • Living in the green house
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 03, 2008, 12:51:01 AM »
Avoid them like the plague ;)
Retired Great White Turtle Hunter
Originally posted by fortysixandtwo – sheesh, you should see the transvestites i sell ammo to sometimes

ajordan1975

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 1,004
  • Member since Jun '07
  • i think i'm cool
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 03, 2008, 06:12:42 AM »
1990 4Runner, SAS, 22re, 5spd, Dual stock cases, Locked f/b, interior cage

Tallchevy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 236
  • Male Posts: 3,562
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Where were going we don't need roads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 03, 2008, 06:41:03 AM »
I had 35x14.50x15 on my 79 Blazer. I switch them onto my 4Runner for about 2 days & put them back on then Blazer.
:angry: My child is an honor student at Anton Levay's School of Satanic Arts :angry:

87 4Runner redo
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=41959.0
87 Toyota 4Runner, SAS Rig Gallery
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=29877.msg3

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #7 on: Jun 03, 2008, 01:26:00 PM »
ok. i searched now and before when i searched i only found 1 result because i looked only under CCC :smack:

bigarms23

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 111
  • Male Posts: 2,896
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jun 03, 2008, 01:56:05 PM »
i not a fan i would rather run a set of iroks
88 4runner 92 cpi duals 37 radial rockers and 4.8 coming soon

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #9 on: Jun 03, 2008, 02:28:49 PM »
what the road life of iroks though?

TIMS89CRAWLER

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 35
  • Male Posts: 1,968
  • Member since Oct '07
  • BORN TO WHEEL, FORCED TO WORK...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jun 03, 2008, 02:31:04 PM »
I owned some 35x14.5x15 thornturds for a while.... I hated them considering they were super noisy on the road, not radials so they get flat spots fast, they suck in rocks, they suck in mud, ok in sand... pretty much just an all around shitty tire...
Having a 12 second Honda is just like coming out of the closet; You're going to surprise a bunch of people, but in the end you're still gay.

www.choptechfab.com
www.myspace.com/choptechfab

1989 x-cab truck, 96 2rz swap, MC07-R10 duals w/flat belly, doved front, bobbed bed, all pro 5" springs F&R, lincoln locked F&R, 38.5" sx's and still at it!
CHECK THE BUILD
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39494.0

93tonkatoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 463
  • Member since Jul '07
  • drive it till it breaks! then break out the tools.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jun 03, 2008, 03:02:33 PM »
what the road life of iroks though?

One word: SHORT!

The IROK is a very soft rubber compound, that for off-roading is great! On the road, they wear really fast. The tread lugs are large and widely spaced, and do very well in mud (surprised me!). The soft compound and the extra siping in the lugs make me think they would do good in rocks (haven't tried that yet). The carcass of the tire is rounded pretty well which helps to make them do good in sand (high flotation, lugs dig in). Overall, I am pleased with their off-road performance, but I would have another set of cheap AT's to run on the roads.
It ain't worth doin' if you don't have to clean up afterwards!

Build it, break it, fix it, repeat until your wallet is empty.

I shall infuse thy Jeep with the Essence of Toyota...and maybe that one won't pee on itself at the first sight of granite. - Duffil

SAVE TELLICO post 491

TIMS89CRAWLER

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Oct '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jun 03, 2008, 03:10:43 PM »
One word: SHORT!

The IROK is a very soft rubber compound, that for off-roading is great! On the road, they wear really fast. The tread lugs are large and widely spaced, and do very well in mud (surprised me!). The soft compound and the extra siping in the lugs make me think they would do good in rocks (haven't tried that yet). The carcass of the tire is rounded pretty well which helps to make them do good in sand (high flotation, lugs dig in). Overall, I am pleased with their off-road performance, but I would have another set of cheap AT's to run on the roads.
irok's do great on rocks too!
Having a 12 second Honda is just like coming out of the closet; You're going to surprise a bunch of people, but in the end you're still gay.

www.choptechfab.com

1989 x-cab truck, 96 2rz swap, MC07-R10 duals w/flat belly, doved front, bobbed bed, all pro 5" springs F&R, lincoln locked F&R, 38.5" sx's and still at it!
CHECK THE BUILD

93tonkatoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jun 03, 2008, 03:35:43 PM »
irok's do great on rocks too!

Thanks crawler. Maybe one day, I'll be able to try mine on some rocks. :down:

I shall infuse thy Jeep with the Essence of Toyota...and maybe that one won't pee on itself at the first sight of granite. - Duffil

SAVE TELLICO post 491

TIMS89CRAWLER

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Oct '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jun 03, 2008, 04:17:35 PM »
Thanks crawler. Maybe one day, I'll be able to try mine on some rocks. :down:
your welcome man... I dont have my irok's yet but soon I will... I know a few people who have them and love them on the rocks...

www.choptechfab.com

CHECK THE BUILD

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #15 on: Jun 03, 2008, 04:21:05 PM »
thats what i was pretty sure of, so what would you say the best (most aggresive and decent life tire is) for rocks, mud, and street?

