Author Topic: The best brand of oil and filters for a yota?  (Read 11149 times)

94MtnYote

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 6
  • Member since Oct '07
  • - 94 std cab-
    • View Profile
The best brand of oil and filters for a yota?
« on: May 27, 2008, 03:15:01 PM »
  I usually go with 10-30 Castrol GTX and thought I'd throw on Bosch filter.
 Toyota obviously recommends 10-30, but I know folks that run 20-50 in their 22re.
22RE .30 over, mild cam, K&N, LCE header, 2.25'' pipe, high flow cat, Magnaflow.
 Marlin 1200LB clutch

no substitute for 4wheel drive.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
Re: The best brand of oil and filters for a yota?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 03:59:02 PM »
My baby gets Lexus filters imported from Japan and of course Toyota brand oil
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 04:11:43 PM »
I usually run 10/30 or 10/40 in the 91 to try and help with the rattle on startup, but have always used 20/50 in the 4by.  I usually use regular old valvoline or castrol gtx.  I use wix filters most the time, but toyota filters are good and very reasonably priced.  I think they're even cheaper than my wix, I'm just too lazy to get a case of the toy filters.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

WHITE_TRASH

• Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 04:12:55 PM »
The old engine got on sale.....

The new engine got broken in with dino oil and a wix filter.  First oil change is to Mobil 1 and a wix filter.
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

porkchop

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 630
  • Member since Jun '07
  • Yeah 2 @ 1 time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 04:21:26 PM »
I am running purolator filter with check valve in it and toyota oil
85 TRUCK AUSSIE IN FRONT LINCON AROUND BACK MARLIN 4" SPRINGS UP FRONT WITH 63 CHEVYS ON BACK. REBUILT 22R WITH CRAWL CAM AND FEW OTHER THINGS NOTHING HUGE JUST WAITING TO GET PROPANE ON IT. RUNNIN 35'S M/T WITH MY LONGFIELDS 30 SPLINE SUPER AXLES. 4.7's IN T-CASE AND ON THE WAY WITH DUAL CASES. FULL HYDRO WITH TG ROCK ASSULT PUMP AND 2 X 6 AG RAM

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 04:22:46 PM »
usually run gtx, 20-50, but have aslo run gtx 10-30,10-40 and have also run rotella 15-40 for diesels (still approved for gas though)

i run usually the ford fl1a filters, but napa gold (wix) and ac delco are good too

i only run dino oil

mobil is a great oil and a great filter... but synthetic and too :bling: for me

[size=8]FRAM OIL FILTERS SUCK DONKEY NUTS![/size]

:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

WHITE_TRASH

• Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 04:45:12 PM »
Mobil 1 full synthetic is only like $15 for 5 quarts.... Not a biggy compared to $12 for 5 quarts of dino...  ;)

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 05:06:16 PM »
If you want the BEST oil filter it is without a doubt Amsoil Eao filters for about $15 a shot.  You can read about them at www.bobistheoilguy.com forum.  What I learned from a professional who did an analysis on some oil for me is that he believes that CURRENT Pennzoil Platinum formulation is the best off the shelf oil on the market.  I believe he liked Mobil 1 products in the past, but wouldn't run it currently if it was given to him (keep in mind that you can easily run Wal-Mart SuperTech and not hurt your engine so it's all relative).

10w-30 is better than 5w-30 because it is more resistant to shearing because it contains less of the "modifiers" that are required to spread the gap between the low and high numbers.

I run Pennzoil Platinum 10w-30 in my 89 22RE with either Napa Gold (WIX) or Mobil 1 filters.  The reason I use the Mobil 1 is to support the local oil store that collects used oil.  It is about the only thing I purchase from them and their only other filter option is Fram.

Personally, I would choose oil in the following order: Synthetic - Pennzoil Platinum or Valvoline Maxlife (won't hurt a new engine in any way), Blend - Valvoline Maxlife & Conventional - There is very little distinction so buyers choice.

I believe White Trash hates Pennzoil and I stayed away for a long time until I joined BITOG forum and saw actual test results.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 05:10:12 PM »
My baby gets Lexus filters imported from Japan and of course Toyota brand oil

Toyota doesn't make oil or filters so do you know where they actually comes from?  :dunno: 
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

WHITE_TRASH

• Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 05:26:59 PM »

I believe White Trash hates Pennzoil and I stayed away for a long time until I joined BITOG forum and saw actual test results.

I hate pennzoil after tearing down engines years ago.  I can't say anything about the current furmulation but just the facts I saw years ago has kept me from running it today. 

