Author Topic: My buddys 22re  (Read 1677 times)

JohnHalladay

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -6
  • Male Posts: 221
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
My buddys 22re
« on: Jun 02, 2008, 06:45:07 PM »
ok im posting this for my buddy. he bought a motor off craigslist that is rebuilt and we put it in his truck and it fries right up but its sitting in his truck shaking like a big block. and when we put it in gear and and tryed to drive it the motor dies. and i know how to drive a stick so dont say its my fault! haha i am woundering if maybe we could have put the clutch in backwards? would that cause the motor to shake like a pig? or could his motor mounts be bad? what do you think?  :screwy:

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,058
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: My buddys 22re
« Reply #1 on: Jun 02, 2008, 07:00:54 PM »
ok im posting this for my buddy. he bought a motor off craigslist that is rebuilt and we put it in his truck and it fries right up but its sitting in his truck shaking like a big block. and when we put it in gear and and tryed to drive it the motor dies. and i know how to drive a stick so dont say its my fault! haha i am woundering if maybe we could have put the clutch in backwards? would that cause the motor to shake like a pig? or could his motor mounts be bad? what do you think?  :screwy:

Sadly, I can say that my clutch has been installed both ways and I couldn't tell any difference.  I don't think the flywheel or pressure plate can be installed backwards so I doubt that would be the issue.   :hammerhead:

I'm certainly not a mechanic, but if it's really that rough isn't there something like a harmonic balancer on motors?  :dunno:
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

JohnHalladay [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 02, 2008, 07:21:46 PM »
yea theres a harmonic balancer on the motor but a harmonic balancer on a toyota is also know as the crank pully as well right? or there the same thing i think. so i dont think its the harmonic balancer

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 15
  • Male Posts: 1,335
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 02, 2008, 09:03:51 PM »
As for the shaking problem (assuming it is running properly and everything is adjusted properly):

- it could be that when the engine was rebuilt, the rotating parts were somehow thrown way out of balance. 

- maybe a weight was knocked off the flywhee.

- Maybe the front crank pulley has come apart - I've seen the outer pulley separate from the rubber isolator.

- The idle could be set too low (750 to 850 rpm with TE1 jumped to E1 is on the DLC1 engine room connector is normal)

- a valve could have been bent when the head was set on the block (or it stuck open when it fired up)- this will cause a lack compression    and the motor to run on 3 cylinders (it happend to me the first time I rebuilt my 22re).

My guess is that it's the last one - do a compression test and find out if they all have 180 psi of compression or not.
"A friend will help you move.  A real friend will help you move a body."

"They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken"

"Hopefully, if I crap in a gopher hole, one doesn't try and nibble at my taint"  - my freind Fat Tony

"I once read somewhere that drinking causes violence, so I quit reading"

93tonkatoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 463
  • Member since Jul '07
  • drive it till it breaks! then break out the tools.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 02, 2008, 09:09:09 PM »
Could also be missing on one cylinder.
It ain't worth doin' if you don't have to clean up afterwards!

Build it, break it, fix it, repeat until your wallet is empty.

I shall infuse thy Jeep with the Essence of Toyota...and maybe that one won't pee on itself at the first sight of granite. - Duffil

SAVE TELLICO post 491

spplater

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 277
  • Male Posts: 16
  • Member since May '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 02, 2008, 10:12:18 PM »
timing could be way off

newbe94

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 80
  • Member since May '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 03, 2008, 06:21:25 AM »
also check if the computer matches everything you might be able to start if but the air fuel mixture can be reading differently from the computer an when you step on the gas there might be too much air or fuel. also check your spark an your vacuums.

*ROKTOY*

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,066
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun 03, 2008, 06:44:54 AM »
May have a plug wire crossed (firing order)

JohnHalladay [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jun 03, 2008, 04:08:18 PM »
ok thanks guys ill give those all a shot. then i run a compression test on his motor then ill post the results.