TIMS89CRAWLER

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Oct '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jun 03, 2008, 04:30:14 PM »
thats what i was pretty sure of, so what would you say the best (most aggresive and decent life tire is) for rocks, mud, and street?
I know BigMike really likes his goodyear mtr's... I have heard other good reports on them as well... what do you do most road driving? or occasional driver it all matters what u use it for most....

www.choptechfab.com

CHECK THE BUILD

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #17 on: Jun 03, 2008, 04:32:32 PM »
yea idk. i just want some good solid info before i buy anyhting. i liked the pitbulls too. idk how expensive they are thoug.

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jun 03, 2008, 07:06:01 PM »
From what I hear, the bias iroks wear out quickly but do great on the rocks, while the radials wear longer but don't do as well on the rocks.  Norcal, judging by where you live I'm going to guess you may do quite a bit of muddy trails or logging roads, so you may want to consider that pretty much everybody who's run mtr say they're assy in the mud.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #19 on: Jun 03, 2008, 07:29:01 PM »
yup. pretty much all the local wheeling is logging roads atleast part way, and much of it is clay, nice and thick. friend almost flipped his 81 in it...after sliding down an bank into an old blocked off logging road. fun times...

93tonkatoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jun 03, 2008, 07:44:43 PM »
yup. pretty much all the local wheeling is logging roads atleast part way, and much of it is clay, nice and thick. friend almost flipped his 81 in it...after sliding down an bank into an old blocked off logging road. fun times...

For conditions like that (thick clay), you need a very "open" or agressive tread design, so that the lugs will press into the mud, and as the tire rolls forward, it will sling it out (makes for a messy truck! :yupyup: ). Any tire with narrow grooves will just pack up and be no better than racing slicks on ice. I learned that lesson with the BFG AT's I had on mine. A sloppy clay road with walls on both sides, and a tree trunk sticking out of the side - my first dent! A tire such as the Super Swamper sx is a good all-around tire, and they are not too bad for noise on the street, for being as agressive as they are. I think the compound in them is a little firmer than the IROK, so they should wear better with some street use.

SAVE TELLICO post 491

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jun 03, 2008, 07:55:29 PM »
A tire such as the Super Swamper sx is a good all-around tire, and they are not too bad for noise on the street, for being as agressive as they are. I think the compound in them is a little firmer than the IROK, so they should wear better with some street use.
x2........they are pretty quiet for what they are....i was thinking the same thing...the compound is harder than, say, an Irok so they dont chunk as much. I have quite a few trips on mine and can still drive down the road at 75 mph comfortably. Dynabeads help too....
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Jun 03, 2008, 09:25:01 PM »
I was wondering if you were above the clay line  :haha:  And fyi, there is no such thing as a tire that'll work well in our clay  :nope:  I've had it cake on about 3" thick on a set of new cooper muds and start pushing me over the edge of a trail.  I had to manually scoop it off each tire and dig my own ruts to get back into the main ruts so I wouldn't have to call stocker to come pull me out with the chebby  :burnout:
RIP KYOTA

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 759
  • Male Posts: 13,855
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #23 on: Jun 03, 2008, 09:36:28 PM »
I had a set once and I liked them, there are a lot better choices these days though. They are loud on the street but offroad they worked very good for me on my 84 standard cab. They don't last long either on a daily driver.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #24 on: Jun 04, 2008, 03:37:51 PM »
I was wondering if you were above the clay line  :haha:  And fyi, there is no such thing as a tire that'll work well in our clay  :nope:  I've had it cake on about 3" thick on a set of new cooper muds and start pushing me over the edge of a trail.  I had to manually scoop it off each tire and dig my own ruts to get back into the main ruts so I wouldn't have to call stocker to come pull me out with the chebby  :burnout:
haha, yea my bro was telling me a story about how he had to get his chevy to pull out a friend (same guy with 81 toy) and how he barely made it. whats funny is that his ruts are still on that hill today. nobody else has gone up it in a truck in the slop to leave ruts deeper...

that clay is fun on a quad with gnarly tires, but not much else is gonna get close to makin it up any kind of hill.

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Re: Super Swamper TrXus STS's
« Reply #25 on: Jun 09, 2008, 07:17:09 PM »
what about these?

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Jun 10, 2008, 05:48:12 AM »
what about these?
I have never seen those on the trail if that means anything.....

seen em on lots of mall crawlers and duners though.... the tread voids/lugs arent big enough for any kind of slop or muddy conditions from what I can see.... (I dont have any personal experience with this tire...just what I have seen)
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

TIMS89CRAWLER

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Oct '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Jun 10, 2008, 02:34:29 PM »
not too sure on these I dont know anyone who has tried them out yet.... but as I see above I see plenty of pavement pounders with them on and I have seen them at the dunes as well and I am sure they do well out there.... :dunno:

www.choptechfab.com

CHECK THE BUILD

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Jun 10, 2008, 02:38:23 PM »
looks like a good street tire....

i wonder if STS might have anything to do with STreetS
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #29 on: Jun 10, 2008, 02:41:49 PM »
i jus think its a cool ass lookin tire.

intercos claim:

The TrXus STS, the STS stands for Three Stage Sidewall, is a new concept in all terrain tires. These tires are not intended to be a substitute for the Super Swamper or Bogger tires but a tire for you if you spend a lot of time on the street. Besides working so well on the street it has good off road performance and excels in snow and sand. It is also very much at home in the rocks and will impress anyone with its all around performance. This tire is going to set a new standard in the all terrain category.