Honestly I can't see the point in most of the arguments.  Just run a known oil and change the filter often.  As long as you don't scorch the oil it'll be fine, the cheap filters will clog up quickly though so they need to be changed more.  Years ago my grandpa ran synthetic in a brand new buick.  He changed the filter and added a quart every 15k miles.  Car was still ticking at 300k so appearantly it was a good idea... :hahaha:

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 05:56:16 PM »

I hate pennzoil after tearing down engines years ago.  I can't say anything about the current furmulation but just the facts I saw years ago has kept me from running it today. 

Honestly I can't see the point in most of the arguments.  Just run a known oil and change the filter often.  As long as you don't scorch the oil it'll be fine, the cheap filters will clog up quickly though so they need to be changed more.  Years ago my grandpa ran synthetic in a brand new buick.  He changed the filter and added a quart every 15k miles.  Car was still ticking at 300k so appearantly it was a good idea... :hahaha:

I will admit that I would choose to run a conventional or blend other than Pennzoil for the same reasons I suspect you don't like them from the past.  The synthetic base oils for all oils are so highly refined that they all work well.  It has more to do with the add pack than the base oil when it comes to quality.

Napa is Valvoline but the add pack is weaker meaning it won't last as long, but easily 3-5,000 miles in almost every engine.  The same goes for Wal-Mart brand oil.  If it is SM approved it has met a minimum standard that is way more than adequate.

The latest general rule is 5,000 miles on conventional and 7,500 to 10,000 miles on synthetics depending on the engine (never exceed you warranty requirements).

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2008, 06:19:07 PM »
I run the stuff that drips off the pan of my chev. and a fram filter too.  :thumbs:
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2008, 06:24:50 PM »
20w/50 Havoline or GTX

Purolator 30001  (used to be called PER1A)

86 22RE  165000 miles
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

crawlerdan

• Turtle Points: 1319
  • Male Posts: 4,770
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2008, 06:25:07 PM »

[size=8]FRAM OIL FILTERS SUCK DONKEY NUTS![/size]

hahahahahah nuts....

i run toyota filters and napa oil...who ever really make those i have no idea

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2008, 06:52:31 PM »
Gee I wonder what I run?

Valvoline Durablend 5-30 and my filter is a Valvoline V01. It's not the correct filter by the book but it is bigger than the stock by maybe 2 1/2 times and it has the same thread, ports and seal. Made for old International trucks.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Jud

• Scumbaggin
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -261
  • Male Posts: 3,067
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Gettin it since 1990
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2008, 06:59:23 PM »
I run the Autozone $15 oil change specials! I run a 10w-40 with a oversize (1qt.) oil filter. Fram is PH-16, Bosch is 0330 I think, and STP is S16.
One Ton Single Cab  - http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=48229

"bout tree fiddy"

bigarms23

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 111
  • Male Posts: 2,897
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2008, 09:21:47 PM »
for mine i use 10-40 castrol and i use k&n oil filters
88 4runner 92 cpi duals 37 radial rockers and 4.8 coming soon

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2008, 09:28:04 PM »
the fl1a ford fitler that i use is huge.... i beleive it is the same one rocksurfer is running in size.....

frams comparative part number is the ph8a, and it is the same size as what most ford trucks and mustangs run, my explorers run them too....

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2008, 09:56:45 PM »
the fl1a ford fitler that i use is huge.... i beleive it is the same one rocksurfer is running in size.....

frams comparative part number is the ph8a, and it is the same size as what most ford trucks and mustangs run, my explorers run them too....

Yeah that is the Fram # but I wouldn't use a Fram even if you paid me to, even if I were a distributor.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2008, 10:15:46 PM »
Valvoline Durablend 5-30 and my filter is a Valvoline V01. It's not the correct filter by the book but it is bigger than the stock by maybe 2 1/2 times and it has the same thread, ports and seal. Made for old International trucks.

I always run full 5 qt jug.  I have run a larger WIX filter, but wasn't able to xreference to the Mobil 1 this time.  The larger filter helps offset the extra capacity.

toyotamobing

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -8
  • Male Posts: 1,244
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
    • Poly Performance
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2008, 10:34:55 PM »
when i had a blown head gasket and changing my oil every week i would use valuecraft "for older cars" oil at $.95 a quart, but mow im running M1 syn 5w30 since i got it for free from my old work...ive only got one oil change left...with stp or napa filters, oh and this is in my 84 22r(my 3rd one)
1996 Tacoma 3rz auto 4x4
1993 Jeep XJ 2 door 5spd 4cyl 4x4
1996 Dodge 3500 12V 5spd 4x4

@alteredegospeedshop

MAKING A SLOW TRUCK GO FAST SINCE 2003

!!POLY GOATS!!
www.polygoats.com

POLY PERFORMANCE
www.polyperformance.com

KDXSR5

• Poser Shot Extraordinaire
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 61
  • Male Posts: 2,812
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2008, 10:35:52 PM »
Currently I run valvoline max-life semi-synthetic 10w-30 with a NAPA Gold (Wix) filter... engine is an 88 with around 200,000-ish... still runs strong from idle to 6000 without making a tick or knock. I change the oil every 3 months regardless of milage. I put about 4000 miles on this truck a year.

I have ran the stock sized filter since the first change and have never had a problem. I have tried larger capacity filters such as the ford one, and all it did was cause my oil pressure to raise slower, other than that, I did not see a gain at all.

The rebuilt engine I am dropping in (the original 85 engine) is getting broken in on Rotella-T for first 100 miles using NAPA Gold (Wix) filter, then I am going to switch over to Valvoline Synthetic 10w-30 for the rest of the motor's life along with NAPA Gold (Wix) filters.

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2008, 10:38:24 PM »
Currently I run valvoline max-life semi-synthetic 10w-30 with a NAPA Gold (Wix) filter... engine is an 88 with around 200,000-ish... still runs strong from idle to 6000 without making a tick or knock. I change the oil every 3 months regardless of milage. I put about 4000 miles on this truck a year.

I have ran the stock sized filter since the first change and have never had a problem. I have tried larger capacity filters such as the ford one, and all it did was cause my oil pressure to raise slower, other than that, I did not see a gain at all.

The rebuilt engine I am dropping in (the original 85 engine) is getting broken in on Rotella-T for first 100 miles using NAPA Gold (Wix) filter, then I am going to switch over to Valvoline Synthetic 10w-30 for the rest of the motor's life along with NAPA Gold (Wix) filters.

100 miles for break in?! most peopel run dino for the first oil change at least (3 months) i dont think everything will be seated properly @ 100 miles....

~ John F. Kennedy ~

KDXSR5

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2008, 10:39:35 PM »
I have my methods of doing things... by 100-300 miles, it should be about as broken in as it is going to get if I follow my break in routine. Once the engine starts, it is getting held at 2000 rpm for 20 mins to break in the cam. Then I will change the oil and filter. Then, I will start it and drive it up and down the mountain varrying rpm the whole way. This puts a load on the engine forcing the rings to grind against the nice crosshatch on the cylinders to break in the rings. After that, I will change the oil and filter again. Lastly, I will make five moderate to hard pulls from 1500-4000 rpm after warming the engine up. After that, I will change the oil yet again, and drive it for a while not exceeding 4000 rpm. After that, I will change out to the synthetic stuff and a new filter for the rest of the engine's life.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 10:45:11 PM by KDXSR5 »

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2008, 10:40:17 PM »
Yeah that is the Fram # but I wouldn't use a Fram even if you paid me to, even if I were a distributor.

yup, thats why i listed it as a comparative number..... haha, didnt you see my huge post earleir that said fram oil filters suck?! lol

i will never put a fram oil filter on my truck

~ John F. Kennedy ~

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2008, 10:58:27 PM »
for mine i use 10-40 castrol and i use k&n oil filters

I like those filters a lot, but it's tough to stomach $12 a filter  :ack:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

94MtnYote [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '07
  • - 94 std cab-
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2008, 11:04:42 PM »
 Ha ha yeah, at the parts counter I asked for a 22re oil filter and the guy went to grab me a Fram cause thats what he runs. I said I'll go with the Bosch, thank you!
22RE .30 over, mild cam, K&N, LCE header, 2.25'' pipe, high flow cat, Magnaflow.
 Marlin 1200LB clutch

94MtnYote [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '07
  • - 94 std cab-
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2008, 11:06:40 PM »

How much more capacity will this yield with the bigger filter?
 Marlin 1200LB clutch

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2008, 11:10:06 PM »
How much more capacity will this yield with the bigger filter?

the filter itself is huge... so that much more......

stock filter is probably about the size of half a soda can... the fl1a is as long as a soda can, and about 3" in diameter

~ John F. Kennedy ~

KDXSR5

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2008, 11:12:13 PM »
I ran the k&n one once and decided it was a waste of money, I saw no imporvment using it